Pre-A Speedster Dashboard Script?

For Pre A discussions and questions
Rj Wilmoth
356 Fan

#1 Post by Rj Wilmoth »

I have this “PORSCHE” Speedster/Roadster dash script. It is much heaver/thicker than others that I have seen. The lettering looks like it was machined from a solid piece. threaded tabs.

Can someone identify this for me?
IMG_5956.JPG
IMG_5956.JPG (3 MiB) Viewed 1675 times
Attachments
IMG_6956.jpg
IMG_6956.jpg (4.2 MiB) Viewed 1675 times
Last edited by Rj Wilmoth on Thu Aug 29, 2019 2:05 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Neil Schlabaugh
356 Fan

Re: Pre-A Speedster Dashboard Script?

#2 Post by Neil Schlabaugh »

This is the 1st version of dash script. I don't know exactly when it was phased out but I am thinking somewhere in '55. Someone here will be able to narrow it down for you tho. Its an uncommon piece for sure. BTW the background around the letters would have been black when new.

Rj Wilmoth
356 Fan

#3 Post by Rj Wilmoth »

Thanks for the info, especially the ‘black background’. Hopefully someone will post a picture of a good one. I had looked for pictures of Pre A Speedsters before I posted it, but couldn’t find a close up of the dash.
No idea why the 1st picture is duplicated, and I can’t figure out how the remove it.
RJ

Donald Zingg
356 Fan

#4 Post by Donald Zingg »

The first version Speedster dashboard scripts were individually machined. Around March 1955 that script was replaced with the familiar lighter-weight cast emblem with pebble-effect field around the PORSCHE name. When Speedster production started in autumn 1954 the first version dashboard script was gold/ silver plated just like the later version. The black field Neil mentions was unique to the pre-production cars. The dashboard scripts were treated that way so the PORSCHE name would be clearly visible in the B&W factory publicity photos seen in early sales brochures. But from the beginning the design plan specified gold/ silver plating.
----
Attachments
80002QQQ.jpg
80002QQQ.jpg (76.25 KiB) Viewed 1593 times
dash emblem1p.jpg
dash emblem1p.jpg (130.14 KiB) Viewed 1593 times
dash emblem1i.jpg
dash emblem1i.jpg (485.44 KiB) Viewed 1593 times
dash emblem1ii.jpg
dash emblem1ii.jpg (376.39 KiB) Viewed 1593 times

Spencer Harris
356 Fan

#5 Post by Spencer Harris »

Rj Wilmoth wrote: Wed Aug 28, 2019 11:35 pmNo idea why the 1st picture is duplicated, and I can’t figure out how the remove it.RJ
You must be logged in to the site.
You should see a series of buttons top right of your post:
Edit Button.JPG
Edit Button.JPG (8.9 KiB) Viewed 1551 times
Click on the pencil button on the left.
The edit screen will open and you can backspace to delete one of the attachments titled:
[attachment=0]IMG_5956.JPG [/attachment
Click on submit and the post should show only one picture.
Spencer Harris
San Joaquin Valley, CA.

Rj Wilmoth
356 Fan

#6 Post by Rj Wilmoth »

Donald Zingg wrote: Thu Aug 29, 2019 2:41 am The first version Speedster dashboard scripts were individually machined. Around March 1955 that script was replaced with the familiar lighter-weight cast emblem with pebble-effect field around the PORSCHE name. When Speedster production started in autumn 1954 the first version dashboard script was gold/ silver plated just like the later version. The black field Neil mentions was unique to the pre-production cars. The dashboard scripts were treated that way so the PORSCHE name would be clearly visible in the B&W factory publicity photos seen in early sales brochures. But from the beginning the design plan specified gold/ silver plating.
----
Thanks for the great info.
Now all I have to do is get it re-plated in gold, paint the background black, claim it’s from a pre-production Speedster, put it on evil bay and retire to Boca! (just kidding)

Rich Peters
356 Fan

#7 Post by Rich Peters »

Hmmmmmm, verrrryyy interesting!
Thanks Don a minor detail you forgot to tell me about eh?!! :shock:
Of course you may not have known I bought the early type several years ago.
And.....get this, it may have been on #200 originally! WHAT!!!!! No kidding.
I'll paint it black sometime in the future. Looks kinda cool w/black background.
More great information from our friend and book of knowledge Mr. Don Zingg....the Zinger!!