COA versus Reutter Certificate of Production

For those who obsess about exactly how their 356 left the factory!
Jerry Garwick
356 Fan

Re: COA versus Reutter Certificate of Production

#16 Post by Jerry Garwick »

This will help. From a Reutter historical page.

Cigar lighters and key pouches: At Reutter, the order for the Porsche 356 involved not only the delivery of car bodies and frames, but also the manufacture of seats and the entire interior trim, along with the installation of electrical and heating systems. Porsche also entrusted Reutter with the final inspection of the finished vehicles. Diverse options were included from the very start, so that even in 1950, every buyer had a choice of eight colors for the paintwork and seven fabrics for the seat covers, as well as four different leatherette covers. Even before the first production vehicles were delivered (each with two door keys and two ignition keys in individual pouches), there was already talk of optional extras, such a secondary car horn, a cigar lighter and a radio, as well as genuine leather seats and side panels.
Jerry G

Jerry Garwick
356 Fan

#17 Post by Jerry Garwick »

Some more information from a Reutter historical site,

At Reutter, the order for the Porsche 356 involved not only the delivery of car bodies and frames, but also the manufacture of seats and the entire interior trim, along with the installation of electrical and heating systems. Porsche also entrusted Reutter with the final inspection of the finished vehicles. Diverse options were included from the very start, so that even in 1950, every buyer had a choice of eight colors for the paintwork and seven fabrics for the seat covers, as well as four different leatherette covers. Even before the first production vehicles were delivered (each with two door keys and two ignition keys in individual pouches), there was already talk of optional extras, such a secondary car horn, a cigar lighter and a radio, as well as genuine leather seats and side panels.
Jerry G

Jerry Garwick
356 Fan

#18 Post by Jerry Garwick »

For interesting REUTTER history, which thoroughly describes the factories details, I encourage all to look at this site.

https://www.club.recaro-automotive.com/ ... y/general/
Jerry G

Donald Zingg
356 Fan

#19 Post by Donald Zingg »

Jerry

Your car is one of a few pre-A Speedsters that was not exported directly to Hoffman in New York during 1955.
It originally was delivered to dealer in Germany. The car with its special paint and interior colors was received at Porsche for final assembly along with several Blue Speedsters, which may have had something to do with the subsequent data entry mix up when the intern was filling out those kardex records.

James Davies
356Talk Moderator

#20 Post by James Davies »

Jerry, if you get Frank Jung's "Porsche 356 Made by Reutter" book, it shows very clearly everything that was done at Reutter. There's a new English edition out now.

Basically all the mechanicals were installed at Porsche Werk II. This includes engine, transmission, complete brake system, complete steering system, all suspension, gauges, heating system, etc.

Things installed at Reutter: wiring harness, wipers, headlights, signal/tail lights, interior lighting, glass, etc.

I suspect that wheels were painted at Reutter and then came with the body delivered to Porsche. The vast majority of pre-A cars, the wheels matched the exterior paint. Of course by 1953, Reutter Werk II and Porsche Werk II were right next to each other, so it's possible that wheels could painted to order as needed on the assembly line. Anyone else know?

After assembly at Porsche Werk II and a test drive, the completed car went back to Reutter for final polish pre-delivery.

Jerry Garwick
356 Fan

#21 Post by Jerry Garwick »

Hi James
Thanks for the heads up on the Jung book I'll be at the Lit Meet at the end of the month and maybe a copy will be there. Interesting question on why Reutter stated the color of the wheels. I have seen photos of the Reutter Speedsters being transferred to the Porsche factory and they are without wheels and rolling on dollies . I have not found my copy of the video Made By Hand to see if that issue is covered.
Jerry G

James Davies
356Talk Moderator

#22 Post by James Davies »

Reutter likely stated the color of the wheels because they painted them in their paint shop. The color combos were standard (except when they were not). I just don't know how they were integrated with the car. One can see stacks of wheels in photos of Porsche Werk II, but it is not clear how they were kept with the car(s). They do not have chassis number stamps on them, though it possible the tires were marked with grease pen or chalk, just like the mufflers of the motors. But the tires were mounted at Porsche Werk II as well, not at Reutter. Anyone else know?

Made By Hand, would not help much I suspect, because at that point, all wheels were silver or chrome. Body color wheels were only standard during 356 and 356A T1 production, right?

Cole Scrogham
356 Fan

#23 Post by Cole Scrogham »

Another thread that could be readily answered with a viewing of the first 15 mins of Made By Hand, pretty much a completed chassis less suspension/engine/transmission was side loaded on a lorry and taken to the Porsche Works for mechanical finishing and delivery.

Richard Emerson
356 Fan

#24 Post by Richard Emerson »

Jerry Garwick wrote: Sat Jan 18, 2020 2:56 pm Hi James
Thanks for the heads up on the Jung book I'll be at the Lit Meet at the end of the month and maybe a copy will be there. Interesting question on why Reutter stated the color of the wheels. I have seen photos of the Reutter Speedsters being transferred to the Porsche factory and they are without wheels and rolling on dollies . I have not found my copy of the video Made By Hand to see if that issue is covered.
Made by Hand is on YouTube. I watched it again yesterday.