Engine rebuild cost, 1600, S90, VS. hot rod 912. then &

356 Porsche-related discussions and questions.
charles kourmpates

Engine rebuild cost, 1600, S90, VS. hot rod 912. then &

#1 Post by charles kourmpates »

It would be interesting to compare notes on the rebuild costs of a simple stock 1600, S90 and that of a hot rod 912?

Case costs included, not to mention the third party machine shop costs.

Certainly labor would be the biggest variable, that is, many can assemble engines themselves.

My interest is in the "change" in expenses over the last five or six years.

Have pricing for machine shop labor, parts and assembly labor, increased as much as I expect?

Doubled over this short period of time?

Charles

Albert Tiedemann
356 Fan

#2 Post by Albert Tiedemann »

Here are some outlier data points for your base.

From a dealer invoice dated 1972, heat exchanger r $13.90, heat exchanger l $13.90
Sport muffler, no chromium tips $38. All list prices

From the factory workng time book. R&R engine . 2 hrs, Rebuild engine complete, 20 hrs.
The latter premised on all new parts.

With so many fingers likely in the pie, today, the chances of breaking the lacquer based sealant on case halves for latent sniffing is remote. I would doubt if you could do all the work in less than 60 hours if you count liaison with "outside Vendors" like balancing shops, machine shops, powder paint facilities and the like.

Basket cases--often now in plastic milk containers, cardboard boxes, grocery bags singly or in combination present another dilema for the experienced builder as well. Added to the "regular mix" of tasks for the rebuild you must add determining missing parts [make that replacement of incorrect and missing parts], finding the parts or making the parts which are truly no longer available.

On the topic of basket cases, I have heard the phrase..."is everything here/there" to which I have replied...pretty much, except for [something very obvious, likely] but it will be when I am finished".

In 1999 I built an engine and charged $1300 labor including installation. Today, I would charge $3000--but these engines are for serious competition. Many first place wins at local and national concours. Here is an example. This is my engine. No different effort then I would do on any engine. Only one standard.

1964 C Engine in 82984
Albert Tiedemann, C356C
"The Hermit"

Albert Tiedemann
356 Fan

#3 Post by Albert Tiedemann »

Well, I finally fiqured it out. When in doubt, keep on clicking. You will eventually click the right thing. See engine picture in above post
Albert Tiedemann, C356C
"The Hermit"