"MATCHING NUMBERS"

356 Porsche-related discussions and questions.
Martin Benade
356 Fan

Re: "MATCHING NUMBERS"

#31 Post by Martin Benade »

I never heard it got busted. Can you lead me to the story?
Cleveland Ohio
62 Cabriolet
56 VW
02 IS 300
04 Sienna

Ron LaDow
356 Fan

#32 Post by Ron LaDow »

Martin Benade wrote:I never heard it got busted. Can you lead me to the story?
Probably the wrong term; it was 'debunked' as a factory car and it was done so in the thread on the car.
Ron LaDow
www.precisionmatters.biz

Steve Hatfield
356 Fan

#33 Post by Steve Hatfield »

And since were on the subject of matching numbers, if you are lucky enough to hold a kardex, key serial numbers are represented on the upper right section. Original keys are number stamped along with the insides of door cylinders. If you're lucky you may find yourself holding original keys to ignition and or doors and maybe even glove box in the case of coupes. Trivia, but very fun.
Steve Hatfield
Fort Walton Beach, FL
'63 S90 Sunroof Coupe
'06 997S Coupe

Adam Wright
Classifieds Monitor
Tag: KTF

#34 Post by Adam Wright »

Steve-
We had one like that last year, a black S90 B Coupe, every original key present, down to the glovebox and the shifter lock. It was a very original all #s matching car, a cool find. The new owner told me he had been searching for a car for a long time with a specific criteria
Super 90
Original Matching #'s

He was very happy to take possession of this car.
Attachments
Kartex_118095.jpg
blacks90112.jpg
blacks90111.jpg
www.unobtanium-inc.com
Check out my Barn Find column in the Registry magazine, always looking for good stories.

Brian Barbato
356 Fan

#35 Post by Brian Barbato »

I'm restoring my 61T5b it has the last three of the vin on the doors deck and hood. Where exactly would I look for the last three of the vin on the bumpers? If I can find them I'll put some extra dollars into them.. If not, I'll go with some nicer OE ones I have been saving.
Regards
Brian Barbato

Mike Wilson
Classifieds Monitor

#36 Post by Mike Wilson »

I've never seen the numbers on bumpers. Hopefully others will weigh in. I know in the video, "Made ny Hand", bumpers are painted and assembled off the car then attached. Maybe the numbers were in chalk or bumpers the same colors of the cars were just installed?

Mike
Mike Wilson
Lomita, CA
'63 B coupe

Vic Skirmants
Registry Hall of Fame

#37 Post by Vic Skirmants »

No numbers on bumpers.
Oh; and welcome aboard.

Adam Wright
Classifieds Monitor
Tag: KTF

#38 Post by Adam Wright »

I think Drauz stamped some of the bumper mounting bars, but that was the only one. A T5 Coupe would not have had this. You will save time if the bumpers are original to your car, because they were fitted to your car, but you have to weigh that against how much work they need.
www.unobtanium-inc.com
Check out my Barn Find column in the Registry magazine, always looking for good stories.

Brian Barbato
356 Fan

#39 Post by Brian Barbato »

I will stop looking for numbers then! Good thing you all replied quickly or I would have been looking half the night and laying in bed wondering!!! I have had this car for 20 years so its finally time. I Appreciate the responses. I just renewed the 356 Registry membership after a long time. Vic Thanks for the welcome aboard - I've seen you race. Adam - I follow on Instagram, thanks for the advice... bjbarbato on Instagram.

Jules Dielen
356 Fan

#40 Post by Jules Dielen »

Convertible D's had the last 3 numbers of the VIN stamped bottom center of the bumper itself. Only model that had this as far as i know.
Jules

Water pumps are for windshield washers only.

Alan Hall
356 Fan

#41 Post by Alan Hall »

Seems like convertible D's had numbers in many odd places. I am pulling out a lot of parts from a collision damaged '58 convertible D that my father parted out in the mid 60's, and noticed the upper front hood latch has the last two numbers of the VIN stamped on the latch.

Jon Schmid
356 Fan

#42 Post by Jon Schmid »

So does my 1960 Roadster.