6v to 12v power inverter

356 Porsche-related discussions and questions.
Nate Greene
356 Fan
Tag: Tennessee Tubs

6v to 12v power inverter

#1 Post by Nate Greene »

My cars are both 6 volt. Does anyone have a power inverter brand and model number they really like and would recommend?
Nate J. Greene
nategreene356@gmail.com
nategreene.com

1963 356B Super 90
1965 356C Cabriolet
2020 Macan
2017 Panamera

John Brooks
356 Fan

Re: 6v to 12v power inverter

#2 Post by John Brooks »

Nate

Mine are all 40 years old, but when selecting one be sure it does not run all the time. Put a switch on the + side to turn it on and off. There are allot of them out there now, and they are pretty cheap and reliable.

https://www.ebay.com/sch/i.html?_nkw=6v ... er&_sop=12
John Brooks

62 Roadster
66 912
84 Cab
getting pushed around in porsches since 1965

Glen Getchell
356 Fan

#3 Post by Glen Getchell »

Nate,
I run a modern 6 volt inverter from Antique Automobile Radio Inc in Palm Harbor Fl. that replaced the old 70's style that was in the car. It works much better and is much smaller (1.5" MOL cube) than the 1970's Radio Shack or JC Whitney ones. I run both my Valentine One and my GPS off of it at the same time. Even at idle there is no hicups.

Now with that said. I will say that the first one I purchased was putting out significantly more than 12 volts. I called them and it they tested some and found that an entire bath was bad (they build them on site). Now Antique is local to me so I actually went to their shop to buy mine. I think I paid $80 which in retrospect seems high as I see some on line that look identical for the $50 range. Add that to the fact that I drove to their shop, bought it drove home, mounted it, discovered it was bad, took it it out, waited a week or two for them to make new ones, drove to their shop, and got the replacement, I feel that the price was very high. However, putting all the B.S. aside I'm back to paragraph one. I would go on line and see what you can find. They are basically a silver cube. Antique's symbol is a bulbos musical note with AAR in it.

As to John's comment about hooking it to a switch. I will not disagree with him because I don't know enough about these things. But I have never put a switch on an inverter and there has never been an issue. So personally I don't see the need, but that's just me.

Glen
64Cx2

John Brooks
356 Fan

#4 Post by John Brooks »

Glen

The reason for a switch, is some of the power converters will draw current all the time. Usually the keep alive is not much only 100-500 milliamps but they can draw down the battery even when not being used. Like a USB adapter that goes into a lighter socket. They only put out 2 amps max to charge a phone, but draw 500 ma all the time. I get power from the gas heater fuse, to keep the current from going through the ignition switch. This reduces arcing the contacts that making the switch fail earlier from heat.
Last edited by John Brooks on Wed Jan 22, 2020 3:07 pm, edited 1 time in total.
John Brooks

62 Roadster
66 912
84 Cab
getting pushed around in porsches since 1965

Glen Getchell
356 Fan

#5 Post by Glen Getchell »

John,
Oh.

I don't hook to hot wires. I have mine so it turns on with the ignition (or accessory). So I guess I do have it switched kind of. Having it hooked to a hot wire is probably not a great idea even if the inverter does not draw any power. If you leave your radar detector, or GPS etc... on, it will have the same affect. A dead battery! And switches are easy to forget about.

I do recommend getting a new one even if you have a vintage one in your attic. I drove for years with one of the older Radio Shack models, but when you would sit at a light at idle long enough, all the electronics would go bat crap crazy or shut off. That does not happen with the modern one.

I think our previous Pres. George Dunn has a whole bank of AAR units under the dash on his Cab. I just assumed he uses them to power his house.

Glen
64Cx2

Richard Holler
356 Fan
Tag: 1963 356 S T6 coupe

#6 Post by Richard Holler »

planning to wire a 12v radio (from woody) to these, does anyone have a basic diagram or picture on how these silver cubes are wired (and mounted)?
1963 356 S T6 Karmann Coupe (stock engine)
Front disc brake conversion
GDP Dual Exhaust
Momo Classic steering wheel
SMD headlights
CUlayer LED rear tails
Superleicht spec (aka missing V brace and copious amounts of Bondo)

Glen Getchell
356 Fan

#7 Post by Glen Getchell »

Richard,
A basic diagram would be a straight line. Simple is an understatement on wiring. 6 volt power wire in, 12 volt power coming out. Two wires that's it. As far as mounting, I got my tucked up under the dash. I will be honest, I don't remember if they have to screwed into metal as a ground or not. But that is really all there is to it. I would find a line that is hot when the ignition key is on like the cigar light. Run the wire to the in wire, then run the out wire back to the cigar lighter. Bingo 12 volt outlet.

Glen
64Cx2

Wes Bender
356 Fan

#8 Post by Wes Bender »

Cigar and clock circuit are hot all the time. Wire it to the accessory connection of the ignition switch. The converter body needs to be grounded.
Some days it's just not worth chewing through the restraints.....

Richard Holler
356 Fan
Tag: 1963 356 S T6 coupe

#9 Post by Richard Holler »

Thanks for the tips!!
1963 356 S T6 Karmann Coupe (stock engine)
Front disc brake conversion
GDP Dual Exhaust
Momo Classic steering wheel
SMD headlights
CUlayer LED rear tails
Superleicht spec (aka missing V brace and copious amounts of Bondo)