Retaining Spring for air deflector plate

356 Porsche-related discussions and questions.
Frank Swanson
356 Fan
Tag: 1964 356SC

Retaining Spring for air deflector plate

#1 Post by Frank Swanson »

Where does this retaining spring go?
Stoddards
506-06-108 Retaining Spring for air deflector plate, 2 required, fits 356 & 912. 50606108
Thanks for your response.
Frank
Tacoma WA

Retaining Spring for air deflector plate 506-06-108.jpg

Vic Skirmants
Registry Hall of Fame

Re: Retaining Spring for air deflector plate

#2 Post by Vic Skirmants »

There are two plates, one on each side, under the cylinders. These springs hold them in place.

David Jones
Classifieds Moderator
Tag: I wish I knew as much as I think I know.

#3 Post by David Jones »

Make sure you snap them on to the correct push rod tube the correct way around. Open side to the crankcase.
If I had known I would live this long I would have pushed the envelope a little harder.
Cymru am byth
David Jones #9715

Pascal Giai
356 Fan

#4 Post by Pascal Giai »

These pictures show the spring in place.
Attachments
IMG_1923 (Large).JPG
IMG_1921 (Large).JPG
IMG_1920 (Large).JPG

Nik Nikolic
356 Fan

#5 Post by Nik Nikolic »

Does the engine have to be out to fit in the air deflector plate and retaining spring?
Nik Nikolic
’63 T-6 Super
’72 Volvo 1800es
’74 2002tii
’04 330i ZHP
’13 Boxster S

Don Gale
356 Fan
Tag: Black A's Matter

#6 Post by Don Gale »

Well . . . ordinarily they go in while installing the heads and inserting the pushrod tubes. If you can't finesse them into position, you might get telescoping pushrod tubes and put them in without removing the heads. The heater box will be in the way. Easiest to remove the motor to take the J-tubes off. Important to have the deflector plates installed.
1958 356A 1600 Super Sunroof Coupe
former 1966 Euro 912 Sunroof
former 1978 Intermeccanica Speedster w/'68 912
Member Since 1983, #4039

"Nostalgia isn't what it used to be"

Martin Benade
356 Fan

#7 Post by Martin Benade »

I think the flapper box is what is really in the way , but best to remove the engine for that. You might get the flapper boxes off but you will never reinstall them with the engine in. I believe the j-pipes can remain.
Cleveland Ohio
62 Cabriolet
56 VW
02 IS 300
04 Sienna

Dick Weiss
356 Fan

#8 Post by Dick Weiss »

The real problem may be reshaping the "eye end" to fit the collapsable pushrod tube having
a larger diameter. Otherwise, easier to add them during head installation.

Ron LaDow
356 Fan

#9 Post by Ron LaDow »

Martin Benade wrote: Sat Nov 02, 2019 8:31 pm I think the flapper box is what is really in the way , but best to remove the engine for that. You might get the flapper boxes off but you will never reinstall them with the engine in. I believe the j-pipes can remain.
Pretty sure they'll pass through the rear flapper on a diagonal after the push rods and tubes have been removed.
Assuming they do, they and the support 'springs' can be installed along with the Pre Mat Push Rod Tubes ( https://precisionmatters.biz/push-rod-tubes.php ) with the engine installed, the heads and J-tubes in place. Quite a few folks have done so; no one has called swearing at me.
Dick, that small end goes over the Pre Mat Tubes with no problem.
Ron LaDow
www.precisionmatters.biz

Don Gale
356 Fan
Tag: Black A's Matter

#10 Post by Don Gale »

Over the last couple weeks I have been studying up on "Cool Tins" or "Super Cool Tins" on air-cooled VW engines. Originally designed for Type 3 engines but can be used in Type 1 engines if they are wired in place. They replace the former lower deflector plate and supposedly contain and better flow the cooling air over the cylinders for more uniform cooling and reduced asymmetric hot spots. They don't interfere with the VW lower tin and the stock VW lower tins stay as is. Just wondering if anyone has dabbled with them or something similar on a 356/912, given that Porsche engines derived from 25 Hp VW engines. I have read pro's & con's on Samba about them, seems the Type 1 negatives were due to improper installation. They must be wired in place.

1958 356A 1600 Super Sunroof Coupe
former 1966 Euro 912 Sunroof
former 1978 Intermeccanica Speedster w/'68 912
Member Since 1983, #4039

"Nostalgia isn't what it used to be"

Dick Weiss
356 Fan

#11 Post by Dick Weiss »

I can't imagine having the springs attached w/o the deflector plates in place or vice-versa;
I don't think the defectors can be installed first, then the springs--and the J-pipe(s) gotta be
removed before the flapper boxes.

Martin Benade
356 Fan

#12 Post by Martin Benade »

I am actually sure Ron’s method with only the tubes out will work. The plates and clips are both rather small. I almost think I once installed them after the tubes and heads were on, years ago. A couple of minutes would prove or disprove this idea.
Cleveland Ohio
62 Cabriolet
56 VW
02 IS 300
04 Sienna

Ron LaDow
356 Fan

#13 Post by Ron LaDow »

Dick Weiss wrote: Tue Nov 05, 2019 12:01 am I can't imagine having the springs attached w/o the deflector plates in place or vice-versa;
I don't think the defectors can be installed first, then the springs--and the J-pipe(s) gotta be
removed before the flapper boxes.
Dick,
Unless the diagonal of the rear flapper opening is too small to allow the deflector tins to be inserted, I can't see any reason the springs can't be fitted to the Pre Mat PR Tubes during installation.
Slide the deflector into place, fit the spring to #3 intake pushrod tube while it is being fitted and do the same on the other side with #2 intake pushrod tube. Yeah, you'll have to push upwards on the tube to guide it into the case, but that looks to be a hell of a lot easier than pulling the engine.
Here's the fitting instructions:
Instructions136.jpg
Instructions136.jpg (859.03 KiB) Viewed 1027 times
Ron LaDow
www.precisionmatters.biz

mario musto
356 Fan

#14 Post by mario musto »

I replaced the leaking OEM push rod tubes on my 912 using Ron's units. I don't run heater boxes on that engine so removing the old tubes and installing the Pre Mats(and deflector tins) was easy. Replacement completed with engine in car, no need to pull the heads and units don't leak.