Porsche Book to Recommend

356 Porsche-related discussions and questions.
Ronald Sieber
356 Fan

Porsche Book to Recommend

#1 Post by Ronald Sieber »

I have a VW friend who asked for a Porsche book recommendation, an overview that would introduce him to the history of the marque. I don't think that he wants to drill down too far, but rather, get a sweeping view of the company's history without having to read 1000 pages of minutiae.I have a whole shelf of books, but each one pretty much delves into one aspect at a time, like racing, or four-cams. So I was stuck.

Anyone with suggestions?

Mike Wilson
Classifieds Monitor

Re: Porsche Book to Recommend

#2 Post by Mike Wilson »

Although I have not read it, perhaps "Genesis of Genius"? Others may have a bettervsuggestion.

Mike
Mike Wilson
Lomita, CA
'63 B coupe

Doug McDonnell
356 Fan

#3 Post by Doug McDonnell »

Maybe Porsche 60 Years?
1965 356C 2000 BMW 740i Sport 1967 Honda CL77 There is never enough time to do it right, but always enough time to do it over.

John Hearn
356 Fan
Tag: Porsche is a two sylable word!

#4 Post by John Hearn »

Three books to get an insight into the history of the company and it's cars from the beginning.

https://www.amazon.com/We-Porsche-autob ... 016&sr=8-1
Ferry's autobiography.

https://www.amazon.com/s?k=porsche+356+ ... nb_sb_noss
The journalist Dennis Jenkinson story of his ownership of a 356 and some company background.

https://www.amazon.com/Porsche-Man-Cars ... 186&sr=8-1
The first published autobiogaphy of the company written buy it's press officer and race driver/director.

All three are good reads without the shear size and detail of other Porsche history books.
Keeping the faith.
John

Tom Coughlin
356 Fan
Tag: Go Gators

#5 Post by Tom Coughlin »

Go for the book written by "Jenks".

Jenkinson was a automotive writer, noted racer (won Mille Miglia navigating for S. Moss), and owned a 1955 "Continental" 356.
 KTF, member #15

William Block
356 Fan
Tag: blocklab

#6 Post by William Block »

Or take a look at GENERAL or 356 tab at the Blocks-Books.com.
Bill Block
BLOCKS-BOOKS.COM
248/672-2637 blocklab@gmail.com
1500N coupe #11994
S tractor #133/7622
1600N S/R #106072
356C cab #161564
911 #303269
914/6 2.8 #9140432388 (for sale)
Freda’s Boxster WPOCA2983WS621230

Jules Dielen
356 Fan

#7 Post by Jules Dielen »

Frank Jung's Porsche 356 made by Reutter is impressive to say the least. And Jung is an 'insider'.
Jules

Water pumps are for windshield washers only.

Ronald Sieber
356 Fan

#8 Post by Ronald Sieber »

He just wants one broad-brush book that covers the waterfront. Although many of these books are great in one area or another, some, like "Origin of the Species" or "Genesis of Genius," drill down too much on one topic and are way too academic.

The Jenks book is a nice choice but only covers 356s. I think he wants to go up into modern Porsches as well. I will check with him on that.

Bill: even your 356 tab has a gazillion 356 books listed. Would you be able to narrow it down for one intro to the subject of all cars Porsche? "Excellence" Vol 1 might do...

Thanks for the recommendations, guys. If any more come to mind per my clarification, I'd appreciate your input.

Sebastian Gaeta
356 Fan

#9 Post by Sebastian Gaeta »

Ron,

Your mention of Excellence Was Expected is the one he wants. By far the most comprehensive book on any make, Porsche or other. Expensive but worth every penny. Karl had full and complete access to all Porsche archives along with sources and proofreaders such as Chuck Stoddard.
Sebastian Gaeta
www.arbormotion.com

Registry #8339

'65 C coupe
'64 C cab

-------
2014 Boxster 981
2005 997 C2 Cab
1967 Karmann Ghia Convertible
1966 VW Single Cab
1966 Ducati Cafe Racer
1964 Karmann Ghia Coupe
1963 Beetle

Vincent Gillespie
356 Fan

#10 Post by Vincent Gillespie »

An interesting conundrum which got me thinking.... what did we start with? The caveat with our list is this is how our Porsche reading evolved, dictated by the some what random availability here in the UK at the time, but we found them all useful in one way or another.

Firstly there were various press articles but I have no idea what they were BUT I'm pretty sure the first book was The Porsche Book by Lothar Boschen & Jurgen Barth, at the time I found it an incredibly useful start. Then I read all sorts of stuff, all mentioned here, plus conglomerations of contemporary press articles, Auto Archives, Brooklands Books, etc, all of which were very interesting and useful.

My most interesting discovery early on, in an amazing eclectic book shop in Sth. Kensington, (long since gone & now some fancy eating house where smoke in a thimble constitutes a starter & costs £25.00) was The Secrets of the inner Circle by some bloke called H. Pellow (great loss) I found it fascinating, useful, funny, brilliant, and, to this day, still a go to source of info.

I still am informed of new books by Registry members, in the last year, thanks to Bill Block and others, I have added to our library the Reutter book and the Compendium of Sales brochures which are both simply fascinating.

V&S
V. Gillespie

Walt Nolte
356 Fan

#11 Post by Walt Nolte »

How about this one? Brief descriptions of all the models. $13.00 at Barnes and Noble

Walt Nolte
1959 356A Coupe
Momtana
Attachments
How to Buy Porsche.jpg
How to Buy Porsche.jpg (1.39 MiB) Viewed 1301 times
walt nolte

Al Zim
356 Fan

#12 Post by Al Zim »

Ask your friend if he wants a book on air cooled car or water cooled cars. In my opinion Excellence was expected (the original) has been the best Porsche book I have read except for the shop manual. I should probably read that again before my eyes give out! Really after 1989/and the advent of the water cooled cars Porsche as it should exist quickly vanished. al zim
www.allzim.com 
356 Parts and Services
www.facebook.com/ZimsAuto/
www.instagram.com/zims_autotechnik/

Jim Clement
356 Fan
Tag: 1957 356 A Coupe

#13 Post by Jim Clement »

another one I like is:
The Porsche Book
by Lothar Boschen and Jurgen Barth

it is a good book, lots of information on Porsche's from the beginning to early 80ies

Randy Mittelstet
356 Fan

#14 Post by Randy Mittelstet »

You might want to look at: "Porsche - 70 Years" by Randy Leffingwell

There are many behind the scenes stories, information and photos from Porsche people including Yvonne Knotek & Tobias Mauler of the Porsche Archiv. Many of the beautiful photos come from Michael Furman and his team.

The book measures 10" x 12" wide. This book was a Christmas present from my son.... so no affiliation.
Randy Mittelstet
Denver
1960 early Roadster

Frank Barrett
356 Fan

#15 Post by Frank Barrett »

Toad Hall Motorbooks has a good variety of Porsche history books at www.toadhallmotorbooks.com.