Speedster for $500K

356 Porsche-related discussions and questions.
Dan Macdonald
356 Fan

Speedster for $500K

#1 Post by Dan Macdonald »

Dan Macdonald 
'59 A Coupe (105327) 
'57 Speedster (82954) 
Registry #1921 (1982) 
DMAIA@aol.com
My YouTube Channel: Tinmeister 356

Mike Wilson
Classifieds Monitor

Re: Speedster for $500K

#2 Post by Mike Wilson »

I check in every day or so to see where it's going. Let's see if it meets reserve and if so, selling price.

Mike
Mike Wilson
Lomita, CA
'63 B coupe

Dan Macdonald
356 Fan

#3 Post by Dan Macdonald »

Mike,
It looks to me like it sold today for $500k.
I'm sure it's worth it. I get the provenance.
Just kind of unusual that a non-stock Speedster would sell for that kind of money.
Dan Macdonald 
'59 A Coupe (105327) 
'57 Speedster (82954) 
Registry #1921 (1982) 
DMAIA@aol.com
My YouTube Channel: Tinmeister 356

Mike Wilson
Classifieds Monitor

#4 Post by Mike Wilson »

Considering it's a Rod Emory car, I get it.

Mike
Mike Wilson
Lomita, CA
'63 B coupe

Ron LaDow
356 Fan

#5 Post by Ron LaDow »

It is a one-off; there will never be another.
There are thousands of 'original' (although by now, really, 'restored') Speedsters, and they really weren't 'happy' cars to drive; jack up one corner and you probably couldn't open either door. I've owned three, still own the one hot-rod (stiffened; you *can* open the door) and it was far more enjoyable to drive than either of the factory cars.
Regardless, there was a willing seller and buyer; the market says that car was worth that amount of money in July 2019. The market does not lie.
Ron LaDow
www.precisionmatters.biz

John Clarke
356 Fan

#6 Post by John Clarke »

A One Off, Yes unusual, just a very expensive outlaw! based on a real 356, but no better than the many fibre glass tribute cars out there. Don't like it.
Just my 2 cents
Jay

Richard Emerson
356 Fan

#7 Post by Richard Emerson »

I commissioned Rod to build that car years ago. And sold it in 2015. It’s an incredible car that was a blast to drive. With all due respect John Clark, saying it’s no better than a fiber glass replica is absolutely ridiculous and shows a complete lack of knowledge of this car. I’ve had many speedsters including an alloy GT and this car was a favorite. Everything on it was Porsche (maybe not the 16” wheels but they are stock appearance unlike your minilites for example). Including that special engine which is a 4 cylinder version of a classic 3.2 liter 911 6 cylinder and internals. If anyone used a S90 engine or a 912 block this just took the outlaw concept quite a bit further.

Vic Skirmants
Registry Hall of Fame

#8 Post by Vic Skirmants »

Richard Emerson wrote: Sat Jul 13, 2019 6:43 am I commissioned Rod to build that car years ago. And sold it in 2015. It’s an incredible car that was a blast to drive. With all due respect John Clark, saying it’s no better than a fiber glass replica is absolutely ridiculous and shows a complete lack of knowledge of this car. I’ve had many speedsters including an alloy GT and this car was a favorite. Everything on it was Porsche (maybe not the 16” wheels but they are stock appearance unlike your minilites for example). Including that special engine which is a 4 cylinder version of a classic 3.2 liter 911 6 cylinder and internals. If anyone used a S90 engine or a 912 block this just took the outlaw concept quite a bit further.
+1

Peter Silten
356 Fan

#9 Post by Peter Silten »

I wonder how much it would cost to create a car like this one with all of its custom features using a fiber glass replica instead of the real McCoy.

Larry Brooks
356 Fan

#10 Post by Larry Brooks »

Richard Emerson wrote: Sat Jul 13, 2019 6:43 am I commissioned Rod to build that car years ago. And sold it in 2015. It’s an incredible car that was a blast to drive. With all due respect John Clark, saying it’s no better than a fiber glass replica is absolutely ridiculous and shows a complete lack of knowledge of this car. I’ve had many speedsters including an alloy GT and this car was a favorite. Everything on it was Porsche (maybe not the 16” wheels but they are stock appearance unlike your minilites for example). Including that special engine which is a 4 cylinder version of a classic 3.2 liter 911 6 cylinder and internals. If anyone used a S90 engine or a 912 block this just took the outlaw concept quite a bit further.
+2

Craig Richter
356 Fan

#11 Post by Craig Richter »

Is there a point where shoveling money at something that might still resemble a Speedster ceases to be cool?

Richard Emerson
356 Fan

#12 Post by Richard Emerson »

Craig Richter wrote: Sun Jul 14, 2019 6:20 pm Is there a point where shoveling money at something that might still resemble a Speedster ceases to be cool?
It seems like the “high end” is splitting into great original examples and very well done outlaws that gave the looks, DNA and performance. Those two categories seem to get the big money now. The cars in between are being left behind relatively. So we gasp when a great original or an Emory speedster makes big money but it doesn’t surprise me now.

Jacques Lefriant
356 Fan

#13 Post by Jacques Lefriant »

Hi Craig
If the going price on a real/fake Carrera Speedster is 1,500,000 I think there is room for an upgrade to an Emory Speedster of a cool 1M.
my suggestions for incremental improvements.

1. 5 speed instead of 4 speed

2. a 4-Cam 2.0 engine or a 916 conversion to the Polo

3. Alloy panels

4. alloy calipers for the annular

even those are under 500K so there still room for upgrades.
j

m

Adam Wright
Classifieds Monitor
Tag: KTF

#14 Post by Adam Wright »

The car was a non-matching barn find Speedster when it was found, so nothing was lost in turning it into an outlaw. What makes car shows interesting is cars like this, very well done cars with a new idea. Yes, it's still a Porsche, yes, it's still a Speedster. I for one have grown very bored with going to a Porsche show and seeing a long line of perfect over-restored Speedsters that you know see about 20 miles of road time a year. This is not what a Speedster was made for. A speedster was made to be driven and driven hard, this car is a great example of what a Speedster is all about.
Attachments
emoryspeedster.jpg
emoryspeedster.jpg (352.75 KiB) Viewed 1579 times
www.unobtanium-inc.com
Check out my Barn Find column in the Registry magazine, always looking for good stories.

tom collingwood
356 Fan

#15 Post by tom collingwood »

this was an exceptional speedster.

it was a great barn find. And it was transformed into a beautiful driver.
Power, discs, wheels.... all kinds of improvements to really get the highest driving pleasure.

I love it.