Wind Noise

356 Porsche-related discussions and questions.
Rudy Bernhard
356 Fan

Re: Wind Noise

#16 Post by Rudy Bernhard »

all cell phones are sound meters, with the proper app installed. have a passenger do the work, though.
1960 Super Cabriolet, 1963 S90 Coupe
Registry #311
Owned Porsche 356s continuously since 1978
(wow, made 45 years of ownership on the 60 Cab!)

Peter M. Zimmermann
356 Fan

#17 Post by Peter M. Zimmermann »

It has been suggested to me to apply Gaffers Tape to the outside of the windshield seal/car body and then drive the car to check for a noise reduction. I have placed an order with Amazon for a roll of 2" Gaffers Tape and it will be at my place tomorrow.

BTW; thanks for the laughs for some of the above comments!

Peter M. Zimmermann
356 Fan

#18 Post by Peter M. Zimmermann »

OK, possible problem located. The left rear quarter hinge won't pull that window completely shut. There is "play" between the arm with the knob, and the short piece that attaches to it. The "play" allows the window to open about 4-5mm at the rear corner, even with the hinge locked in place.

Before I disassemble this thing do any of you know if the hinge is "fixable," or if I have to find a replacement...

Mike Wilson
Classifieds Monitor

#19 Post by Mike Wilson »

Are there serrated washers between the pieces? A cars have them; B's and C's don't.

Mike
Mike Wilson
Lomita, CA
'63 B coupe

Peter M. Zimmermann
356 Fan

#20 Post by Peter M. Zimmermann »

Mike, thanks for your reply! I don't know the answer but will check the hinge as soon as my garage temp goes from the high 40s to the mid 50s! It does not look like the hinge has been apart for re-chroming because it matches the other side, and that one tightens its window correctly.

Peter M. Zimmermann
356 Fan

#21 Post by Peter M. Zimmermann »

OK. I braved the garage (41 degrees F) for long enough to remove the window hinge. It's curious that the knob has a tiny threaded hole in it that looks like it used to hold an internal locking screw. Does that screw need to be there, it appears that all it does is prevent the knob from backing out and falling off?

That said, the hinge does have a pair of knurled/serrated washers held in place by the knob's shaft. They look worn. The hinge does tighten up (by turning the knob) when I hold it in my hand, but not when it's mounted on the window. Do I need two new washers?

Mike Wilson
Classifieds Monitor

#22 Post by Mike Wilson »

The set screw does prevents the knob from being completely unscrewed when you loosen it to flip the latch. I have also found on my hinges that a loose fitting hinge pin can make the latch sloppy. It is possible the washers are worn. As far as I know, there are no reproductions available.

Does the latch feel like it closes the window securely? What condition is the rubber? Perhaps there isn't a good seal due to shrinkage. If, however, the latch feels sloppy, check the moving parts and the securing screws on the body and quarter window frame.

I'm sorry I don't have an A latch for you to try.

Please keep us posted.

Mike
Mike Wilson
Lomita, CA
'63 B coupe

Peter M. Zimmermann
356 Fan

#23 Post by Peter M. Zimmermann »

Mike: All fastening screws were tight and correct. Yes, the latch feels like it closes the window securely, after which I turn the knob clockwise to secure it. But then, I can gently push against the inside of the glass, in the rear corner, and the window simply moves a few millimeters.

Paul at Stoddard is involved with this, I have measured the two serrated/Schnor washers and sent that info to Paul, who will then do a search at his place. Yes, the teeth on the two washers look well worn to almost being smooth - so I don't have a reference for how they looked when new.
IMG_1539.JPG
IMG_1539.JPG (4.27 MiB) Viewed 1099 times
IMG_1542.JPG
IMG_1542.JPG (4.1 MiB) Viewed 1099 times
IMG_1541.JPG
IMG_1541.JPG (3.55 MiB) Viewed 1099 times

Peter M. Zimmermann
356 Fan

#24 Post by Peter M. Zimmermann »

Experiment #1. After talking with Paul at Stoddard I dug through my hardware cabinets and found a few 8mm Schnorr washers. They are thinner than the factory washers used in the hinge, and I ended up stacking two of them on one side of the arm, and one washer on the other side.
IMG_1545.JPG
IMG_1545.JPG (2.98 MiB) Viewed 1075 times

This gave me a very snug fit, even with the locking knob loose. I then tightened the knob, and voila! I cannot physically move the hinge and the "play" in the joining point of the arms is gone.

I will install the hinge later, when the temp in my garage comes up from 40F and my arthritic wrists work well enough to put the little screws in!

Mike Wilson
Classifieds Monitor

#25 Post by Mike Wilson »

Nice fix, Peter! Road test next! Keep us posted.

Mike
Mike Wilson
Lomita, CA
'63 B coupe

WilliamVaughan
356 Fan

#26 Post by WilliamVaughan »

Don't pull the paint off the car with overly strong tape.

Peter M. Zimmermann
356 Fan

#27 Post by Peter M. Zimmermann »

Mike Wilson wrote: Thu Jan 30, 2020 2:14 pm Nice fix, Peter! Road test next! Keep us posted.

Mike
Well, heck! In a way I'm happy, but the window still moves. Not nearly as much, but there is a tiny amount of play in a fastener pin that rests under the latch assembly. That play still allows the window to move about 0.5mm. I'll have to test drive the car later today and see if the wind noise is less, or if I need to remove the latch/hinge again and see if I can tighten up the arm pin.

There is no play in the R.R. hinge, so I might be chasing something un-fixable here.

Peter M. Zimmermann
356 Fan

#28 Post by Peter M. Zimmermann »

Robert Vaughan wrote: Thu Jan 30, 2020 2:53 pm Don't pull the paint off the car with overly strong tape.
Thanks, Robert! I came to the same conclusion and have decided to not do the tape test. I just bought a new windshield seal, and a back window seal, from International Mercantile, and scheduled replacement with a mobile glass guy out of the San Fernando Valley. He comes highly recommended, and will come to my place in Bakersfield on 2/9/2020.

Mike Wilson
Classifieds Monitor

#29 Post by Mike Wilson »

Peter: did you also check the two hinges on the leading edge of the quarter window frame? Screws are accessible behind the door seal.

Mike
Mike Wilson
Lomita, CA
'63 B coupe

Peter M. Zimmermann
356 Fan

#30 Post by Peter M. Zimmermann »

Mike Wilson wrote: Thu Jan 30, 2020 5:32 pm Peter: did you also check the two hinges on the leading edge of the quarter window frame? Screws are accessible behind the door seal.

Mike
Sure did!