Lorenzo's million mile 356

356 Porsche-related discussions and questions.
John Hearn
356 Fan
Tag: Porsche is a two sylable word!

Lorenzo's million mile 356

#1 Post by John Hearn »

Just seen on Yahoo news....
Lorenzo's million mile 356, interesting video.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ioViMzVvF0c
The car is an A sunroof Coupe with quarterlight windows....
KTF
John

Martin Bruechle
356 Fan

Re: Lorenzo's million mile 356

#2 Post by Martin Bruechle »

Great story, thanks for posting. Found some more info below;

Lorenzo's Million Mile Porsche 356

There we were: two amateur filmmakers sitting in a half a million dollar porsche talking to one of the coolest people I’ve ever met. “How in the hell did we get here?” I thought to myself. Let’s rewind a little bit.

Two summers ago my best friend Harrison and I were walking along sunset cliffs when we spotted something peculiar. A small, red porsche that looked like a bathtub with an old man sitting in front of it. Being self-proclaimed gearheads, we rushed over to the car in excitement to talk to the owner. We walked over to the man, who we learned is named Lorenzo, to ask him a bunch of questions about his car that he’s probably answered countless times. But this was no ordinary porsche; Lorenzo has owned the porsche for over 50 years, longer than most marriages last, and in those 50 years has put over a million miles on it. Yes, a you read that right, his car has over a million miles on it. Astonished by the man and his porsche we took some photos of it, but before long walked away to continue checking out Sunset Cliffs. Fast forward to last summer: Harrison came to live with me in order for us to start working on our film productions. The first thing on the agenda: make a documentary about Lorenzo and his million Mile 1959 Porsche 356-A. Now, since lorenzo is on the older side we were unable to find anything about him on social media, or anywhere online for that matter; the only way we could think to find him was to go back to where he was parked at sunset cliffs 2 years ago. On our very first day of looking for him he showed up! We got very lucky with that one, it’s rare things like that go according to plan. We struck up a conversation with him in much the same fashion we did the first time we met him, and quickly pitched our idea of making a documentary about his car to him. With a chuckle and a spark of youth in his eyes he agreed to play along with what he initially thought was a joke. “When you first told me about it (the documentary) I thought it was a joke, but I was having fun so i figured there wasn’t anything wrong with it. Then I realized you were being serious and it became even more fun”, he told me as we sat atop laguna mountain overlooking the desert in between shots, “I like to try a little bit of everything in life”. Aside from having a rare porsche with over a million miles on the clock, he has lived a mind-blowingly full life. From racing in some of the biggest european car races, to attempting to smuggle guns into a war-torn African country, the man has really done it all. But how does one live a life like that? Simple: being spontaneous. For many, “being spontaneous” means an unplanned trip to the beach or going out on a whim, but for Lorenzo it means throwing his adventure bag into his little porsche and hitting the road; sometimes just to go to Julian, other times to go on a 15,000 mile road trip along the edge of North America. “I’ll get a call to visit a friend in another state, throw my bag in the car, and hit the road” , he told me “at the very least I know it’ll always be a good time if I’m in my Porsche”. Aside from all the crazy adventures, and the cool car, the thing that I admire most about Lorenzo is his profound appreciation for the little things in life. Yes, he may have gone on countless journeys that many people only experience in their dreams, but he’s just as happy driving his car 5 minutes from his house to hang out with the many friends he’s made at sunset cliffs as he is racing through the deserts of mexico or europe; as long as he’s with his car, nothing else matters. Believe it or not, we completed this project with no budget (only expenses were gas and pie) using two Sony A7 series cameras (A7SII & A7III) and a ronin. For the driving shots we actually had to sit in the trunk of my mustang while the porsche drove behind us. It was a little janky but I am so stoked on the end result and we hope you are too !
https://www.reddit.com/r/Filmmakers/com ... rsche_356/

Jeffrey Gamble
356 Fan

#3 Post by Jeffrey Gamble »

Great to see Lorenzo is still pushing 356, We first meet him- newly wed at the 1987 Estes Holiday parking lot.

James Learmonth
356 Fan

#4 Post by James Learmonth »

Great tribute to the Man and Machine. Thank you for sharing it with us.

Mike Wilson
Classifieds Monitor

#5 Post by Mike Wilson »

This is a very exclusive club. I now know of only two Million Mile Porsches.

Mike
Mike Wilson
Lomita, CA
'63 B coupe

Jay Wiener
356 Fan

#6 Post by Jay Wiener »

"I crashed into my friend at about 90mph, went through the roof and the removed 1/4 of my brain and pronounced me dead. WOW! Still driving