Wind Noise

356 Porsche-related discussions and questions.
Mike Wilson
Classifieds Monitor

Re: Wind Noise

#31 Post by Mike Wilson »

You're on the right track with the latch. How tight is the frame against the rubber?

Mike
Mike Wilson
Lomita, CA
'63 B coupe

Peter M. Zimmermann
356 Fan

#32 Post by Peter M. Zimmermann »

Mike Wilson wrote: Fri Jan 31, 2020 1:31 pm You're on the right track with the latch. How tight is the frame against the rubber?

Mike
The frame gets fairly tight against the rubber, but after tightening the knob the window moves a tiny amount away from the rubber. The latch feels normal during closing, but still has a small amount of play in it. I'm going to remove the latch again and see if I can see something, but it's supposed to be in the low 30s tonight so I'm not sure if my garage will be warm enough to go out there.

Mike Wilson
Classifieds Monitor

#33 Post by Mike Wilson »

There is also a hinge pin that looks like a long rivet. Is that loose? If I can navigate to my garage (on crutches due to a ruptured Achilles tendon) I'll check my quarter windows and latches tomorrowvto see what would not allow the window to be snug against the body.

Cold here is So-Cal tonight as well be definitely warmer than your area!

All the best!

Mike
Mike Wilson
Lomita, CA
'63 B coupe

Peter M. Zimmermann
356 Fan

#34 Post by Peter M. Zimmermann »

Mike Wilson wrote: Tue Feb 04, 2020 2:08 am There is also a hinge pin that looks like a long rivet. Is that loose? If I can navigate to my garage (on crutches due to a ruptured Achilles tendon) I'll check my quarter windows and latches tomorrowvto see what would not allow the window to be snug against the body.

Cold here is So-Cal tonight as well be definitely warmer than your area!

All the best!

Mike
OUCH! Be careful on those crutches! Yep, it's 31 degrees in my garage right now (8:00 am), and 32 degrees on the covered back patio! I don't have clothes appropriate for those temps!

You know, now that you mention it, my latch has a tiny bit of play where a pin holds two parts/arms together. I didn't pay much attention to that, but it might be enough to allow the small amount of window movement that I'm still getting. I'll check it later, after the coffee is gone and it gets a little warmer.

Pete

Mike Wilson
Classifieds Monitor

#35 Post by Mike Wilson »

I had a sloppy latch due to that pin. I think sometimes it gets worn out over time and other times, the latch needs to be cleaned up after chroming.

Keep me posted and stay warm!

Mike
Mike Wilson
Lomita, CA
'63 B coupe

Mike Wilson
Classifieds Monitor

#36 Post by Mike Wilson »

Hi, Peter:

I braved the So-Cal elements (must be in the high 50's in my unheated garage!) and checked the quarter window and latch on my '63 coupe. When closed, the window is tight as well as the latch. In the open position and latched "locked", everything is tight; no looseness.

Mike
Mike Wilson
Lomita, CA
'63 B coupe

Peter M. Zimmermann
356 Fan

#37 Post by Peter M. Zimmermann »

Well, Mike, it's 38 degrees in my garage, so I took a few minutes to remove the latch. There is about 1mm of play between the long arm that fastens to the body/headliner, and the short arm it attaches to. Unfortunately, when the latch was made (or re-chromed) the assembly pin, or screw, was set so it was hidden under a layer of chrome and it's end is barely visible and only in certain light. I'm afraid that removing the pin might ruin the latch, or I might not find something suitable to use as a replacement pin. I guess this is a high-mileage situation where it's a "live with it," or replace the latch assembly.
Pete

Jim Hohensee
356 Fan

#38 Post by Jim Hohensee »

Peter, You could make a one or two millimeter shim out of nylon or other plastic and install it between the hinge and car body that would pull the 1/4 window in tighter.
Good luck,
Jim

Mike Wilson
Classifieds Monitor

#39 Post by Mike Wilson »

Good idea, Jim. I thought about that as well but wasn't sure if it would tighten or loosen the fit.

Mike
Mike Wilson
Lomita, CA
'63 B coupe

Peter M. Zimmermann
356 Fan

#40 Post by Peter M. Zimmermann »

So my homemade plastic "shim" would fit under the triangle-shaped end of the long arm? Hmmmmm, that might work! I know the two screws that hold the latch to the window frame must be short, but how about the three screws that secure the body end? Never mind, I'll just slide a pin punch into the holes and measure available depth. Thanks for the hint, I'll try it and see what happens!
Pete

Mike Wilson
Classifieds Monitor

#41 Post by Mike Wilson »

The screws should be fine with 1-2mm's shim.

Mike
Mike Wilson
Lomita, CA
'63 B coupe

Peter M. Zimmermann
356 Fan

#42 Post by Peter M. Zimmermann »

Perfect fix to tighten the window! I found a large metal washer, that is 1.8 mm thick, and made a relatively crude shim, using my bench grinder, to fit under the latch arm. The window now fits tight against its seal, but I haven't driven the car yet to listen for wind noise. Thanks, Jim; thanks, Mike!!!

Mike Wilson
Classifieds Monitor

#43 Post by Mike Wilson »

Congrats, Peter! Let us know after the test drive.

Mike
Mike Wilson
Lomita, CA
'63 B coupe

Peter M. Zimmermann
356 Fan

#44 Post by Peter M. Zimmermann »

I want to put a shout out to those in need of glass work in the Los Angeles area. I just had Koby's Auto Glass (Edgar @ 323-707-7375) replace the windshield and back window seals, which I had purchased from International Mercantile a few weeks ago. The job went smoothly, the guys from Koby's were careful with the little car, but I still haven't driven it.

It was so cold in the garage yesterday morning (low 30s) that before the engine caught the battery went dead, so it's been on a slow charger for 24 hours.
IMG_1547.JPG
IMG_1547.JPG (4.33 MiB) Viewed 1146 times
IMG_1551.JPG
IMG_1551.JPG (4.46 MiB) Viewed 1146 times
IMG_1552.JPG
IMG_1552.JPG (2.95 MiB) Viewed 1146 times

Mike Wilson
Classifieds Monitor

#45 Post by Mike Wilson »

There are a few glass people that do excellent work for very reasonable prices. Looks like you're covering all the bases to eliminate the wind noise.

Mike
Mike Wilson
Lomita, CA
'63 B coupe