Fuel Pump Rocker Arm - Bent by Design

356 Porsche-related discussions and questions.
Dennis Vogel
356 Fan

Fuel Pump Rocker Arm - Bent by Design

#1 Post by Dennis Vogel »

I am rebuilding my fuel pump and discovered that this piece has a small bend at the tip. Is it designed to be that way? I believe this is referred to as the rocker arm. I can't image how it would get bent inside the pump, but it looks weird.
FuelPumpRockerArm.jpg
FuelPumpRockerArm.jpg (61.91 KiB) Viewed 825 times
1960 356 S90 Sunroof Coupe
1970 914-6
2014 Carrera S

Dick Weiss
356 Fan

Re: Fuel Pump Rocker Arm - Bent by Design

#2 Post by Dick Weiss »

It should be flat, but being hardened, It's hard to believe it's bent; Possibly the pump's pushrod isn't square on the end (from a modification?) and lack of enough grease in the cavity, it forced the arm's contact to 1-side.
OR--the pivot hole in the arm is sloppy(?)
The arm doesn't look like it's shape isn't correct(?)--it's been awhile since seeing one; None in my archives.

Ron LaDow
356 Fan

#3 Post by Ron LaDow »

The wear pattern tells you something is wrong:
file.jpg
file.jpg (44.05 KiB) Viewed 793 times
At "A", the wear is offset. At "B", it is offset and not normal to the axis of the part or the pivot C/L.
I don't know beans about early fuel pumps, but that wear pattern tells me you need a new part.
Ron LaDow
www.precisionmatters.biz

Spike Jones
356 Fan

#4 Post by Spike Jones »

Speaking of new parts, does anyone know of a source for this piece as well as the rocker arm?
BTW, this piece on my '58 cab looks just like the one in the picture as does an aftermarket one I purchased many years ago. Both have the bend.
Spike Jones
'58 Cab

WilliamVaughan
356 Fan

#5 Post by WilliamVaughan »

Wear pattern? That is not a wear pattern.
That is the pattern left by the shearing of the steel when it was punched out of a sheet. It is bent because the sheet steel had no strength in that direction during the punching / shearing process.
Look up fine blanking.
(typed by early morning sore head)

Vic Skirmants
Registry Hall of Fame

#6 Post by Vic Skirmants »

Doesn't that "bend" go into a slot in the diaphragm rod? It helps to keep it from disengaging from the slot. That's why they are ALL bent!

Bruce Smith
356 Fan

#7 Post by Bruce Smith »

Vic Skirmants wrote: Mon Jun 03, 2019 7:48 am Doesn't that "bend" go into a slot in the diaphragm rod? It helps to keep it from disengaging from the slot. That's why they are ALL bent!
Yes
Bruce Smith

Dennis Vogel
356 Fan

#8 Post by Dennis Vogel »

Vic Skirmants wrote: Mon Jun 03, 2019 7:48 am Doesn't that "bend" go into a slot in the diaphragm rod? It helps to keep it from disengaging from the slot. That's why they are ALL bent!
Thanks Vic. Makes more sense now.
1960 356 S90 Sunroof Coupe
1970 914-6
2014 Carrera S

Dick Weiss
356 Fan

#9 Post by Dick Weiss »

Dennis and all,

I'll correct myself that the tip of the pump's rocker arm has a slight bend to allow the diapham's slotted tip to get 'hooked' to the the rocker arm's tip to stay engaged when slightly twisting the top 1/2 of the pump to line up to the screw holes.
Years ago, I had the pump's pivot pin almost out of it's retainment (not having the tru-arc rings) and was able to re-hook the diaphram's slotted end to the rocker arm w/o having to remove the whole pump from the engine--since I was still on the road going home; Of course, I had to remove the top 1/2 to 'hook' it--luck was w/me!!!