LED bulb conversion options

356 Porsche-related discussions and questions.
Harold Singh
356 Fan
Tag: Cooling with air

LED bulb conversion options

#1 Post by Harold Singh »

Hey 356 Folks,

Some time ago I installed the LED headlamps and brake lamps. I maybe missing it but, is there a license lamp conversion? I recently had one bulb go out on my C and thought it might be best to swap those to LED also. I did a quick google to look for it and I’m still set up as a 6 volts in this car.

Thanks,
Harold
Harold
In the garage:
1964 356C Irish Green
1995 993 GP White

David Jones
Classifieds Moderator
Tag: I wish I knew as much as I think I know.

Re: LED bulb conversion options

#2 Post by David Jones »

Why bother? Unless you do a lot of night driving the license plate lamps will probably last 10 years. I can understand the headlights simply from the safety aspect but license plate LED's seem to be overkill.
If I had known I would live this long I would have pushed the envelope a little harder.
Cymru am byth
David Jones #9715

Thomas Sottile
356 Fan

#3 Post by Thomas Sottile »

I have changed every bulb to LED but the plate bulbs why bother is right. It does not improve your driving enjoyment or safetly

Jim Clement
356 Fan
Tag: 1957 356 A Coupe

#4 Post by Jim Clement »

what LED lights did you find for the small lights in the headlight assembly.. like the small parking lights ?
I have the CU Layer lights for brake and turn, they are great , but expensive..

Harold Singh
356 Fan

#5 Post by Harold Singh »

Thomas Sottile wrote: Fri Nov 29, 2019 3:55 pm I have changed every bulb to LED but the plate bulbs why bother is right. It does not improve your driving enjoyment or safetly
Since it gets so dark early now, I prefer to have all the light I can get to light up the rear of the car when I drive to add visibility for other cars to see me. I will be trying to drive it more even at night.
Jim Clement wrote: Fri Nov 29, 2019 5:17 pm what LED lights did you find for the small lights in the headlight assembly.. like the small parking lights ?
I have the CU Layer lights for brake and turn, they are great , but expensive..
I believe I ordered the 6v signal and brake bulbs from Fellman when I bought the headlamps. I don’t see the other bulbs on his website now. Maybe Jefferey can chime in on whether he supplies them still. I don’t recall whether he has LED license lamps.
Harold
In the garage:
1964 356C Irish Green
1995 993 GP White

Harold Singh
356 Fan

#6 Post by Harold Singh »

Thomas Sottile wrote: Fri Nov 29, 2019 3:55 pm I have changed every bulb to LED but the plate bulbs why bother is right. It does not improve your driving enjoyment or safetly
Tom,

What was the supplier you used? I was also looking for dash bulbs in 6v.
Harold
In the garage:
1964 356C Irish Green
1995 993 GP White

Mike Wilson
Classifieds Monitor

#7 Post by Mike Wilson »

Ed Rutherford of Klasse 356 has the dash light bulbs. I also Googled "6V LED auto bulbs" and found a bunch of various bulbs.

Mike
Mike Wilson
Lomita, CA
'63 B coupe

Jim Nelson
356 Fan

#8 Post by Jim Nelson »

Jules Dielen sells a fantastic set of LED dash lights, well worth looking into these.

Harold Singh
356 Fan

#9 Post by Harold Singh »

Mike Wilson wrote: Fri Nov 29, 2019 8:17 pm Ed Rutherford of Klasse 356 has the dash light bulbs. I also Googled "6V LED auto bulbs" and found a bunch of various bulbs.

Mike
Thanks Mike! I guess I was doing a very specific search. It seems I can use the ba9 bulb as it is compatible. It would be nice if there was a list of bulb part numbers from Porsche and the generic incandescent and led bulbs that work.
Harold
In the garage:
1964 356C Irish Green
1995 993 GP White

Mike Wilson
Classifieds Monitor

#10 Post by Mike Wilson »

You'd only get the generic numbers and/or LED's from Porsche when they decide to sell them..in Porsche bags...marked up considerably....

Mike
Last edited by Mike Wilson on Sat Nov 30, 2019 12:11 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Mike Wilson
Lomita, CA
'63 B coupe

Mark Roth
356Talk Moderator

#11 Post by Mark Roth »

I considered replacing the little parking light bulbs in the headlight assemblies with LEDs but when I got them I thought that the cylinder shape with the little dots looked out of place on a vintage car. So I kept the small incandescent bulbs. Put one white bright LED in the back up light. I have LEDs in the headlights and rear turn signal/brake lights. I thought that the other lights weren’t worth the effort. LEDs in the dash from JD are a big improvement.
Mark Roth
65 C Cab (Black/black)

Harold Singh
356 Fan

#12 Post by Harold Singh »

Mark Roth wrote: Sat Nov 30, 2019 9:47 am I considered replacing the little parking light bulbs in the headlight assemblies with LEDs but when I got them I thought that the cylinder shape with the little dots looked out of place on a vintage car. So I kept the small incandescent bulbs. Put one white bright LED in the back up light. I have LEDs in the headlights and rear turn signal/brake lights. I thought that the other lights weren’t worth the effort. LEDs in the dash from JD are a big improvement.
Thanks Mark. I’ll definitely do the dash bulbs based on all these reviews. I certainly need a brighter back up bulb also.
Harold
In the garage:
1964 356C Irish Green
1995 993 GP White

Spike Jones
356 Fan

#13 Post by Spike Jones »

+1 on the LED dash lights from Jules. I got a set and they work great! Heads-up: be sure to read the instructions.
Spike Jones
'58 Cab

Randy Mittelstet
356 Fan

#14 Post by Randy Mittelstet »

Jules" dash lights are well worth the conversion.... and his customer service is outstanding as well. You will never miss seeing that dim red generator light should it go on.
Plus that oil pressure light is such a cool looking green : )
Randy Mittelstet
Denver
1960 early Roadster