Solex 40 needle and seat sticking

356 Porsche-related discussions and questions.
WilliamVaughan
356 Fan

Re: Solex 40 needle and seat sticking

#16 Post by WilliamVaughan »

How old is the short horizontal fuel hose between the fan shroud and the back seat firewall?

Phil Planck
356 Fan

#17 Post by Phil Planck »

I think it was Vic who discovered it takes about 8 pumps after an empty float bowl is filled, before fuel is squirted out the accel pump nozzles.
Phil Planck

James Watters
356 Fan

#18 Post by James Watters »

Robert Vaughan wrote: Thu Jul 11, 2019 12:41 pm How old is the short horizontal fuel hose between the fan shroud and the back seat firewall?
New.
59A Coupe
64C Sunroof

Doug McDonnell
356 Fan

#19 Post by Doug McDonnell »

James I hope I am reading you wrong "Once the motor is running it's great. If I try and start it and pump the throttle multiple times over the course of a minute or two, there's gas in the drip pan under the car." I don't care if you pump the gas pedal 50 times there should NOT be gas in a drip pan under the car. If I am reading you correctly then it is time to have the car trailered to a good 356 mechanic while you still have a car and house.
1965 356C 2000 BMW 740i Sport 1967 Honda CL77 There is never enough time to do it right, but always enough time to do it over.

Tim Berardelli
356 Fan

#20 Post by Tim Berardelli »

Plus 1 on Doug's last comment. If you don't have the KSA's (knowledge, skills and ability) to fix a problem take it to someone who can.

Dave Erickson
356 Fan

#21 Post by Dave Erickson »

Doug McDonnell wrote: Fri Jul 12, 2019 9:21 am James I hope I am reading you wrong "Once the motor is running it's great. If I try and start it and pump the throttle multiple times over the course of a minute or two, there's gas in the drip pan under the car." I don't care if you pump the gas pedal 50 times there should NOT be gas in a drip pan under the car. If I am reading you correctly then it is time to have the car trailered to a good 356 mechanic while you still have a car and house.

Doug, i couldn't agree with you more. I worked on 356's, 912's and VW's a lot back in the day. I used to see at least 50% of those cars had fuel and oil leaks of one kind or another. First thing I would check for. The average owner was completely unaware that they were driving a ticking bomb around, and I think it remains the case today (especially with cars that are driven little and typically go through cycles of fuel lines and carb bowls drying out). It was extremely unusual to find a car with a pristine engine that just needed a valve adjustment, oil change, points and condenser, a few tweaks to the carbs and a pat on the fender. There are many places fuel can leak on a 356, but I think we overdo the analysis on this forum. I suspect that the majority of the time, when someone comes asking really basic questions about a problem, the answer should be to take it to the local 356 mechanic, yearly at least. One thing that cannot be imparted in any forum is common sense.

James Watters
356 Fan

#22 Post by James Watters »

Dave, common sense?? I agreed with you and Doug until you said that. There's an old saying, "you don't know what you don't know". That's why I came here, explained the problems and asked for advice. I don't think I'll be doing that again. I expect that type of comment from other forums, not here.
59A Coupe
64C Sunroof

Vic Skirmants
Registry Hall of Fame

#23 Post by Vic Skirmants »

James Watters wrote: Sun Jul 14, 2019 10:01 am Dave, common sense?? I agreed with you and Doug until you said that. There's an old saying, "you don't know what you don't know". That's why I came here, explained the problems and asked for advice. I don't think I'll be doing that again. I expect that type of comment from other forums, not here.
Sensitive, are we? You received plenty of good advice from people willing to take the time to post. If you want to pick up your marbles and go home, feel free. Those of us who do offer advice will continue to do so for people more appreciative.
Now I'm sure I've offended some snowflakes, but so what.

Doug McDonnell
356 Fan

#24 Post by Doug McDonnell »

Doug McDonnell wrote: Fri Jul 12, 2019 9:21 am James I hope I am reading you wrong "Once the motor is running it's great. If I try and start it and pump the throttle multiple times over the course of a minute or two, there's gas in the drip pan under the car." I don't care if you pump the gas pedal 50 times there should NOT be gas in a drip pan under the car. If I am reading you correctly then it is time to have the car trailered to a good 356 mechanic while you still have a car and house.
James My comments were meant as a warning that if you have gas going to a drip pan under the car then you are in danger of a fire that can and will destroy your car and if garage attached then perhaps your house. I don't know everything which is why Vic rebuilt my transmission and I was glad to pay him for the service. Like you I am an amateur. Vic and Tim are both professionals who maintain and race 356s. And Dave used to work at a dealership in his youth. None of us are trying to Dis you. We are trying to help. Sometimes the best advice we can give is to take your 356 to a professional.
1965 356C 2000 BMW 740i Sport 1967 Honda CL77 There is never enough time to do it right, but always enough time to do it over.

James Watters
356 Fan

#25 Post by James Watters »

Vic Skirmants wrote: Sun Jul 14, 2019 10:48 am
James Watters wrote: Sun Jul 14, 2019 10:01 am Dave, common sense?? I agreed with you and Doug until you said that. There's an old saying, "you don't know what you don't know". That's why I came here, explained the problems and asked for advice. I don't think I'll be doing that again. I expect that type of comment from other forums, not here.
Sensitive, are we? You received plenty of good advice from people willing to take the time to post. If you want to pick up your marbles and go home, feel free. Those of us who do offer advice will continue to do so for people more appreciative.
Now I'm sure I've offended some snowflakes, but so what.
Thanks for the advice.
59A Coupe
64C Sunroof

Phil Planck
356 Fan

#26 Post by Phil Planck »

James
You never wrote what you discovered when you inspected the needle valve. Was it stuck?
I just went thru 2 40piis that were on my 912 before Harry Pellows replaced them with Webers. Dont know when this was done, but needles were stuck on both carbs.
Phil Planck

James Watters
356 Fan

#27 Post by James Watters »

Thanks Phil. I'm pulling the carbs this week and will report back. I did find that the right carb top screws were all loose by about 3/4 of a turn.except for the one holding the return spring. I didn't try and re start it.
59A Coupe
64C Sunroof

Dave Erickson
356 Fan

#28 Post by Dave Erickson »

James, the comment about common sense was not directed right at you. I know it seemed otherwise, so my sincere apologies. What I was trying to say is that sometimes the right answer to a question is "seek expert advice".

James Watters
356 Fan

#29 Post by James Watters »

Dave, thank you for sending the note. Please don't worry about it. Let's just move on from here and hope I get the issue fixed without any problems. One of the reasons I try and see if I can correct problems myself is that the closest 356 mechanic is 4 hours away. I love the Registry and have made many friends here. I'm putting you on that list.
Best
James
59A Coupe
64C Sunroof

Doug McDonnell
356 Fan

#30 Post by Doug McDonnell »

If you think you have a stuck float valve be sure to check your oil as it will have been contaminated with gas. And your oil level might be high when you check. If contaminated don't run your engine until you have new clean oil in it.