Seeking Guidance / Pistons, Exhaust, Seat Kit

356 Porsche-related discussions and questions.
Ken Tuvman
356 Fan

Seeking Guidance / Pistons, Exhaust, Seat Kit

#1 Post by Ken Tuvman »

Hi Everyone,

Mine is a '61 356B T5 Coupe.

Car sat for many years and we've been going through it system by system - thought we could get away with running it w/out removing engine and retrospectively, we should've done that. Engine developed a ticking noise while taking a few laps around the shop so we shut her down and pulled the engine. I say retrospectively because there was a LOT of mouse crap in the engine compartment and cabin so I should've known better . . .

We removed engine and disassembled it and found a huge amount of debris - acorns and even a mouse skeleton! This debris was on top of the cylinders on one side of the engine, so I'm sure had we kept driving the car we'd have overheated it anyway.

We disassembled the engine. The spark plug electrode tip in #4 cylinder was pushed together where there previously had been a gap - we found a tiny piece of metal debris that could've been a small washer that interfered in that area. Aside from that, everything looks pretty good - I have a lot of positive experience with my engine builder as he's always done top shelf work on my engine projects - he says the cylinders look good - they're not scored at all and we don't need to oversize rings. The previous owner had recorded compression and said it was running very good when he owned it.

As I'm cleaning parts (while crank and heads are at the machinist getting cleaned up.

I noticed one of the pistons is different than the rest - They're all Mahle and 3/4 have a H stamp with the numbers W021 and 1/4 has an F stamp and W031 - all the pistons look identical and they're in pretty decent shape as are the cylinders (also at the machine shop).

Exhaust needs to be replaced - what is the best bang for the buck? I'm told to stay away from the Dansk system. I believe the existing exhaust is original but we had to cut a hole in it to remove mouse debris and we patched it up but I'm thinking a new exhaust is in the cards.

Seat kits - both seats are shot and I'm interest in buying kits with new horsehair, springs and period correct seat covers - mice got into seats too.

Thank You!

Ken Tuvman
Minneapolis MN
Author / Photojournalist

Ken Tuvman
356 Fan

Re: Seeking Guidance / Pistons, Exhaust, Seat Kit

#2 Post by Ken Tuvman »

IMG_2847.JPG
IMG_2847.JPG (121.85 KiB) Viewed 1895 times
IMG_2845.JPG
IMG_2845.JPG (131.07 KiB) Viewed 1895 times
IMG_2832.JPG
IMG_2832.JPG (99.64 KiB) Viewed 1895 times
IMG_2830.JPG
IMG_2830.JPG (128.52 KiB) Viewed 1895 times
IMG_2825.jpg
IMG_2825.jpg (102.24 KiB) Viewed 1895 times
Author / Photojournalist

Harlan Halsey
356 Fan

#3 Post by Harlan Halsey »

Ken Tuvman wrote: Wed Jul 24, 2019 11:30 pm
I have a lot of positive experience with my engine builder as he's always done top shelf work on my engine projects -*

Exhaust needs to be replaced - what is the best bang for the buck? .

Seat kits -
You are lucky to have a competent engine builder. You won't get any at-a-distance advise better on that subject.
In my opinion the stock exhaust has not been surpassed for a street car.
I've used Autos International several times. Seats are complicated, so even when we have installed the rest of the interior locally, I have always had Autos do the seats.

Joris Koning
356 Fan

#4 Post by Joris Koning »

For a production interior Auto's or Tony are indeed the place to go to. If you are after a true authentic looking interior the picture becomes much murkier and I do not know of any shop who could deliver that without substantial "owner" involvement.
'56 Coupe
'57 Coupe
'59 Cab 
'60 Coupe

Dick Weiss
356 Fan

#5 Post by Dick Weiss »

Hi Ken,

Did you need the claw hammer to disassemble the engine?
(jokingly)
Dick

Edwin Ek
356 Fan

#6 Post by Edwin Ek »

Is the weight of the odd piston the same as the weight of the other three?

Ken Tuvman
356 Fan

#7 Post by Ken Tuvman »

No - claw hammer just happened to be in photo!

Question- cylinders are nikasil & I’m told we’ll need a new cylinder & piston - I believe OEM engine cylinders were iron.

What are our options for finding a single cylinder & piston or a new set of (4) for a 1600 Super?
Author / Photojournalist

Tom Wavrin
356 Fan

#8 Post by Tom Wavrin »

Ken, I have a solid, used Leistritz muffler. My brother is driving out from Minneapolis within the next month and I can check with him to see if he'll have room for it on his return trip (he's acting as a support mechanic for his son who is on the pro cycling circuit). PM me if you have any interest.
The AA big bore P/C kits from NLA are nice and reasonably priced. I believe you can now choose the head angle needed w/o having to machine either the head or the piston top angle.
Tom, Reg # 10576, Oregon
'62 1600S Karmann HT

Jon Schmid
356 Fan

#9 Post by Jon Schmid »

Tom, how much do you want for that Leistritz? 8) Seriously, unless there has been a big sea change in the quality department at Dansk, their exhaust units are pieces of (junk).

Paul Ahnell
356 Fan
Tag: What?

#10 Post by Paul Ahnell »

"Dansk" is Danish (?) for "Run away!".
Paul Ahnell
'60 Normal Coupe

Ashley James
356 Fan

#11 Post by Ashley James »

I fitted a set of AA 1720cc pistons and cast iron barrels to my 356C along with a Dansk exhaust and had no problems of any sort with either. I’m struggling to sort out tick over, but otherwise the engines runs beautifully with lots of mid range torque.

For what it’s worth I also fitted a 123 Electronic distributor because I’m off to the south of France in it in September and I thought it would be one less thing to worry about.

I have a spare SC engine with a Dani’s system that I fitted too. It also went on easily, so I’m not sure what is wrong with them.

Paul Ahnell
356 Fan
Tag: What?

#12 Post by Paul Ahnell »

Ashley, congratulations on your good fortune. Yours is the first positive review I've ever read about a Dansk muffler. You should play the lottery because you are very lucky fellow. Or maybe those persistent rumors are true and Dansk really did improve their QA program. Nah! If they did our vendors would be shouting it from the rooftops. Seriously, when did you purchase your Dansk mufflers and how many mile do you have on them? Did you purchase in the States or the UK and from whom?
Paul Ahnell
'60 Normal Coupe