Documenting Our Precious Cars

356 Porsche-related discussions and questions.
Steve Hatfield
356 Fan

Documenting Our Precious Cars

#1 Post by Steve Hatfield »

Recently, Brad Ridley in a NLA email ad outlined new provisions by PNA (at an increased cost) to gain official confirmation of an individual car, similar to but replacing the CoA process and detail.

Has the Registry made any announcement or comment to the membership regarding this change?
Steve Hatfield
Fort Walton Beach, FL
'63 S90 Sunroof Coupe
'06 997S Coupe

Adam Wright
Classifieds Monitor
Tag: KTF

Re: Documenting Our Precious Cars

#2 Post by Adam Wright »

Lots of discussion on the new program here:
viewtopic.php?f=1&t=47972&p=333694&hilit=CTC#p333694
www.unobtanium-inc.com
Check out my Barn Find column in the Registry magazine, always looking for good stories.

Steve Hatfield
356 Fan

#3 Post by Steve Hatfield »

Thank you Adam
But unless one had previously applied for (@$100 or so) a CoA or was fortunate to come upon a Kardex or least likely, have an original sales document, validation of original engine, transmission and various body panels alongside chassis number is no longer possible and hence disadvantaging new collectors, custodians, enthusiasts who are the future of our hobby.
Steve Hatfield
Fort Walton Beach, FL
'63 S90 Sunroof Coupe
'06 997S Coupe

David Jones
Classifieds Moderator
Tag: I wish I knew as much as I think I know.

#4 Post by David Jones »

Is this something that has been dictated by Porsche factory management or is this a USA thing to make more money. Can one still get the Kardex in Europe?
If I had known I would live this long I would have pushed the envelope a little harder.
Cymru am byth
David Jones #9715

Wes Bender
356 Fan

#5 Post by Wes Bender »

Copies of the Kardex are available. Search for "Kardex" to find a source. Check with David Pateman.
The COA went from "OK", to "somewhat unreliable due to errors" to where it is now, "expensive and NWS".
If you have an earlier, more accurate one, you are in luck.
Some days it's just not worth chewing through the restraints.....

Doug McDonnell
356 Fan

#6 Post by Doug McDonnell »

Steve While I had a COA I recently got the Kardex for my car. Just because I figured it might be more difficult in the future. So any future owner of my car will have the info. The benefit to me getting the Kardex is I now know it was imported by Brumos and I have the name of the 1st owner.
1965 356C 2000 BMW 740i Sport 1967 Honda CL77 There is never enough time to do it right, but always enough time to do it over.

Steve Hatfield
356 Fan

#7 Post by Steve Hatfield »

Doug
Thanks for inputting
I agree. I have a kardex and am quite satisfied with it. I am concerned for the future of this pastime and am disheartened by the recent changes to the means we have as a group to research the heritage of these cars. It seems forces are against us.
Steve Hatfield
Fort Walton Beach, FL
'63 S90 Sunroof Coupe
'06 997S Coupe

Steve Hatfield
356 Fan

#8 Post by Steve Hatfield »

The current BaT 356 listing is an example of the new documentation now offered by PNA. No engine number offered!
What good is that?
Steve Hatfield
Fort Walton Beach, FL
'63 S90 Sunroof Coupe
'06 997S Coupe

Mervyn Hyde
356 Fan

#9 Post by Mervyn Hyde »

More than happy with the excellent detail in the Kardex I obtained for my BT6. Porsche Australia give almost nothing away, that you don't already know. I was also able to find original sales information and dealer-factory documentation from a third party.
Merv
TYP356
1963 356B T6
1968 911 SWB

George Hussey
356 Fan

#10 Post by George Hussey »

as long as we can still get copies of the Kardex, I really could care less if Porsche now is deleting engine and trans numbers on their silly glossy tell-you-nothing certificate. Too bad they are doing this, but it is long known that many of the certificates came across incorrectly. I just discovered one on a certificate Brad signed years ago when someone called saying that I had their engine!!
George Hussey

David Pateman
356 Fan

#11 Post by David Pateman »

I have put the data from over 330 356 Kardex into a spreadsheet so that I can see the progression of various details. Hoffman was pretty bad at keeping the records.
Contact for Kardex

George Hussey
356 Fan

#12 Post by George Hussey »

Certainly the Kardex tells it all, and although not glossy, is the best information one can get on the cars. By the way, Porsche Germany is much more able to get info than Porsche Cars North America. Just had an issue with an older 911 (I knew the issue before purchase) and even though I knew people here at PCNA here in Atlanta, they were not much help at all. Porsche Germany came though even though I had to go through channels and did not know anyone over there (had my German Porsche buddy call for me)

I have kardex papers for all five of my 356 models now (thank you J!) and although written in their original sloppy writing and notes LOVE them
George Hussey

Tim Brillon
356 Fan

#13 Post by Tim Brillon »

Can someone tell me who to contact for getting a Kardex?

Thx

Tim
1963 356B Super 90
2000 Boxster S
2008 997.1 Turbo

Doug McDonnell
356 Fan

#14 Post by Doug McDonnell »

David Pateman See his comment above and email him through Registry. Just click on the contact icon in his entry.
1965 356C 2000 BMW 740i Sport 1967 Honda CL77 There is never enough time to do it right, but always enough time to do it over.