Composite Exhaust Gaskess

356 Porsche-related discussions and questions.
Jurgen Amtmann
356 Fan

Composite Exhaust Gaskess

#1 Post by Jurgen Amtmann »

In a recent post someone mentioned Composite exhaust gaskets (I think steel center or wrap) sold or made by a Registry member. I can't remember who and can't find the post. Anyone help? Jürgen

John Brooks
356 Fan

Re: Composite Exhaust Gaskess

#2 Post by John Brooks »

356 exhaust Brand Remflex
Manufacturer Part Number 32-002

Most of our parts vendors will have them
John Brooks

62 Roadster
66 912
84 Cab
getting pushed around in porsches since 1965

Martin Benade
356 Fan

#3 Post by Martin Benade »

I think you meant one from Wrightwood Racing that is included in their gasket sets. I believe Jacques mentioned it as an expensive high quality set.
Jurgen, you may also be thinking of Vic’s excellent valve cover gaskets, which everyone should always use.
Last edited by Martin Benade on Wed Sep 21, 2022 6:11 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Cleveland Ohio
62 Cabriolet
56 VW
02 IS 300
04 Sienna

James Rowe
356 Fan
Tag: Spend time behind the wheel!

#4 Post by James Rowe »

John Brooks wrote: Wed Sep 21, 2022 12:37 pm 356 exhaust Brand Remflex
Manufacturer Part Number 32-002

Most of our parts vendors will have them
I just installed these where it was leaking at the muffler, cured the problem. I got them from Summit Racing in two days,

Martin Benade
356 Fan

#5 Post by Martin Benade »

I haven’t tried them as the plain old factory ones work fine for me but the Remflex gaskets are very well liked. Luckily I have no Dansk products.
Cleveland Ohio
62 Cabriolet
56 VW
02 IS 300
04 Sienna

Dave Erickson
356 Fan

#6 Post by Dave Erickson »

Martin Benade wrote: Wed Sep 21, 2022 1:47 pm ... Vic’s excellent valve cover gaskets, which everyone should always use.
Martin, I have about a dozen cork V/C gaskets, so I continue to use them. When they run out I will buy a set from Vic. I find that if the cork gaskets are sprayed on one side with gasket compound (I use the Permatex copper spray-a-gasket) and clamped in place they will last a long time.

Greg Bryan
356 Fan

#7 Post by Greg Bryan »

I thought I'd try the Remflex gasket, so I bought a set - quite expensive. They are very thick, I found - 3-4mm, at least. Since I have engines with Euro heater boxes, it is a very tight fit at the best of times to get the boxes on and off, and with those gaskets, I think impossible. So I continue witht he standard gasket set ones and just make sure the flanges are flat with my trusty old mill bastard.
Greg Bryan

Greg Bryan
356 Fan

#8 Post by Greg Bryan »

Also, I've given up on the old floppy valve cover gaskets since the metal sandwich type are so much superior.
No more soaking the gaskets in warm water to make them swell and fit - the Vic gaskets fit right every time without gasket goo. I think they're a skoshy thicker too which I like.
Greg Bryan

Martin Benade
356 Fan

#9 Post by Martin Benade »

I have certainly used the old cork vc gaskets with no trouble, but Vic’s are just so easy.
Cleveland Ohio
62 Cabriolet
56 VW
02 IS 300
04 Sienna

Dave Whittick
356 Fan

#10 Post by Dave Whittick »

Source to order Vic's gaskets?

The cork ones that most vendors sell are ridiculous. I'm continually amazed at the quality of aftermarket parts for these cars! I can force one of these new cork gaskets into position and glue them in place but it would a whole lot easier if the manufacturers just cut them the correct size in the first place. I've been driving aircooled VW's for 30 years and have owned Beeltes as old as 1947. I can still buy cork valve cover gaskets for them that are nice and thick and the exact shape and size as the covers. I never glue them in place. There's no need.

If there's something better than what Stoddard sells, I'm in.

James Rowe
356 Fan
Tag: Spend time behind the wheel!

#11 Post by James Rowe »

Dave Whittick wrote: Sat Sep 24, 2022 1:12 pm Source to order Vic's gaskets?

The cork ones that most vendors sell are ridiculous. I'm continually amazed at the quality of aftermarket parts for these cars! I can force one of these new cork gaskets into position and glue them in place but it would a whole lot easier if the manufacturers just cut them the correct size in the first place. I've been driving aircooled VW's for 30 years and have owned Beeltes as old as 1947. I can still buy cork valve cover gaskets for them that are nice and thick and the exact shape and size as the covers. I never glue them in place. There's no need.

If there's something better than what Stoddard sells, I'm in.
Vic’s Valve Cover Gaskets are the best. Cork on both sides with metal in between.
His website is
https://356enterprises.com/

I just got a set last week.

Doug McDonnell
356 Fan

#12 Post by Doug McDonnell »

Vic mentioned this summer that there was a supply problemwith his gaskets but he was hoping for a resolution. OK September 8th he said that he had a limited supply again.
1965 356C 2000 BMW 740i Sport 1967 Honda CL77 There is never enough time to do it right, but always enough time to do it over.

Vic Skirmants
Registry Hall of Fame

#13 Post by Vic Skirmants »

We are the only source for those gaskets. Stoddard's, Sierra Madre, etc. all buy from us.
We are referring to the valve cover gaskets.