Spun Front Wheel Bearing

356 Porsche-related discussions and questions.
Gary Delahanty
356 Fan

Spun Front Wheel Bearing

#1 Post by Gary Delahanty »

I have a spun outer wheel bearing on my 1960 Roadster. After I cleaned everything up, I see that the race spins in the hub. Is there a way to fix this without buying an oversized race?

Thanks in advance for all your information and help.

Gary Delahanty

Ron LaDow
356 Fan

Re: Spun Front Wheel Bearing

#2 Post by Ron LaDow »

All I got is bad news tonight.
I don't know of a source for 'oversized' bearings until you step up to the next standard, and that's going to require machining the drum seat, if it is possible.
Someone is reconditioning drums; I'd ask about that.
Ron LaDow
www.precisionmatters.biz

Joris Koning
356 Fan

#3 Post by Joris Koning »

Contact Martin Willes, he will be able to help. You can always have the drum welded and recut the seat
'56 Coupe
'57 Coupe
'59 Cab 
'60 Coupe

Harlan Halsey
356 Fan

#4 Post by Harlan Halsey »

Martin Willis in Colorado is one good, straight forward, approach. Another is to shim the bearing race. A .010' (1/4mm) steel shim should do it. I think brass shim stock would also work. As usual, the approach depends on what you have available. Then there are the red Loctites

David Nicholls
356 Fan
Tag: 56 Coupe #56209

#5 Post by David Nicholls »

My Moto Guzzi friends tell me that some of those bearings are glued into place, as an extra precaution. You may be able to research this, and solve your problem.
All the Best
David

Steve Douglas
356 Fan

#6 Post by Steve Douglas »

Hi Gary, I fixed a drum that the race was loose. I had access to a good machine shop, used a internal knurling bar on the race. Being aluminum is was easy, the drum was rotated by hand in the lathe, while pressure was gradually applied to the bar. It was done in my friends 57 coupe with ball bearings, and is still good today. Otherwise get a new drum.
Thinking maybe Dave Erickson who lives just over the hill from you might be able to fix it. Otherwise maybe Chris Slay at Chris' Precision Machine in Watsonville
See you on the 20th at Laguna Seca's Coffee and Cars?
Steve

Dick Weiss
356 Fan

#7 Post by Dick Weiss »

I've used Loctite's Bearing Lock material which works on clearances up to .008".
Otherwise, the hub can be machined after adding some material to suit the bore specs.
DON'T attempt to flash-chrome bearing ODs--they won't be easily matched to the IDs!

Dave Erickson
356 Fan

#8 Post by Dave Erickson »

Hi Gary, I'd recommend Loctite 680. I have some if you want to stop by.

Dave

George Walling
356 Fan

#9 Post by George Walling »

Gary, I have had this problem and used a center punch and went around the race seat and punched several places for the race then when seating the race I used either bearing lock tight or sleeve lock tight this has worked great for me. Have not done this to a Porsche but have used it several times on VW drums. good luck with your repair. George
George E Walling

Gary Delahanty
356 Fan

#10 Post by Gary Delahanty »

I want to thank each of you for taking your time responding to my bearing issue. I'm going to try Dave Erickson's recommendation to use Loctite 680. He has great knowledge and I'm lucky for his offer to help. I'll let you know how it works out.
Gary

Dave Erickson
356 Fan

#11 Post by Dave Erickson »

Hi Gary, we're currently traveling with the San Jose Wind Symphony in Ireland. Next week should work.

Dave

Gary Delahanty
356 Fan

#12 Post by Gary Delahanty »

l stopped by David Erickson’s house. We pulled the outer outer bearing race. It had been previously peened. Installed The new race using Loctite 680, let it dry for 24 hours. Packed the new wheel bearing,Test drove it and the noise is gone. Thanks again Dave