New scam approach

356 Porsche-related discussions and questions.
Curt Dansby
Registry Pres

New scam approach

#1 Post by Curt Dansby » Thu Aug 15, 2019 12:02 pm

Hi Folks

We had several members alert us to a new style of scam attempt today.

It appears that there is "A Registry Member" who has lost their password so they cannot post in the classifieds. In light of the extreme difficulty of re-setting his password it would be much easier for him if you would post an ad for him inserting his e-mail address and phone number into your ad. Once the "sale" (read separation of someone from their cash) is "complete" he will be happy to send you a $100.00 dollar commission for your trouble. We assume this dirtbag is mining the site for posted e-mail addresses as potential marks. I would hope that everyone on this forum is sharp enough to see this for what it is and ignore the e-mail if you get it.

From the classified rules:
We ask that you DO NOT publish your contact information in the body of your ad so only registered members will be able to contact you using the"Click here to contact" feature.

Thanks
Curt

Mike Wilson
356 Fan

Re: New scam approach

#2 Post by Mike Wilson » Sat Aug 17, 2019 9:17 pm

Thanks for the heads-up, Curt.

Mike
Mike Wilson
Lomita, CA
'63 B coupe

Thomas Tuccillo
356 Fan

#3 Post by Thomas Tuccillo » Mon Sep 02, 2019 3:32 am

saw that exact ad, and knew immediately what it was! these bone heads never give up!!!! tom

Brian R Adams
356 Fan

#4 Post by Brian R Adams » Sun Oct 13, 2019 4:12 pm

It's hard to imagine anyone on this forum would fall for something so transparent. I hope I'm right.
"In God we trust. All others bring data." W. Edwards Deming