Muffler and starter

356 Porsche-related discussions and questions.
Alan Close
356 Fan

Muffler and starter

#1 Post by Alan Close »

I'm tired of the noise from my sport muffler and want to replace it with a nice quiet stock one. Any suggestions as to finding the best for the money. My car is running great and I want to do some extended driving. Also, the engine out of the car for a 6 volt starter rebuild among other things. Any suggestions ?

Thomas Sottile
356 Fan

Re: Muffler and starter

#2 Post by Thomas Sottile »

Try to fine a use old one in good cond

Spike Jones
356 Fan

#3 Post by Spike Jones »

Replace the starter bushing, for one.
Spike Jones
'58 Cab

Doug McDonnell
356 Fan

#4 Post by Doug McDonnell »

I recommend abcpartswerks or Zims for your starter rebuild. And YES replace the bushing.
1965 356C 2000 BMW 740i Sport 1967 Honda CL77 There is never enough time to do it right, but always enough time to do it over.

Bill Tate
356 Fan

Re: Muffler and starter huh

#5 Post by Bill Tate »

+1 for abcpartswerks and Zims.
Bill Tate
Drive your Tub for improved mental health.

George Hussey
356 Fan

#6 Post by George Hussey »

there are rebuilt bosch starters readily available and come with the bushing, also the best muffler to use these days is by dansk
George Hussey

Dave Wildrick
356 Fan

#7 Post by Dave Wildrick »

George Hussey wrote: Mon Aug 12, 2019 10:33 am also the best muffler to use these days is by dansk
You've got to be kidding!
The Dansk clone of the Leistritz stock muffler is the most problem-ridden muffler out there. It has welds that break, pipes that don't align with the head attachment points, and connections to the j-pipes that are too large in diameter to fit right. If you buy one to save money, like I did, by the time you correct all of those things, you will wish you had paid the $1000 for a good stainless steel Leistritz clone, like the M&K muffler. There are multiple threads on 356talk that back up what I'm saying. Just ask Cliff Murray or Jim Learmonth about Dansks.
Dave Wildrick
Houston, TX
64C coupe
65C coupe

Sebastian Gaeta
356 Fan

#8 Post by Sebastian Gaeta »

Dave Wildrick wrote: Mon Aug 12, 2019 10:56 am
George Hussey wrote: Mon Aug 12, 2019 10:33 am also the best muffler to use these days is by dansk
You've got to be kidding!
The Dansk clone of the Leistritz stock muffler is the most problem-ridden muffler out there. It has welds that break, pipes that don't align with the head attachment points, and connections to the j-pipes that are too large in diameter to fit right. If you buy one to save money, like I did, by the time you correct all of those things, you will wish you had paid the $1000 for a good stainless steel Leistritz clone, like the M&K muffler. There are multiple threads on 356talk that back up what I'm saying. Just ask Cliff Murray or Jim Learmonth about Dansks.

George always compliments the Dansk, perhaps it's because he sells them. Like everyone else who has any kind of experience with the Dansk, I gave up years ago and now use the far superior stainless choices that are out there.
Sebastian Gaeta
www.arbormotion.com

Registry #8339

'65 C coupe
'64 C cab

-------
2014 Boxster 981
2005 997 C2 Cab
1967 Karmann Ghia Convertible
1966 VW Single Cab
1966 Ducati Cafe Racer
1964 Karmann Ghia Coupe
1963 Beetle

John Clarke
356 Fan

#9 Post by John Clarke »

All that Dave has just said
Our post submit buttons must have clashed at the same time ! and my post did not appear.
I have never heard someone actually recommend a Dansk muffler, George you were kidding right?
Regards Jay

James Learmonth
356 Fan

#10 Post by James Learmonth »

Summer 2017 I bought and attempted to install three different Dansk muffflers from two different sellers. Two of the mufflers were so misfitting that I was unable to put them on the engine. The pipes to number 2& 4 cylinders simply weren't in the same space as the exhaust ports on the engine. The third muffler was a force fit after many hours of beating and bending. After about a month the gasket on number 2 gave up and it was clear that the exhaust flange on the muffler was not going to mesh with the engine in the same plane. Stoddards and Sierra Madre accepted my returns and the third muffler is buried in my storage locker. I now happily have a muffler by Eisenmann Muffler in Germany. They didn't have any 356 mufflers but were willing to fabricate one. The craftsman at the plant contacted me to check that the dimensions of my engine were correct before he started. Three weeks and $1400 later delivered to my door a ceramic coated muffler complete with a set of hand crafted "S" pipes and clamps. The fit was perfect and installation took all of 30 minutes. That was my summer 2017.
I would now shop carefully as there are now good alternatives but I wouldn't buy a Dansk.

Jim Learmonth
65C Coupe
Houston,, TX

WilliamVaughan
356 Fan

#11 Post by WilliamVaughan »

James,
Did you take any photographs of the Eisenmann Muffler ? Is it the same internal design as the Leistritz ?