356 Trustee Election and vision for the future

356 Porsche-related discussions and questions.
Michael Branning
Registry Trustee
Instagram: @mtbranning

Re: 356 Trustee Election and vision for the future

#31 Post by Michael Branning »

Mark Sabbann wrote: Fri Oct 25, 2019 9:18 am I think access to the work of Charlie and Harry would be beneficial to the 356 community. But here's another perspective. People sometimes make a close association with, and have trouble distinguishing between a person (Charlie White and Harry Pellow) and their work (Charlie's website and Harry's books and videos). We know that both men were totally immersed in their work and built public personas because of their work. And some 356 enthusiasts were lucky to have known both Charlie and Harry as human beings. Maybe they even had conversations that were not 356-related. To give up control (copyrights etc.), imaginary or actual, of the work of a loved one can sometimes lead to the feeling of losing that loved one all over again. It may be hard for family members to see beyond their grief to the benefits of the work that those of us outside the families see and believe to be important. Those of us with all good intent, and wanting access to the 'good stuff', but separate from the human being, well some may see and fear that as predatory, another form of loss and separation and something that will never replace the human being. We are able to make the separation but families may not.
Wow Mark, that is a profound angle I never considered. The conversation has to start with what the family wants as a legacy. It has to be a team effort, where we help them achieve their goals. Only then could we achieve ours.
Michael Branning
356 Registry Vice President/Trustee
'64 SR Coupe
61 S90 Roadster

Mark Sabbann
356 Fan

#32 Post by Mark Sabbann »

Thank you, Michael for seeing my point. I imagine it might be like stumbling into a 'barn find' car, intact, untouched for years but left behind by a son or daughter or spouse that left and didn't live to return. No matter how badly you want that car, the family has to be willing to part with it, on their terms and in light of their loss. The legacy angle may be a mutually agreeable way to move ahead.
Mark Sabbann
1964 SC Coupe 'Essy'
1965 C Coupe 'The Yellow Delicious'

Martin Benade
356 Fan

#33 Post by Martin Benade »

My father was a world authority on clarinets and after he died my mother did everything she could to share his research and knowledge with the world. This included allowing a small manufacturer to use his design ( free) as long as they did it right and gave credit. In my mind these things preserved his legacy in a very nice way. Maybe these families can be gently steered in this direction.
Cleveland Ohio
62 Cabriolet
56 VW
02 IS 300
04 Sienna

Mark Roth
356Talk Moderator

#34 Post by Mark Roth »

I suggest that rather than chasing Pellow's videos, the Registry produce videos of its own to put on the Registry website. We could have professionally done videos of the various maintenance activities and maybe even some more involved procedures such as engine building or front end repair. The videos wouldn't have Harry's wit but I am sure that we could find someone who is capable of describing the procedures in an entertaining and informative manner.
OR
We could ask members to submit videos of these tasks as a contest with the idea that winning videos would be put on the Registry site.
A short list of topics would include:
Ignition timing and maintenance (gap, condenser replacement, alternative ignition systems)
Spark plug replacement
Carburetor adjustment and air filter maintenance
Throttle linkage adjustment
Oil change
Chassis lubrication
Front wheel bearing adjustment and replacement
Rear wheel bearing replacement
Shock absorber replacement
Speedometer cable replacement
Tachometer cable replacement
Headlight aiming
You name it
The Registry could also find out whether the shop manuals are still under copyright. If they are not, the Registry could put them on the website. I know that the parts catalog is on the Porsche website. A link to that catalog could be added.
Mark Roth
65 C Cab (Black/black)

Alex Mestas
356 Fan
Tag: It’s only a hobby.

#35 Post by Alex Mestas »

For basic maintenance procedures I’ve seen some professional utube videos produced by Heidi and Franny's Garage (members) that are very well produced and very instructional for 356 owners. I think it’s a great idea Mark!
1963 356 T-6 Coupe Signal Red.
1973.5 911 T Coupe Ivory.
1989 911 Carrera Targa Grd Prix White.