Popping out of 4th gear

356 Porsche-related discussions and questions.
Ned Hamlin
356 Fan

Popping out of 4th gear

#1 Post by Ned Hamlin »

We are wrapping up a 3 year restoration of our '65 SC, which involved removing the shifter assembly in the process. It's now back together, but it won't stay in 4th gear. We've moved the assembly back and forth, but it has no effect. Could it be the coupling in the back seat area that needs adjusting? I remember a process to reattach the coupler on another car years ago, but I can't seem to find that info again. Any ideas?
Thanks.
Ned Hamlin
'64 Bali Blue coupe
'65 Togo Brown SC
'58 Ruby Speedster
'65 Dolphin Grey coupe
'63 Carrera 2 coupe

If you don't know where you're going, any road will take you there - George Harrison/Yogi Berra

David Seeland
356 Fan

Re: Popping out of 4th gear

#2 Post by David Seeland »

Hi Ned,
I am the geologist that spoke to you years ago when you had a plastic Speedster. I would take the SC north up Phantom Hill, park on the shoulder facing downhill, disconnect the coupling from the shift rod, shift it into 4th with a vise grip pliers, step on the clutch, start the engine, begin coasting and when it gets up to 30mph engage the clutch and see if you can make it jump out of gear. Did you take the transaxle out during the restoration? Maybe the shims at the front mount didn't go back in where they were or were left out and the transaxle is farther forward than it was prior to its removal which could mean that 4th is not completely engaged. The rear toe would also be off if the shims were left out.
Regards, David Seeland
David Seeland

Glen Getchell
356 Fan

#3 Post by Glen Getchell »

Ned
Dave knows more than I so follow his advice. But I also suggest looking at the front tranny mounts (the round ones) and make sure it has all four shims installed. Some times you can swear that there is no room for all the shims and it's decided they are not needed (after all the Germans over engineer everything right). Trust me they are needed! It could also just be a poor adjustment of the shifting rod at the coupler (are the bushings good? Is the set screw tight and secure?). If the tranny was taken apart it could also be the shift fork being out of adjustment. Just a out of adjustment a little bit (there is only a little bit adjustment that can be made) could cause popping out of gear as well.

Glen
64Cx2

Ned Hamlin
356 Fan

#4 Post by Ned Hamlin »

Thanks guys. I solved the problem by readjusting the rear shift coupling until it stopped popping out of gear.
David, nice to hear from you after all these years. Get in touch if you're ever back in Idaho.
Ned Hamlin
'64 Bali Blue coupe
'65 Togo Brown SC
'58 Ruby Speedster
'65 Dolphin Grey coupe
'63 Carrera 2 coupe

If you don't know where you're going, any road will take you there - George Harrison/Yogi Berra