Remote Oil Filter System

356 Porsche-related discussions and questions.
Gary Koehler
356 Fan

Re: Remote Oil Filter System

#16 Post by Gary Koehler »

‘A straight line is the shortest distance between 2 points’
-Archimedes-

I’ll take the shortest route the other vendors offer. Threading the third piece boss is a half hour task for a good machinist, and the resultant cost may still be cheaper than your part is.

Tim Berardelli
356 Fan

#17 Post by Tim Berardelli »

Gary,
I've used the oil pump cover you used in your installation-you can grind material from the top of the new oil pump cover and use the stock tin w/o modification. Ron's cover eliminates this issue during the design stage. I hope you set up the cover and OP gears on the bench and then installed the timing cover with OP gears installed and the FF take off as a unit.

Gary Koehler
356 Fan

#18 Post by Gary Koehler »

Tim,
I did something similar to what you describe - Tapping the assembled cover around with it loosely bolted didn’t work very well so I wrapped each shaft end with .001 brass shim (there was about .002” clearance to the bores. With a little 30W oil on the shafts the gears ran dead smooth with each other after re-installing, so I pinned it there, took out the shims, re-oiled everything and it’s very smooth .
Thanks for the information on the tin, but that ship has already sailed..
Gary

Bill Lawless
356 Fan

#19 Post by Bill Lawless »

My car has a remote cooler behind the right headlight and has been that way for 30+ years.. I don't think an extra 5" or elbow will matter to the oil pressure..
 Thanks,
Bill
65' 356 SC Cab Irish Green :D
82' SC Targa
81 VW Westfalia with 2015 Forester Engine
BMW 64'-R50/2, 75'-BMW R90/6, 74' BMW R90/6, Yamaha BW350

Gary Koehler
356 Fan

#20 Post by Gary Koehler »

I’ve had some inquiries about the third piece boss, how it’s modified. There are several ways that have been used: first was a tapered pipe thread, secondly a straight thread fitting that used an annular chamfer for an O-ring, and the most recent is shown in the pictures below. It uses a straight metric thread with a trapped O ring; compression is limited by the surrounding washer. Easiest and most reliable by far, used on the 3rd piece and oil pump cover.
M16 x 1.5 thread
Attachments
93E16A3C-494C-4D4F-8F7A-75E1F0002AF0.jpeg
93E16A3C-494C-4D4F-8F7A-75E1F0002AF0.jpeg (1.79 MiB) Viewed 1386 times
DA75AB58-EDFB-4BF7-A6A6-17F05C80F578.jpeg
DA75AB58-EDFB-4BF7-A6A6-17F05C80F578.jpeg (114.89 KiB) Viewed 1386 times

Harlan Halsey
356 Fan

#21 Post by Harlan Halsey »

Yes, I agree. I've used those washers, which are available separately as washers for years on my English cars.
They don't make them into German cars, but it's a step in the right direction!
Very nice picture.

Craig Richter
356 Fan

#22 Post by Craig Richter »

No kidding,,, wish I knew about such fittings/washers back in the day. Would have relieved a lot of angst when tightening pipe threads into third piece!

Neil Bardsley
356 Fan

#23 Post by Neil Bardsley »

Gary thank you for sharing this. Lots of happy customer's of Ron's on here but why can't someone present an idea which doesn't involve this product?

Some of you might be interested in another machine Gary has built in the past and it was quite complicated!

https://newscenter.lbl.gov/2015/10/14/2 ... lab-roots/

John Willhoit
356 Fan

#24 Post by John Willhoit »

I don't follow the forum but Gary just sent this to me so I thought I'd chime in.

We tried Ron's small filter but customers kept hitting them on the driveway, but Ron makes great stuff so I'm not going to criticize his product.

With our full flow filter the approach was to provide the best filtration with some additional cooling of the oil. Locating an external filter in the rear fender well provides some air flow to the filter and does result in cooler oil. Using the special oil pump cover allows use of the factory oil pump muffler shield which hides the special oil pump cover and the hoses. Our clamp keeps the hoses from touching the exhaust and the fire sleeve on our hose prevents any potential heat up of the oil in the hoses. The use of a high flow WIX racing filter with a bypass valve prevents over pressurizing the system on start up with cold oil, and with this configuration we were able to eliminate the pressure relief which is a source of noise. We mount the filter stand with rubber isolators to further reduce any possible noise transmitted to the body. The filter itself is the biggest restriction, not the fittings, and we have measured the pressure before and after and there is zero pressure drop in the complete system.

Our full flow set up is the most quiet of any system we have tested. It's very low impact and to go back to stock you only need to plug the threaded inlet and remove the plug from the outlet and reinstall the stock oil pump cover. It does require an electric tach since there is no provision for a tach cable take off. With the muffler shield installed the system is completely hidden from view, and leaving the stock bypass filter in stock will give you the best filtration possible.

The washers with o ring that Gary mentioned are certainly not a bad idea but we've never had a leak problem with standard copper or aluminum crush washers.
John Willhoit
http://www.willhoitautorestoration.com
(562) 439-3333 shop
(714) 356-1735 cell

Mike Wilson
Classifieds Monitor

#25 Post by Mike Wilson »

Thanks for weighing in, John. I've seen your set up and it is very well done.

Mike
Mike Wilson
Lomita, CA
'63 B coupe