YOM yellow plates

356 Porsche-related discussions and questions.
Allen Fari
356 Fan

YOM yellow plates

#1 Post by Allen Fari »

Hi,
I looked high and low for the answer to my question on this site and could not get a definitive answer, so:
Can a California yellow plate with the 56 designation on the top right hand corner be assigned to a 1955 vehicle?
Assuming the vehicle was manufactutred, let’s in December of 1955 could not have been plated until early 1956. (My argument which means nothing once it comes to CA, DMV.) 😡💦
Thanks
Best,
Allen

Mike Wilson
Classifieds Monitor

Re: YOM yellow plates

#2 Post by Mike Wilson »

I think it depends what year the car was first registered. If the car is designated as a '55 by DMV, i think the answer is no.
Mike Wilson
Lomita, CA
'63 B coupe

Martin Bruechle
356 Fan

#3 Post by Martin Bruechle »

Alan Hall
356 Fan

#4 Post by Alan Hall »

It has always confused me that the year tab on a current California plate is the year it expires, ie the plate on my daily driver caries a 2020 sticker, but for the old plates was the year tab for the year the plate was valid and not the year it expired?

Mike Wilson
Classifieds Monitor

#5 Post by Mike Wilson »

That is a bit confusing. My '63 would have the black/yellow plates stamped "63", the first year the black/yellow plate was issued. So were those plates actually introduced in '62?

Mike
Mike Wilson
Lomita, CA
'63 B coupe

Drew Ogden
356 Fan

#6 Post by Drew Ogden »

You must use the large black 51 plates and a metal 55 tab with the car titled like that.

I have had DMV change the year on a car before. I used the VIN verification service at the dmv. I brought literature and a hardback book to show the discrepancy with the VIN and the production year. She filled out her form and I brought it inside to show the clerk. It took half a day, but I got what I wanted. It is no different than changing a vin for a car that was registered to its engine number back in the day. Of course, it all depends on the mood of the employees when you visit.....

Mike Wilson
Classifieds Monitor

#7 Post by Mike Wilson »

As long as we are talking about license plates...I found a set of original black plates that coincide with the letter sequence that would have been assigned to my car and the original owner in Santa Ana. Before I start the process of registering them with the DMV, I want to restore them. Years ago, I had my blue plates restored by Dan Landino in Michigan. His work was excellent and reasonable. It looks like he still restored plates but does anyone have any other recommendations with prices?

Thanks,

Mike
Mike Wilson
Lomita, CA
'63 B coupe

Mike Wilson
Classifieds Monitor

#8 Post by Mike Wilson »

Follow up regarding Dan Landino. Yes, he is still restoring plates and yes, still very reasonable.

Mike
Mike Wilson
Lomita, CA
'63 B coupe