Kronprinz Wheels

For those who obsess about exactly how their 356 left the factory!
Pascal A J Maeter
356 Fan

Kronprinz Wheels

#1 Post by Pascal A J Maeter »

Good morning,

I purchased a set of correct 1957 wheels from Adam Wright at Unobtanium, who will send them on to Perfect Custom Wheels to have them refinished. Could someone confirm that I require rubber valve and caps (as opposed to metal ones) and that the ones found on the traditional websites are correct?

Thank you in advance for your replies,

Pascal

Rudi Gruson
356 Fan

Re: Kronprinz Wheels

#2 Post by Rudi Gruson »

Hi Pascal,

Congratulations on your rims, Adam is a true-blue guy!

In answer to your question on tire valves, I just went through the process of having a set of rims prepped for putting on my '60 B. I used the Stoddard set for .625 rim holes (https://www.stoddard.com/64436141500-sic36141500.html). My tire guy was able to easily mount them on the rims, as well as the Vredestein tires I brought him. Less hassle that trying to deal with the old inner tubes with metal valves (I assume that's what you mean by the "metal valves") with the tightening nut that can take the paint off of the outer face of newly restored rims.

One thing to think of, though, when you mount the tires of your choice onto your rims is that, unless you can find someone with an old VW wheel bubble level, your tire guy will not be able to balance your brake-drum wheel for you. If you can't find someone with a VW bubble level (I wasn't been able to in NY, NJ, and PA), you will need a wheel balancing adapter to bolt onto the rim, so that it can be rotated in today's tire balancing machines. I bought mine from Ron LaDow (https://precisionmatters.biz/wheel-bala ... dapter.php).

Hope this helps and Keep the Faith!

Rudi Gruson
Member #13559
Ewing, NJ
Rudi Gruson

Pascal A J Maeter
356 Fan

#3 Post by Pascal A J Maeter »

Good afternoon Rudi,

I will follow your lead and get the Stoddard set. It turns out that the shop I use in PA bought the required adapter as they had to balance my previous set of non original wheels when I replaced my tires a few months ago, so all set there.

Wheels have made it to Custom, paid the deposit and should have them here in about 4 weeks.

Pascal

Adam Wright
Classifieds Monitor
Tag: KTF

#4 Post by Adam Wright »

It's helpful to have one of these if you own a 356, means you can take your wheels to any tire shop, just bring your magic ring. Ron sells them now, I think he bought out Mainly Custom.
Attachments
mainely.jpg
mainely.jpg (380.53 KiB) Viewed 1201 times
www.unobtanium-inc.com
Check out my Barn Find column in the Registry magazine, always looking for good stories.