Incredibly hard cold start (50F), barely idles, then once warm it idles usually at 2,000, but sometimes drops to 1,400

356 Porsche-related discussions and questions.
Geoff Fleming
356 Fan

Re: Incredibly hard cold start (50F), barely idles, then once warm it idles usually at 2,000, but sometimes drops to 1,4

#31 Post by Geoff Fleming »

Greg,
Sounds like you are on the right track, however, do not expect the engine to idle perfectly after a start in cold conditions. It takes some warming up before a good idle will start. No chokes used on the 356 carbs. Even in warmer weather, the engine probably needs a minute or two of throttle before it' finds itself'. Simply the nature of an engine designed basically in the nineteen thirties.

Thomas Sottile
356 Fan

Re: Incredibly hard cold start (50F), barely idles, then once warm it idles usually at 2,000, but sometimes drops to 1,4

#32 Post by Thomas Sottile »

You can never assume you must check

Ron LaDow
356 Fan

#33 Post by Ron LaDow »

Greg Long wrote: Wed Feb 12, 2020 12:39 am >>>>Cheap priming pump bulb: https://porsche356registry.org/article/77
I love this idea... anyone have a downside to this option?
Tim Berardelli, who runs a shop and posts here, did some research; those are not designed for use in a hot environment. I'll contact him to give us the info.
Ron LaDow
www.precisionmatters.biz

Tim Berardelli
356 Fan

#34 Post by Tim Berardelli »

According to Attwood Marine, the folks who make an EPA approved marine primer bulb the operating temperature range for their product is 18-122 degrees F. How hot does your engine compartment get? Like the guy says on the radio-"just a thought, not a sermon"

Greg Long
356 Fan

#35 Post by Greg Long »

I've installed the gas bulb and it is miraculous.... pump it 3-4 times and the literally just turn the key a touch and it starts immediately and goes to a nice idle at about 800. I've never seen a fix that this easy, and completely makes the owning the car a pleasure as previous starting attempts were futile... thanks all!> And yes, I will keep an eye out on it and change it up every few years.

Jurgen Amtmann
356 Fan

#36 Post by Jurgen Amtmann »

Doug McDonnell wrote: Mon Feb 10, 2020 10:12 pm You are getting excellent advice but since you are a Newbie to 356s and your car has Solex carbs being an SC I recommend an electric pump for starting. Since you are in Seattle you have excellent shops who can install one and do a complete tune up and distributor checkup. There is a steep learning curve when first owning a 356. The Porsche Gods were kind to you on your long trip home but your car is telling you it needs some updating/deferred service. 50 degree starts should be easy peasy.
A 'C' has 32 NDIX carbs. Jürgen