Kardex

For those who obsess about exactly how their 356 left the factory!
Dario Meyer
356 Fan

Kardex

#1 Post by Dario Meyer »

Can anyone tell me where I can get a copy of the original Kardex for my car?
Thanks
Darío

Mark Sabbann
356 Fan

Re: Kardex

#2 Post by Mark Sabbann »

Dario, see this thread: viewtopic.php?f=1&t=49104
I contacted David Pateman as have several other Registry members.
Mark Sabbann
1964 SC Coupe 'Essy'
1965 C Coupe 'The Yellow Delicious'

bob rodamer
356 Fan

#3 Post by bob rodamer »

Bil .Tom Tate getting my kardex .will compare . need your e mail bob rodamer

Dick Roth
356 Fan

#4 Post by Dick Roth »

Given the tremendous support for owners of early cars with parts availability, and catalogs, etc. by the factory I think it's a shame that they don't make the Kardex files generally available. I can certainly understand concerns about accuracy, and possible legal liability pertaining to that, but it's hard to believe that some smart people couldn't find a way to protect against those kinds of situations. I know from personal experience that the Kardex provides useful insights into details of the car's original manufacture. It also should be noted that anyone who wants to get a copy of their car's information can actually do so (read above), using the Porsche underground network of communication.
The Certificates that they currently make available are nowhere near as worthwhile.

David Jones
Classifieds Moderator
Tag: I wish I knew as much as I think I know.

#5 Post by David Jones »

Sometimes the Kardex is not exactly a goldmine of information. Here is mine and the date of manufacture, color, US bumpers and had a hardtop originally does not seem like it is something the factory should need to hide. Who's privacy would this compromise?
Attachments
KARDEX150950.jpeg
KARDEX150950.jpeg (87.33 KiB) Viewed 1217 times
If I had known I would live this long I would have pushed the envelope a little harder.
Cymru am byth
David Jones #9715

Mike Wilson
Classifieds Monitor

#6 Post by Mike Wilson »

David is right. Sometimes the Kardex has a wealth of information and others are very scant. A friend's '59 Kardex was like the one he posted but the one for my '63 has a lot of info. Maybe just an anomaly with the early ones, lack of accessories, who knows?

Mike
Mike Wilson
Lomita, CA
'63 B coupe

Dick Roth
356 Fan

#7 Post by Dick Roth »

David's Kardex is very typical of those for cars is that were serially produced for importation into America by Hoffman. Unlike today's dealers who will load a vehicle with accessories, for the most part the standard 356 vehicle had little or no accessories. Only special order vehicles where the buyer specified equipment to his specifications will typically show significant information. The other thing that will appear very often are details pertaining to European delivery and/or servicing. That would very often show that a vehicle was delivered to a US serviceman and ultimately into the United States, for example.
356 models ordered for competition use often had Kardex information that was a trove of useful and fascinating details of its original equipment.

mario musto
356 Fan

#8 Post by mario musto »

+1 for David Pateman who secured the Kardex for my 356 and 912 within 2 days.