Porsche-Not Porsche; Ignorant-Not Ignorant; What color is an '67 911S Fuel Tank; etc.

For off-topic posts only (i.e. non 356 related content). No politics, religion or obscenity. Play nice!
C J Murray
356 Fan

Re: Speedster for $500K

#46 Post by C J Murray »

I am busy at Road America, not much time to check in here.
Eric Linden wrote: Wed Jul 17, 2019 2:55 pm Hey Richard Emerson! Ask CJ Murray what he thinks the correct color gas tank should be in a 67S.......
This must be the "troll"? I didn't bring up 911 gas tanks.
Eric Linden wrote: Fri Jul 19, 2019 2:15 pm I understand your tank has been refurbished.... Do you have "before" pictures?
The first time I tried to stop the rust was around 1979 when I had a radiator shop cook the tank. That damaged some of the plastic like textured coating, mostly around the openings. All I had at that time was no money and spray undercoat which was dark and the spare tire made sticky impressions in that. :( That also did not stop the rust. I must have won the lottery some years after that because I bought a repro tank from a very prominent supplier. That piece of garbage would not even drop into the hole in the floor...returned! Eventually I had my original tank blasted and lined by Gas Tank Renu and that was the end of the rust. I'm not sure what finish is on it but it is not original now.
Eric Linden wrote: Fri Jul 19, 2019 2:15 pm One data point doesn't make a consensus.
Correct, I only know my car for certain.
Eric Linden wrote: Fri Jul 19, 2019 2:15 pm How old were you when you bought the car?
My father and I(nearly 16) picked up his new 67S together and I bought it from him in 1974.

I think all this is pretty silly. What difference does it really make that people get so exercised? The same goes for my OPINION that the Speedster is no longer a Porsche. It is an Emory with a Polo engine and is very likely to be fun to drive. If you think Porsche built it that's ok to me. My opinion is no threat to your opinion because you know you are right, right? If Porsche decides to put it in the museum then I will come here and apologize. But really, does any of this matter?
'57 Speedster
'59 Sunroof
'60 Devin D Porsche Race Car
'63 Cabriolet "Norm"
'67 911 S Original Owner
'03 Ferrari 575M
'09 Smart Passion

Vic Skirmants
Registry Hall of Fame

#47 Post by Vic Skirmants »

Getting a little snide there, Cliffy. Watch it.

Wes Bender
356 Fan

#48 Post by Wes Bender »

With all of the quality posts that Cliff has made over the years, being called a troll maybe justifies his being a little snide. Regardless, a little decorum is certainly called for.

Moderators, maybe you should move all of the off topic posts in this thread to its own thread in the Open Forum......
Some days it's just not worth chewing through the restraints.....

Greg Bryan
356 Fan

Porsche-Not Porsche; Ignorant-Not Ignorant; What color is an '67 911S Fuel Tank; etc.

#49 Post by Greg Bryan »

Split from $500K Speedster thread
Greg Bryan

Doug McDonnell
356 Fan

#50 Post by Doug McDonnell »

C J Murray wrote: Wed Jul 17, 2019 7:54 am
Adam Wright wrote: Tue Jul 16, 2019 5:37 pm See, now that's just ignorant.
That is not a very friendly attitude from a fellow "Registry brother". I guess Vic and John are included in that observation since they used the "+1". Oh well, differing opinions are often not tolerated here so no surprise.

That Speedster is still a Speedster like a woman who has had a complete sex change is still a woman.

That aside, I doubt it could hang with a Honda Civic on a back road. If creating modern performance is the goal it will not happen. I do like modified 356s, that is cars that are modified as per "in period", like a period club racer.

So, what is the aversion to differing opinions here? Are some of us a little insecure or just rudely argumentative? It's ok, blast away.
So you like cars that are modified "in period" Just not cars modified "In THIS period"?
1965 356C 2000 BMW 740i Sport 1967 Honda CL77 There is never enough time to do it right, but always enough time to do it over.