What Tire fits

356 Porsche-related discussions and questions.
George Walling
356 Fan

What Tire fits

#1 Post by George Walling »

I'm sure this has been covered over the years but do to my lack of computer skills I'm un able to find a thread covering what tires will fit my 55 Speedster. I have 41/2 X 15J steel wheels on her. I currently have 165R15 Michelin X tires but they are no longer made. So what tire size will inter-change to the 165R15. I have been told that there is very few tires made now in the small 165R15 class. My Michelins are a very tight fit getting the side wall to clear the rear fenders when I take them off so I either wiggle them off or deflate them when removing or installing them. Which I've been told is a usual on the early 356 Speedster's. With all this said what tire sizes will fit my wheels and still get them on and off. Once the 165 are on I have no problem with clearance, it is just getting them to fit between the rear fender outer lip and the brake drum when inflated and removing or installing them.
I'm just looking for a good daily driving tire. Thanks for any input on what you all are running on your cars. Have a great 356 day. George
George E Walling

Barry Brisco
356 Fan
Tag: Porsche enthusiast

#2 Post by Barry Brisco »

Hi George,

The chart at http://www.356registry.com/techinfo/repair/tires.html might be helpful. There are a couple of tire manufacturers still making 165 R15 tires: Vredestein and Nexen and maybe others. Also search the web for Kumho Powerstar 758 in the 165 size, there may still be some available.

If you use the "Search" link at the top of any 356Talk web page and search the main Forum for "tire AND size AND Speedster" you will find a discussion at http://356registry.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=8192

Also, this discussion http://356registry.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=20973 contains a lot of good information. I found that by searching for "tire AND size".

Best regards,
Barry Brisco
1959 356A Coupe 105553, Ivory / Brown
2009 987 Cayman, Carrera White / Beige (daily driver)

George Walling
356 Fan

What tire fits

#3 Post by George Walling »

Well spent 3 hours at the three local tire stores checking on tires for the 55 Speedster. I thinking about going with the 155/80R/15 as the tire fits better in the spare tire compartment and clears the rear brake drum and rear fender lip. Can't believe the 10mm smaller width of the 155 compared to the 165/80R/15 made that much difference in the spare tire compartment and was a little easier to get clear of the rear brake drum and fender lip. I'm getting the BF Goodrich T/A the store has them in stock. I'm just going to use the car as a Sunday driver and no real hard driving so I think the 155 will work fine I wish that they were just a little closer to the same diameter as the 165/R80/15 but guess the 3/4" shorter won't be that big a deal.
Any way just wanted to thank everyone for there suggestions and expertise you all are a real class act just great having all this help from the 356 Registry and looking forward to getting to meet some of you one this old girl is on the road again. Have a great 356 week.
George E Walling

Bob DiCorpo
356 Fan

What Tires Fit

#4 Post by Bob DiCorpo »

George,
I've attached a link to a website that sells Vredestian tires in the 165/15 size. This is the correct size tire for the 4 1/2 X 15 wheel as originally installed by Porsche. This is an outstanding tire. The current Michelin 165/15 tires are sold only through Coker Tire and are priced north of $160 each.
As your car is a '55 Speedster, it most likely was originally delivered by Porsche with 3 1/2" X 16" wheels. The tires would have been bias ply and not radials. Even if it was produced very late in '55 and Porsche had put 15" wheels on it, they would have still been bias ply. Radials were not on 356's yet in early '56.
I would not suggest to use a smaller tire than the 165/15, as it may change your ride as well as the look of your Speedster. Bob
http://www.tiresunlimited.com/ALL%20TIR ... lassic.htm
Bob DiCorpo
'56 Speedster
Massachusetts 

Matt Wilson
356 Fan

#5 Post by Matt Wilson »

good call Bob! Vredestian sprint classic tires in the 165/15 size, hold the road like sh#t to a blanket. just put them on mine and really impressed
www.oldtimeroldspeedclub.blogspot.com

Edwin Ek
356 Fan

#6 Post by Edwin Ek »

+1 for Vredesteins. Don't go with narrower tires, it'll make that old Speedster even more squirrelly. I understand the 155's are easier to put on and take off, and fit better in the trunk. But how often do you do that in comparison to how much time you spend driving?1 to 1,000?

George Walling
356 Fan

What Tires Fit

#7 Post by George Walling »

Well thanks to all of you who gave your thoughts and recommendations I ordered a set of the Vredestein 165HR15 tires for my 55 Speedster. They should be here in about 4 weeks as they are waiting for a new shippment to come in from there supplier.
I was having a hard time desiding between 155 or the 165 but after reading all the postings from you folks I went with your recommendations. Thanks again for all the help Have a gr3eat 356 summer. George
George E Walling

Pat Daily
356 Fan

#8 Post by Pat Daily »

I have Vredesteins on my 63 with 51/2 wheels--love them --had them for a year. I got the 185x 78 Classics.
Pat Daily
Midlothian, VA
356B coupe (121123 aka "Fast Frieda") 

Al Zim
356 Fan

Tires

#9 Post by Al Zim »

Pre-A cars can with a little work obrtain a situation that will allow a tire change without wiggeling the tire or deflating the tire to install. At the end of the torsion bar where the sping plate rests, there is a stop that sits proud of the housing for the torsion bar. It is my understanding that if you remove this bump, the spring plate will be able to move further in a downward arc allowing the tire to easily slide over the drum. I have never owned a car that required this.
Tires are not all the same size. Michelin tires always seem to be smaller than other tires with similar dimensions. Measuring the tire is the only way to acertain what will fit. You need to ask yourself if you need a S or V rated tire. I believe that a S rated tire is rated for sustained 130 MPH and the V at 145. So paying additional for these tires will not enhance the handling or drivability of a Pre-A car.
I my two 356 cars I use Michelin 195/65-15 tires (harmony) these are Mercedes Benz size. They are diesigned for a 5 inch or larger rim, but will work on a 4.5 inch rim. Don't tell the Tire Rack that you have 4.5 inch rim, their company policy is not to put tires on rims that are not in their specifications. al zim
www.allzim.com 
356 Parts and Services
www.facebook.com/ZimsAuto/
www.instagram.com/zims_autotechnik/

S.J. Szabo

#10 Post by S.J. Szabo »

The one good thing about the Pre-A spring plate stop is that it inhibits the tendency to jack up on the outside wheel, a common problem in swing-axle cars that the Pre-As had in spades.

And it is the "H" rated tire that is good to 130mph; the "S" rated tire is good to, I believe, 112 mph, a speed that has little margin of performance on a 356. 'Course, if they're on the typical Creampuff, I 'spose safety-at-speed is a moot point, but as I actually drive my coupe, I never use anything less than an "H".

Finally, anyone can do what they want, but there is a good reason why most pro sources advise against running a 195 on a 4.5" rim...... It is always an ill conceived choice to run any tire on a too-skinny wheel as the practice has a very deleterious effect on the handling and operational life of the tire.

Keep 'em flying....