S90 oil pickup-valve

356 Porsche-related discussions and questions.
Ron LaDow
356 Fan

S90 oil pickup-valve

#1 Post by Ron LaDow »

Got a call from a customer (who is not on the list). He has a S90 with the original oil pick-up slide valve, and he'd like to remove it (and put it with his other "original" take-offs)
It's been years since I even laid eyes on one; the B parts book sure looks like there is no fastening to the case other than the 10 peripheral studs; is that correct?
Ron LaDow
www.precisionmatters.biz

jule block
356 Fan

Re: S90 oil pickup-valve

#2 Post by jule block »

thats how mine comes off

Mike Horton
356 Fan

#3 Post by Mike Horton »

Ron LaDow wrote: Thu Jun 06, 2019 8:22 pm Got a call from a customer (who is not on the list). He has a S90 with the original oil pick-up slide valve, and he'd like to remove it (and put it with his other "original" take-offs)
It's been years since I even laid eyes on one; the B parts book sure looks like there is no fastening to the case other than the 10 peripheral studs; is that correct?
Yes, Ron, and he'll need a new standard screen, as well. He really needs your billet drain plug sump cover "jewelry", just my $.02 ( I, too, removed my slide valve, & screen, on my current S90 rebuild)
Mike

Ron LaDow
356 Fan

#4 Post by Ron LaDow »

Thanks, guys. I'll let him know, plus the screen info, Mike.
Ron LaDow
www.precisionmatters.biz

Michael Moss
356 Fan

#5 Post by Michael Moss »

Hopefully he has rebuilt the engine and has the later style push rod tubes. I wouldn't take the S-90 pick up valve out unless it has the later tubes in it.

Dick Weiss
356 Fan

#6 Post by Dick Weiss »

There was a bulletin (I didn't get a chance to look it up) from the factory about the
S90 "floating' oil pickup' was deleted due to the valve sticking during cornering even
w/the later extended pushrod tubes.
During a trip to Germany in 1963, I visited the Otto Glockler dealership in Frankfurt
(where I bought my 1st Speedster in 1958) and I looked in the pile of engine parts in
their scrap pile and saw several of the S90 sump plate assemblies; I picked up 2-of
them to bring home, checked them and found a slight bend in the plate's distortion.
This caused Porsche to go back to the original plate due to warranties of engine repairs.
BTW, the case would need slightly longer studs due to the thickness of the assembly.

Mike Horton
356 Fan

#7 Post by Mike Horton »

Michael Moss wrote: Sat Jun 08, 2019 11:21 pm Hopefully he has rebuilt the engine and has the later style push rod tubes. I wouldn't take the S-90 pick up valve out unless it has the later tubes in it.
With Ron's "Excellent" PR tubes, one gets not only the inner extensions, but... the ability to fix any subsequent PR tube leakage, WITHOUT removal, of a head.
At least, get one for your road spares kit. These are similar, to what I worked on, in light aircraft piston engines,

I've never met Ron in person, but, his products, are "jewelry"!
Mike