C Bunper Trim

For those who obsess about exactly how their 356 left the factory!
Hank Weil
356 Fan

C Bunper Trim

#1 Post by Hank Weil »

Are the nuts and screw dabbed with the body color paint on the inside of the front and rear bumpers? Thanks!!
Hank Weil

Mike Wilson
Classifieds Monitor

Re: C Bunper Trim

#2 Post by Mike Wilson »

I painted the ones on my car, a B Karmann coupe. Seems to me there was a thread some time ago that talked about various nuts/bolts that were painted either body color or black. Neil's book shows the deco nuts and washers on his 356A coupe hand-painted body color.

Mike
Mike Wilson
Lomita, CA
'63 B coupe

Hank Weil
356 Fan

#3 Post by Hank Weil »

I knew that the A's had these nuts and bolts painted body color, but was curious to see if it was also done on C's. Thanks!!!
Hank Weil

Doug McDonnell
356 Fan

#4 Post by Doug McDonnell »

Doing a search Found lots about A cars. This is what I found for C cars:e: Brush Painted Parts
Report this post Quote
#13 Post by Chuck House » Sat May 28, 2016 12:09 pm

Guys, just to be accurate, I have never seen "matt" or "satin" paint anywhere on an original 356. That is a myth perpetuated by early concours judges and unfortunately has stuck (there are other examples like this). The closest thing to satin is the shifter base on B/C cars but it still has some gloss. Everything else, including sheet metal, gas tanks and all the black painted on hinges and undercoating was a cheap gloss paint applied over bare or unprepped surfaces. Naturally because it was sprayed over bare metal or quickly brushed on, it didn't have the ultra high gloss of finishing paint but it was plenty glossy enough. Age and fading/oxidation makes it look somewhat less glossy now but if you inspect carefully in more protected areas and look at period photos, including the "made by hand" video, you will see how glossy the black paint really was. I add a flattening agent to just take the edge off the gloss if using finishing paint. Eastwood's "Chassis Black" works OK too.

On a "C", the bolts holding the bumper brackets to the body were clear zinc plated and not painted, as were the torsion cover bolts. What the factory brush painted changed over the years with the trend being less manual steps as time went on. I've never seen the inside of a C bumper originally painted black on a non-black car but I haven't paid as much attention to C cars, especially later Cs.
1965 356C 2000 BMW 740i Sport 1967 Honda CL77 There is never enough time to do it right, but always enough time to do it over.

Mike Wilson
Classifieds Monitor

#5 Post by Mike Wilson »

Thanks for that info, Doug.

Mike
Mike Wilson
Lomita, CA
'63 B coupe

Hank Weil
356 Fan

#6 Post by Hank Weil »

Thanks for the information Doug!!
Hank Weil

Mike Smith
356 Fan
Tag: Its Only for Fun

#7 Post by Mike Smith »

Guys,
just to be accurate, I have never seen "matt" or "satin" paint anywhere on an original 356.
That is a myth perpetuated by early concours judges and unfortunately has stuck (there are other examples like this).
The closest thing to satin is the shifter base on B/C cars but it still has some gloss.
Everything else, including sheet metal, gas tanks and all the black painted on hinges and undercoating was a cheap gloss paint applied over bare or unprepped surfaces.
Naturally because it was sprayed over bare metal or quickly brushed on, it didn't have the ultra high gloss of finishing paint but it was plenty glossy enough.
Age and fading/oxidation makes it look somewhat less glossy now but if you inspect carefully in more protected areas and look at period photos, including the "made by hand" video, you will see how glossy the black paint really was.

It has taken Many, Many Years for someone to actually say this - PLUS 1 Doug --------------- Now will anybody listen
Mike Smith (Essex - UK)

Doug McDonnell
356 Fan

#8 Post by Doug McDonnell »

I just got lucky on a Google search guys. All Thanks to Chuck House for posting this for me to find many years later. I chuckled when I read the post as it reminded me of one of my favorite Bruce Baker posts about engine tin where he said it should have drips, runs, lint and maybe a hair in the paint. I am of the opinion that most cars today are over restored and look better than they did when on the showroom floor new.
1965 356C 2000 BMW 740i Sport 1967 Honda CL77 There is never enough time to do it right, but always enough time to do it over.

Mike Wilson
Classifieds Monitor

#9 Post by Mike Wilson »

I've heard about the drips on original engine tin. Yep, we do tend to over-restore our cars with powder-coating, cad-plating, etc. I've had the tin on my engines powder-coated. The shop owner is a Porsche guy and his guys know the correct colors for fan shrouds, engine tin, etc. We use a 60/40 blend to get a more correct sheen of black on the tin.

Mike
Mike Wilson
Lomita, CA
'63 B coupe

Mike Smith
356 Fan
Tag: Its Only for Fun

#10 Post by Mike Smith »

My RHD `C` is 131 899 and was end of the line at Stuttgart – there were only 29 Coupes built after this car, so one would have assumed that all the production process`s had been perfected by that time - The Dashboard on this car has NEVER been re-painted.

It has Runs, Orange Peel - Paint Runs - Solvent Boil and Dry Patches (insufficient solvent)

Just drive-em - enjoy them and forget the BS
(Of course, when dealing with customers one has to attempt to service their expectations)
Mike Smith (Essex - UK)

Roy Smalley
356 Fan

#11 Post by Roy Smalley »

Yes Mike, you are correct. Sheet metal AND dash. Whole lot of details are dependent upon faulty memory and cars "that have never been touched", have.
RoySmalley
Eurowerks, Inc.
 Roy Smalley
Texas