Tracking Devices

356 Porsche-related discussions and questions.
Vincent Gillespie
356 Fan

Tracking Devices

#1 Post by Vincent Gillespie »

Hello, This is obviously for the UK bods as I don't know what the coverage of this company is but I'm a member of Brooklands Museum www.brooklandsmuseum.com, over here in the UK, and another of the members runs a company providing tracking services, www.mtsltd.com/index.html, so I took the opportunity to try one of their car trackers. He wasn't sure whether it would work on my 6V system but said give it a go and if doesn't work we can try a voltage step up gizmo (Technical term) and if it's still no go just send it back. Well I installed it today, couldn't be easier, 2 thin leads to +ve and one to -ve, simply stuck, with blue tack, the little box, a little big bigger than a credit card & about 5mm thick, inside the boot/trunk under the nose and went for a run looked up on line & hey presto there's my route, brilliant.

As an aside Brooklands is a great place to visit and the membership is great value
V. Gillespie

steven mclean
356 Fan

Re: Tracking Devices

#2 Post by steven mclean »

Very nice ,wondering if insurance would be lower with it installed? The Brookline museum website is cool .

Vincent Gillespie
356 Fan

#3 Post by Vincent Gillespie »

Thanks for the idea, I have been thinking about this for a while and I was so delighted at finding this tiny thing, that's so easy to install and so effective it never occured to me it might help with the insurance, I must ask them.

The automotive and aviation history at Brooklands is simply astonishing and the Museum and events they run are simply brilliant, they love having things up and running and getting visitors involved. On one visit we saw a Sopwith Camel's engine being run up and the Napier Railton running along the finishing straight, the sight & sound of both was just wonderful. I have even flown the actual Concord simulator, donated to the museum by BA on the basis that it would be restored & used, with a retired Concorde engineer and pilot in the jump seats and simulated a landing at the old Hong Kong airport. It was well worth the price and 18 month waiting list.

V
V. Gillespie

Vincent Gillespie
356 Fan

#4 Post by Vincent Gillespie »

Asked my insurers this morning, Footman James, no change to cost of policy.
V. Gillespie

Tim Berardelli
356 Fan

#5 Post by Tim Berardelli »

Don't tell my wife about this device!

Mike Wilson
Classifieds Monitor

#6 Post by Mike Wilson »

There is also Lojack Classic for 6V systems.

Mike
Mike Wilson
Lomita, CA
'63 B coupe

George Hussey
356 Fan

#7 Post by George Hussey »

I do not let my 356 out of my sight. (LOL)
George Hussey

Vincent Gillespie
356 Fan

#8 Post by Vincent Gillespie »

It is amazingly accurate even showing stops for very short periods of time at traffic lights!
V. Gillespie

Bob Kittel
356 Fan

#9 Post by Bob Kittel »

George Hussey, Not laughing because I don't either. I bet we are not the only two who don't let their car out of their sight.
Bob Kittel

Geoff Fleming
356 Fan

#10 Post by Geoff Fleming »

While it isn't always possible to keep the car in sight, at least make certain precautions once you exit the vehicle. ALWAYS- Lock both doors, use parking brake, on later 356s, use the transmission lock, turn the fuel cut-off to OFF. The parking brake mechanism can be locked in place with a long necked padlock. Utilize ignition/ electrical cut-offs also.
On overnight trips, while parked at a motel, I remove the ignition rotor for good measure.
I know, someone will chime in that the car can still be towed off but the listed procedures will prevent the car from being driven off, which is what most thieves do. Make the prospective criminal work hard to overcome the various obstacles...they don't like to take more than a minute or so to get the car going, so anything done to slow them down works in your favor.
The tracking device sounds like an excellent idea. Few enterprising thieves expect a vintage car to have a locating system installed and will be surprised when the police arrive...or the enraged owner, with baseball bat in hand!

Juha Vane
356 Fan

#11 Post by Juha Vane »

I have a Metatrak system (https://www.metatrak.co.uk/login.html)
that has an inbuilt SIM card that work amost “everywhere”, not in Turkmenistan at least.
In this system you can make a “fence” around the car and it send you an alarm if it move outside this fence.
Have no idea if available in the US.
KTF,

Juha Vane
Finland

'59 308
'63 356
'85 911