356C battery box question

356 Porsche-related discussions and questions.
Dave Menche
356 Fan

356C battery box question

#1 Post by Dave Menche »

On my 356C coupe we are rebuilding the batterybox floors , sides, and rear. we have no referance for how deep the floor should be. should the floor extend below the level of the torsion tube mounts or be flush? this is a C car.

also the car has the heater bulge in the left side battery box wall. how close should the floor be to the bulge. the bulge has a flange around it , does the floor interfere with the bottom of the flange? On mine the bottom of the flange has about half its width cut away, not sure if this should be like that or not

Can anyone please supply photos of the interior of the battery box floor, and walls, . really could use photo of interior and exterior (under fender) of the heater bulge. and also a front on view of the nose to get an idea of how far if any the battery box might hang down. it would be best for photos to come from an original no-crash car. mine had old collision repair, so it is hard to reference.

thank you

dave

Dan Macdonald
356 Fan

#2 Post by Dan Macdonald »

Here's the battery area of my '65 C coupe. Hope that helps.

Dan Macdonald 
'59 A Coupe (105327) 
'57 Speedster (82954) 
Registry #1921 (1982) 
DMAIA@aol.com
My YouTube Channel: Tinmeister 356

Dave Menche
356 Fan

photo

#3 Post by Dave Menche »

thanks for the photos. do you have any of the driver side that show the heater bulge well? If you can stick the camera down in there that would be great, so we can geta battery eye view of the driver side wall.

also a photo of the inner wheel well front driver side would be helpful. if this could show the hieght difference between torsion bar mount bottom and the battery floor level that would be of big help

also is any one near by to me with a clean 356C car i may look at? I am interested in taking a few tape measurements, and some photos of the battery box/front end. my entire nose and battery box is in process of collision repair. the blue prints we have do not cover all that we need. if a local 356C owner will let me take a few measurements and photos of a non-damaged car that would be great.
I am in Redwood City, CA

thanks
dave

PS shop where car is at is in Pleasanton, so any local person there could be helpful too.

Adam McMeans
356 Fan

#4 Post by Adam McMeans »

I recently rebuilt the battery box...and a whole lot more! Take a peek...

Adam McMeans
1964 Coupe #129333
Discovery Bay, CA

Adam McMeans
356 Fan

#5 Post by Adam McMeans »

Oh ya...I work in Pleasanton, and when the sun shines I often have #129333 with me. PM me :wink:
Adam McMeans
1964 Coupe #129333
Discovery Bay, CA

Dave Menche
356 Fan

thanks

#6 Post by Dave Menche »

Adam. PM is sent, hope to connect with you today. thanks, the photos are a big help.

Phil Planck
356 Fan

#7 Post by Phil Planck »

Here are some pictures of Foam Car's (T6B)battery area. Can also get you dimensions as needed. Best way would be to post a marked up picture of what you need.

Phil Planck

Matt Kreeve
356 Fan
Tag: truckin' on

Re: 356C battery box question

#8 Post by Matt Kreeve »

is the bulge / indent in the frunk of a European C for the German / Swedish heater system? ie the opposite side from the battery ie the left side of the frunk when sitting in the car.
Attachments
356C frunk geramn cab.jpeg
356C frunk geramn cab.jpeg (60.3 KiB) Viewed 1317 times
Currently working on two nut+bolt resto's in Cape Town
'56 A RHD 5606 Silver Met) over Green - delivered Nairobi (Cooper Motor Corp)
'64 C RHD 6406 (Irisgrun) w Fawn (rehbraun) - delivered Johannesburg (Lindsay Saker)

Doug McDonnell
356 Fan

#9 Post by Doug McDonnell »

No it makes space for the optional BN4 gas heater.
Attachments
BN4 heater.jpg
BN4 heater.jpg (38.94 KiB) Viewed 1313 times
1965 356C 2000 BMW 740i Sport 1967 Honda CL77 There is never enough time to do it right, but always enough time to do it over.

Geoff Fleming
356 Fan

#10 Post by Geoff Fleming »

Matt,
The heater system you are thinking about is also known as the 'European' heater but as you mention, was mandated for use in Germany and Sweden, ( perhaps other Euro countries), in 1963. It uses very large heat exchangers and the air is taken from the front of the fan shroud, via a 'snout' and sent through the system. It is a 'fresh air' heater..well, pretty much. These are very effective, as the exchangers have three bends of exhaust that produce heat compared to the single length on the more commonly seen system. No flapper boxes are used with the 'Euro' heater and a drawback is that it adds a lot of weight. The warm air is directed into the cockpit in the same way as the regular system, via on/off valves and short hose lengths into the cabin. The gas fired heater by Eberspacher sits in the trunk and sends the heat into the cabin through the adjustable flappers found on T-6 cars, both sides of the trunk.

Matt Kreeve
356 Fan
Tag: truckin' on

#11 Post by Matt Kreeve »

Thank you Geoff and Doug!
Currently working on two nut+bolt resto's in Cape Town
'56 A RHD 5606 Silver Met) over Green - delivered Nairobi (Cooper Motor Corp)
'64 C RHD 6406 (Irisgrun) w Fawn (rehbraun) - delivered Johannesburg (Lindsay Saker)