Hubcap clips

356 Porsche-related discussions and questions.
Bob Cannon
356 Fan

Hubcap clips

#1 Post by Bob Cannon »

This is just a head's up to anyone who wants to get really anal when replacing hubcap clips on drum brake wheels. While searching the Samba classifieds a while back, I stumbled on an ad for "Porsche" hubcap clips and bought a few sets. These are now being sold by Dario Calandra and differ from the usual "VW" clips available from commercial vendors in that they have the up turned end which Porsche wheel manufacturers originally supplied with their wheels. The accompanying picture shows the difference between the typical VW clip (left) and these new clips (right).
comparison of hubcap clips
comparison of hubcap clips
IMG_0744.jpg (106.92 KiB) Viewed 1136 times
These clips are spring steel, are plated and include rivets. They run $4 each, $20 for a set of 5.
So, if you are interested, here is the link to the Samba ad: https://www.thesamba.com/vw/classifieds ... d=2346893

Disclaimer: I have no connection to the vendor or the product; just passing along the information to those on the list who might be interested.
Bob Cannon
Sacramento, CA

Mike Wilson
Classifieds Monitor

Re: Hubcap clips

#2 Post by Mike Wilson »

Thanks for the info, Bob! Always good to know sources for correct parts.

Mike
Mike Wilson
Lomita, CA
'63 B coupe

James Davies
356Talk Moderator

#3 Post by James Davies »

Thanks Bob! I've been looking for these (and collecting old originals) for a long time. Nice to see correct reproductions made now.

James

mark bibler
356 Fan

#4 Post by mark bibler »

Hi guys. How difficult is it to replace the clips and new rivets? Any special tools needed? Thanks, Mark

Richard Emerson
356 Fan

#5 Post by Richard Emerson »

I’m having some wheels redone and will need to redo them with a patina look for a patina car.

I’m not planning on attaching hubcaps but want the clips on.

I’d like the most authentic look. Can original clips be reused? Are these identical?

Bruce Smith
356 Fan

#6 Post by Bruce Smith »

mark bibler wrote: Fri Feb 14, 2020 3:51 am Hi guys. How difficult is it to replace the clips and new rivets? Any special tools needed? Thanks, Mark
Drill the rivets out and install new rivets with a tool like this:

https://www2.cip1.com/ProductDetails.as ... 11-601-000
Attachments
VWC-111-601-000-2.jpg
VWC-111-601-000-2.jpg (44.1 KiB) Viewed 955 times
Bruce Smith

mark bibler
356 Fan

#7 Post by mark bibler »

Thanks Bruce! Can’t go wrong with “Original German Quality or Equivalent” tools. Carbs/dizzy doing great...thanks. M

Bob Cannon
356 Fan

#8 Post by Bob Cannon »

As far as I can determine, these clips are dead ringers for the originals. They are plated, but I am unsure if the originals were plated or black oxide finish.

Installation of hubcap clips is not difficult, but takes some patience. You will need to have the rivet "buck" (pictured), which is available from a number of vendors.
In addition, you will need:
1) a strong vise
2) a substantial hammer to flatten the rear side of the rivets (which need to be flush with the back of the wheel)
3) a helping-hand friend

This is a 2-person job and you will need a helper to hold and steady the wheel while you pound the rivets.
Bob Cannon
Sacramento, CA

Michael Branning
Registry Trustee
Instagram: @mtbranning

#9 Post by Michael Branning »

Bob Cannon wrote: Sat Feb 15, 2020 1:09 pm As far as I can determine, these clips are dead ringers for the originals. They are plated, but I am unsure if the originals were plated or black oxide finish.

Installation of hubcap clips is not difficult, but takes some patience. You will need to have the rivet "buck" (pictured), which is available from a number of vendors.
In addition, you will need:
1) a strong vise
2) a substantial hammer to flatten the rear side of the rivets (which need to be flush with the back of the wheel)
3) a helping-hand friend

This is a 2-person job and you will need a helper to hold and steady the wheel while you pound the rivets.
4) EAR PROTECTION :-)
Michael Branning
356 Registry Vice President/Trustee
'64 SR Coupe
61 S90 Roadster

Ronald Sieber
356 Fan

#10 Post by Ronald Sieber »

I have five original wheels that all needed hubcap spring clips for my ’57, and this is the method that I developed.

First and foremost is safety preparation. I made sure that I protected my eyes and ears, as I was banging on metal (photo 1). Clips break off with age and use, and have to be drilled to start, then punched out, and sometimes cold-chiseled off as well (photos 2a, 2b).

I used two vises to position the wheel so that it sat level and on the mounting tool that held each spring clip and its rivet, parts (and tool) that I had purchased from Stoddard. Primer went on all parts as well as mounting holes (photo 3). Note the rivet tool in the foreground-right, with clip and rivet positioned.

Using the two vises as a level platform, it is ideal to have an assistant hold the wheel while also out of the way. As seen in the photos:
• Position the wheel (photo 3b). Note the rivet shaft in the hole.
• Set a pocket in the rivet using a punch (photo 4b).
• Spread the rivet pocket a little using a body hammer/round-tip punch (photo 5).
• Peen the spreading rivet head using a ball-peen and mini-sledge (larger peen spreads better) (photo 6). Be sure to hammer with conviction.
• Check your clip to make sure that it is secure; hammer some more if it isn’t.
• Grind off any rough edges before priming your work (photo 7).

I adjusted my spring clips using an adjustable pliers and bending them back (safety glasses!). When released, they had about a 3/16” space between clip edge and wheel as original (photo 8). Then I test-mounted a hubcap to ensure that I could both install and then remove the cap. This requires a special tool, and luckily I have an old VW one with a shiny chrome cap that mounts in the jackpost when not in use. Cool little item!
Attachments
8 bend for clearance.jpg
8 bend for clearance.jpg (522.44 KiB) Viewed 823 times
7 Finished Rivet.jpg
7 Finished Rivet.jpg (1.35 MiB) Viewed 823 times
6 Peen Rivet to Flatten.jpg
6 Peen Rivet to Flatten.jpg (1.02 MiB) Viewed 823 times
5 Spread Rivet.jpg
5 Spread Rivet.jpg (993.32 KiB) Viewed 823 times
4b Pocket.jpg
4b Pocket.jpg (997.49 KiB) Viewed 823 times
3b ditto.jpg
3b ditto.jpg (1.07 MiB) Viewed 823 times
3 Prime Rivet Holes.jpg
3 Prime Rivet Holes.jpg (1.1 MiB) Viewed 823 times
2b Cold Chisel.jpg
2b Cold Chisel.jpg (1.5 MiB) Viewed 823 times
2a Drill Out b4 Punch.jpg
2a Drill Out b4 Punch.jpg (1.44 MiB) Viewed 823 times
1 Tools & Safety.jpg
1 Tools & Safety.jpg (1.05 MiB) Viewed 823 times

Ronald Sieber
356 Fan

#11 Post by Ronald Sieber »

That little VW hubcap puller that I bought at a Hershey swap meet so many years ago was something that I used on the baby moons of my '57 VW until I transitioned to a '57 356 with baby moons as well. Works like a charm and stows in the jack receiver on the side.
Attachments
9 hubcap tool.jpg
9 hubcap tool.jpg (944.84 KiB) Viewed 821 times

Martin Benade
356 Fan

#12 Post by Martin Benade »

Ron, hitting a hammer with another hammer is a major no-no. Years ago I was helping my boss doing that and I said to him that what we were doing was dangerous. He said not to worry but a minute later a 1/4” square chip flew off one of the hammers and totally disappeared inside my lip. I still have a scar and have been very thankful it wasn’t my eye!
Cleveland Ohio
62 Cabriolet
56 VW
02 IS 300
04 Sienna

Eric Meyer
356 Fan
Location: California's Central Coast, not quite New Zealand... but close

#13 Post by Eric Meyer »

An air chisel gets the clips off fast! Just place it behind the head of the rivet at an angle on the old clip face... (not under the clip) taking care to brace yourself for when it breaks loose so you don’t scratch the rim with the chisel. Watch out where you are doing it... because once it’s loose the little rivet will sail across your garage. I toss a rag over it and the chisel tip. Wear eye protection and ear plugs. Once the head is off... a punch will easily punch out the remainder. As to installing the rivets... I clamp the rivet tool in my vise and set it up with a clip and the rivet... then set the rim down over it... balancing the rim on the rivet in the tool and holding the rim level with my left hand I then then just use a medium size ball peen hammer with my right to slowly peen the rivet down. I’ve done dozens of wheels like this.