Vent Widow-Cab frame alignment

356 Porsche-related discussions and questions.
gregg hake
356 Fan

Vent Widow-Cab frame alignment

#1 Post by gregg hake »

Hi
Can someone please take a picture showing the relationship between the wing window frame, the rubber seal, and the windshield frame of a T6 cabriolet? Also what is the measurement from door chrome trim to the top of the wing window frame?

The service manual doesn't really show or discuss this clearly and I cant seem to find any pictures on line.

The attached pic is of my car with the above parts loosely in place.
IMG_4733.jpg
IMG_4733.jpg (461.84 KiB) Viewed 1149 times

Jay Darlington
356 Fan

Re: Vent Widow-Cab frame alignment

#2 Post by Jay Darlington »

i'm getting ready to do the same thing. I think what you need to do is to have the car on wheels and the engine in or the weight of the engine there. there is some adjustment to the wing post but it has to be adjusted with the top frame in place plus the widows in the door. you'll want to fit the door to the body at the same time. its a situation were everything has to work together, I would start with the alignment of the door that's a given it has to fit the body correctly then you'll have to work the top and door windows together.
Jay D.
jay darlington

Mike Wilson
Classifieds Monitor

#3 Post by Mike Wilson »

Jay, if I understand what you are saying, there is that much body flex in an open car. So would it make sense to have as much on the car as possible, seats, full gas tank, etc.?

Mike
Mike Wilson
Lomita, CA
'63 B coupe

gregg hake
356 Fan

#4 Post by gregg hake »

Hi
My car is straight and the door gaps are great...but now it is time to get the frame and windows in place. I wanted to see a picture so I would at least know what my ultimate goal is before I started tightening stuff up.
I have found a few long distance pictures that I have enlarged and I think I know approximately what it should look like...windshield lines up with rubber, rubber slopes down to frame...top of frame lines up with bottom of the rubber angle. Makes sense, but I have made that assumption before only to be horribly wrong !!
I think this will be a Chinese puzzle so I want to get it correct the 1st time.

I would still like to know what the measurement is from the door chrome trim to the corner of the frame so I can make both sides consistent, if anyone can help me there.
Untitled.png
Untitled.png (331.71 KiB) Viewed 1104 times

Spencer Harris
356 Fan

#5 Post by Spencer Harris »

Good tips from Jay.
Here's a '58 T2 - probably different for a T6.
Top of door chrome to top of leading edge of vent window frame (closest to windshield) 253mm. Chrome top to top of trailing edge 260mm.
IMG_2873 (Large).JPG
IMG_2873 (Large).JPG (221.66 KiB) Viewed 1095 times
IMG_2877 (Large).JPG
IMG_2877 (Large).JPG (121.5 KiB) Viewed 1095 times
IMG_2883 (Large).JPG
IMG_2883 (Large).JPG (172.7 KiB) Viewed 1095 times
Spencer Harris
San Joaquin Valley, CA.

Dan Kalinski
356 Fan

#6 Post by Dan Kalinski »

Gregg,

t6-b right side is 1/2", Left side 7/8" Know the car took a very hard hit in it's early life on the left side. Pics below:
Attachments
right top.JPG
right top.JPG (1.93 MiB) Viewed 1095 times
left top.JPG
left top.JPG (1.89 MiB) Viewed 1095 times
left side.JPG
left side.JPG (1.79 MiB) Viewed 1095 times
right side.JPG
right side.JPG (1.69 MiB) Viewed 1095 times

Jim Nelson
356 Fan

#7 Post by Jim Nelson »

Wait until you start fitting the seals on the top. Much blue language in your future.....

Jay Darlington
356 Fan

#8 Post by Jay Darlington »

YES, the bodies flex a lot, I was amazed :shock: I just took mine off my rotisserie and have it on blocks under the front door hinge area and rear torsion tubes the door gaps were right on with it on the rotisserie. now with it on the block and the front and rear suspension and trans all in its way off. I'm just about ready to put the wheels on then we'll set it down. I don't have the engine ready so i'm going to build a tray to bolt to the trans so I can load it with weight to match the weight of the engine. my boy who is an auto body teck says we need to load the doors also and possibly the spare tire before we do anymore alignment work.
Jay D.
jay darlington

Mike Wilson
Classifieds Monitor

#9 Post by Mike Wilson »

Thanks for that info, Jay.

Mike
Mike Wilson
Lomita, CA
'63 B coupe

gregg hake
356 Fan

#10 Post by gregg hake »

Hi

This is SOOOO helpful. Thank you very much for the pictures. I now know what I am shooting for.

Gregg

Martin Benade
356 Fan

#11 Post by Martin Benade »

As long as the car is sitting on its tires and the body is repaired properly, engine weight or spare tire should not affect the door gaps or top fit much at all. At least it is true of my B cab.
Cleveland Ohio
62 Cabriolet
56 VW
02 IS 300
04 Sienna