New Panels for BT5

356 Porsche-related discussions and questions.
John Clarke
356 Fan

New Panels for BT5

#1 Post by John Clarke »

Hi all
After a really good week at this years Le Mans 24hr, on the way back to the U.K heading north for the ferry port in the 356 I was just thinking how nice and quite the roads were without the big trucks which are banned on a Sunday in France. Heading north on one of the old N roads and on joining a 3 carriage section increased the speed only to have young deer bolt out from the side! It all happened so fast and slammed into the front nearside of the car seriously smashing the front wing, smashed the door in, I think that the rear wheel arch panel may be O.K. What a scary incident ! The 356 was amazingly still drivable! I was unhurt but shaken up! Just one second later and it would have been head on and probably through the screen. Don't want to think about it.
Now if the damage can not be pulled out, where in the U.K can you get a replacement Front Wing and Drivers Door (R.H.D)
Regards Jay

Adam Wright
Classifieds Monitor
Tag: KTF

Re: New Panels for BT5

#2 Post by Adam Wright »

I hate deer while driving....
Attachments
deer-truck.jpg
deer-truck.jpg (120.76 KiB) Viewed 1887 times
www.unobtanium-inc.com
Check out my Barn Find column in the Registry magazine, always looking for good stories.

George Hussey
356 Fan

#3 Post by George Hussey »

I would think that a Dansk dealer could supply the parts to you
George Hussey

Jon Schmid
356 Fan

#4 Post by Jon Schmid »

George Hussey wrote: Wed Jun 19, 2019 11:19 am I would think that a Dansk dealer could supply the parts to you
I hope their body panels fit better than their mufflers. :?

John Clarke
356 Fan

#5 Post by John Clarke »

I was thinking just the same thing Jon. It doesn't instil much confidence, with the ongoing exhaust fit problems!
Has anyone used Mike DeJonge's 356 Panels? I believe Mike has a 911 Design European base. We need a FNS Wing, & NS Door Skin or complete door for the smashed 61 BT5 Coupe
Cheers Jay

Jon Schmid
356 Fan

#6 Post by Jon Schmid »

Jay, I have heard good things about Mike's panels as well as those by Trevor's Hammerworks. I will admit I have not had to use their products (yet).

Martin Benade
356 Fan

#7 Post by Martin Benade »

You don’t have a talented panel-beater that can save the original panels? Due to the welded construction it is worth a lot of trouble to save what you have. The nature of deer damage in particular may well lend itself to a careful repair rather than replacement.
Cleveland Ohio
62 Cabriolet
56 VW
02 IS 300
04 Sienna

Harlan Halsey
356 Fan

#8 Post by Harlan Halsey »

I second Martin's comment. I would check with Andy Prill in England, or one of the English posters to get a line on somebody who can straighten it. Actually doesn't sound that bad if the car is still drivable.
In this country, it used to be traditional for hunters to bring home the deer on the fender of the car. I'm not sure if road kill counts though.

Adam Wright
Classifieds Monitor
Tag: KTF

#9 Post by Adam Wright »

Harlan Halsey wrote: Thu Jun 20, 2019 12:07 am
In this country, it used to be traditional for hunters to bring home the deer on the fender of the car. I'm not sure if road kill counts though.
Big John does this when he hits a deer, calls the cops who come tag it, then he gets to keep it. He calls it "From the grill, to the grill."
www.unobtanium-inc.com
Check out my Barn Find column in the Registry magazine, always looking for good stories.

Ron LaDow
356 Fan

#10 Post by Ron LaDow »

Deer: Large rats with antlers.
Ron LaDow
www.precisionmatters.biz

John Hearn
356 Fan
Tag: Porsche is a two sylable word!

#11 Post by John Hearn »

John
Give PRS a call, they can sort it out.
KTF
John

John Clarke
356 Fan

#12 Post by John Clarke »

Hi Martin
Like you mention, My body man has also said that it is better to pull out the damage rather than put in a new panel ! The body guy uses something called epoxy resin, that doesn't sink like some fillers.
But the front wing has folded in sideways at the lower arch and has been pushed back hard into the door, he seems to think he can pull that back out ! Amazingly the front of the door has escaped serious damage , but I can't attempt to open it as it would cause further damage. I will try and upload some pics.
Cheers Jay

Paul Ahnell
356 Fan
Tag: What?

#13 Post by Paul Ahnell »

John: you should have your head examined if you choose Dansk for any panel parts which need to fit somewhat accurately. Dansk mufflers have a notoriously dreadful fit (or non-fit) and lousy construction with bad interior and exterior welds, etc. and can only be a good indicator of the rest of their line. If you have a large glossary of cuss words you will use every one of them and I expect their panels wouldn't be any better. Just a guess but why take a chance given the poor experience 99.9% of forum members have had? I have never seen a Forum member express a good opinion of Dansk fit-ups. To compound the problem, Dansk doesn't seem to care and keeps tuning out the same crap at outrageous prices. See Dansk? Run away! Boycott vendors who hawk their products. They should be ashamed.
Paul Ahnell
'60 Normal Coupe

Martin Benade
356 Fan

#14 Post by Martin Benade »

At my shop sometimes the best course is to spend some hours beginning the straightening. It will become obvious if it will work out well or not. As to filler, purists don't approve, but the thirty-year old filler I ground off my car was still holding up perfectly, mostly because it wasn't covering up any rust.
Cleveland Ohio
62 Cabriolet
56 VW
02 IS 300
04 Sienna

Doug McDonnell
356 Fan

#15 Post by Doug McDonnell »

PRS or Roger Bray Restorations.
1965 356C 2000 BMW 740i Sport 1967 Honda CL77 There is never enough time to do it right, but always enough time to do it over.