PARTS, WHERE DO YOU GET THEM

356 Porsche-related discussions and questions.
Martin Benade
356 Fan

Re: PARTS, WHERE DO YOU GET THEM

#16 Post by Martin Benade »

I wouldn’t need to be in much of a bind to cut one out of heavy paper. Fifteen minutes is even quicker than next-day air.
Cleveland Ohio
62 Cabriolet
56 VW
02 IS 300
04 Sienna

Dick Weiss
356 Fan

#17 Post by Dick Weiss »

Jay,

Sierra Madre Collection is another source.

Dick

Dick Weiss
356 Fan

#18 Post by Dick Weiss »

Jay,

I didn't notice your location; There's Gary Emery of Parts Obsolete in Mcminnville, Oregon.

Dick

Jay Darlington
356 Fan

#19 Post by Jay Darlington »

Dick Weiss wrote: Thu Feb 13, 2020 11:09 pm Jay,

I didn't notice your location; There's Gary Emery of Parts Obsolete in Mcminnville, Oregon.

Dick
a couple of you have mentioned Gary Emory, I forgot all about him i'm about 150 mi. south of him in Coos Bay. good call thanks.
Jay D.
jay darlington

Jay Darlington
356 Fan

#20 Post by Jay Darlington »

Wes Bender wrote: Thu Feb 13, 2020 2:44 pm Actually, it would be the rear cover gasket, or the third piece gasket.
Jay, what prompted you to suddenly need the gasket? Every time I've needed one, I pretty much anticipated the need by at least several days. I'd also suggest putting together a list and buying spares to have on hand. Either that, or move closer to a source......
NOW that's a really good idea move closer to a supplier. so as the story go's i'm installing the front or rear cover and my gasket is old. thus it is brittle and has shrunk up to where it won't fit over the studs easily and gets ruined. I think no problem i'll use the one for the A and cut the one part off, this worked ok. so I was worried about the snap ring next to the dist drive gear and had another one. when I pulled the cover off the old gasket was ruined, that's were i'm at needing another front cover gasket. sorry about the front cover thing i'm use to working on EMDs and dealing parts for them.
Jay D.
jay darlington

Jay Darlington
356 Fan

#21 Post by Jay Darlington »

Jacques Lefriant wrote: Thu Feb 13, 2020 12:59 pm Hi Jay
since the gasket sets come with extra front cover gaskets there should be plenty around. If you can't get any snd me your address and I will send you one(or2) Priority Mail for $10.

THANKS Jacques i'm going to keep you in mind. i'm getting somewhat excited as I've had this car for almost 50 years and never drove it. when my gasket get here i'll have the engine together minus the cooling fan. its then going into the car and i'm going to build a custom exhaust. then i'll pull it out and put all the cooling and stuff on and run it on a stand. if everything checks out ok i'll take it to a friend that has a dyno and computer to read the exhaust and so on for a final tune. then its back to doing the final touch up on the body for paint and fitting the top. the front wood header is solid but loose at the joints its ready to be glued back together the rear bow is going to be a challenge as its new but been in storage several years and spread open about 2-3 in. that's probably the project in the next week or so. I plan on building a steam box and bending it back to were it belongs. I don't see it happening BUT I would really like to have it drivable by June of this year its going to be our 50th and I would like to see the wife drive her car.
Jay D.
jay darlington

Martin Benade
356 Fan

#22 Post by Martin Benade »

I was happy enough to drive my B with no bumpers or top after I had it apart for 25 years. Took three more years for them but I was enjoying driving it.
Cleveland Ohio
62 Cabriolet
56 VW
02 IS 300
04 Sienna