Remflex Exhaust Gaskets

356 Porsche-related discussions and questions.
Gene Wesolaski
356 Fan

Remflex Exhaust Gaskets

#1 Post by Gene Wesolaski »

Greetings,

I have read the various post on Remflex Exhaust Gaskets.

Just wondering it there are any updates? Do they live up to the hype? Any words of wisdom?

I do not want to do the job twice. Thought it is worth asking the question.

Thanks in Advance,
Gene Wesolaski

Jeffrey Leeds
356 Fan

Re: Remflex Exhaust Gaskets

#2 Post by Jeffrey Leeds »

If you don't want to do the job twice then Remflex is your first choice. No affiliation - just a satisfied user.
< Jeff >

Registry Member Since 1978
1963 356B T-6 Super 90 Coupe
2009 997.2 Carrera S
2015 958 Cayenne diesel-1 & 2015 958 Cayenne diesel-2

Mike Horton
356 Fan

#3 Post by Mike Horton »

… these are one time use pieces, I found them at Summit Racing.
Mike

Spike Jones
356 Fan

#4 Post by Spike Jones »

+1....these work!
Spike Jones
'58 Cab

John Brooks
356 Fan

#5 Post by John Brooks »

I use them all the time, they are not reusable,,, so do you fit test and alignment with the older used gaskets ( like bending the danask muffer pipes to fit the motor) then after all is muffler stiff is finished, put them on and drive the car.
John Brooks

62 Roadster
66 912
84 Cab
getting pushed around in porsches since 1965

Gene Wesolaski
356 Fan

#6 Post by Gene Wesolaski »

All,

Thanks very much.

Gene Wesolaski

Paul Ahnell
356 Fan
Tag: What?

#7 Post by Paul Ahnell »

Gene: Concur with prior comments. I've used Remflex in two applications and they are the best. Also recommend Summit Racing as the place to go. If you have ANY problem with something you purchased there they make it good to your satisfaction, IMMEDIATELY.
Paul Ahnell
'60 Normal Coupe

Richard Shilling
356 Fan
Tag: Ex 356 Mechanic

#8 Post by Richard Shilling »

Very pleased with the Reflex gaskets. I also found special manifold nuts on eBay, see attached.
Attachments
356 Manifold Gsks NutsFotor copy.jpg
356 Manifold Gsks NutsFotor copy.jpg (615.34 KiB) Viewed 1515 times
Richard Shilling
1965 356C dolphingrey 

James Learmonth
356 Fan

#9 Post by James Learmonth »

Gene,
Use as directed. This product will leave a smile on your face.

Jim Learmonth
Houston, TX

Spike Jones
356 Fan

#10 Post by Spike Jones »

Gene,
I also used the nuts & washers which Richard suggested. The smaller size nuts give more room to navigate, especially if you are ever faced with the need to remove the
pipes with the engine still in the car. Have had no leaks after installing the REMFLEX gaskets and the KRAFTWERK nuts.
Spike Jones
'58 Cab

Brad Ripley
356 Fan

#11 Post by Brad Ripley »

By comparison, there are the original Factory parts .........

616-111-291-00 exhaust gasket -- made in Italy, graphite with wire mesh -- same as old orig German ones $4.83 each
Remflex = $8.25 each

999-076-003-02 exhaust nut -- M8, 12 across flats, no flange but original Porsche. $.66 each
There are many of these type of "exhaust" nuts with either 10 or 12 across flats, plated/not plated, etc. Kraftwerk nuts cost $1.40 each

Beyond the quality of gaskets and nuts, is the need for both muffler flanges to be exactly parallel to each other on both planes to prevent leaks.

Mike Horton
356 Fan

#12 Post by Mike Horton »

Brad Ripley wrote: Thu May 16, 2019 5:50 pm By comparison, there are the original Factory parts .........

616-111-291-00 exhaust gasket -- made in Italy, graphite with wire mesh -- same as old orig German ones $4.83 each
Remflex = $8.25 each

999-076-003-02 exhaust nut -- M8, 12 across flats, no flange but original Porsche. $.66 each
There are many of these type of "exhaust" nuts with either 10 or 12 across flats, plated/not plated, etc. Kraftwerk nuts cost $1.40 each

Beyond the quality of gaskets and nuts, is the need for both muffler flanges to be exactly parallel to each other on both planes to prevent leaks.
Brad, for decades, I have saved my removed old original wire reinforced ex. gaskets in an old coffee can, for emergency use, with ex. paste, or hi-temp RTV (my only exception for RTV use on an engine, if anyone is of interest why, contact me off forum, and I'll share why).

Are your "NEW" ex. gaskets equal to these old originals, except for the asbestos? Thanks! ( I have found other incorrect gaskets/seals, in late Reintz gasket sets)
Mike

C J Murray
356 Fan

#13 Post by C J Murray »

If you do not use the Remflex gaskets you have a large likelihood of leaks and the resulting backfires. When the cars were new and the surfaces were flat and the mufflers were made by people who cared about quality then the stock gaskets were fine. No longer! Remflex gaskets are cheap insurance against having to do the job over. Make sure to use an exhaust sealer at the slip joints and clamps that are not stretched too much to be effective. The new exhaust parts often are a sloppy fit at the slip joint and need all the help you can give them to seal.
'57 Speedster
'59 Sunroof
'60 Devin D Porsche Race Car
'63 Cabriolet "Norm"
'67 911 S Original Owner
'03 Ferrari 575M
'09 Smart Passion

Harlan Halsey
356 Fan

#14 Post by Harlan Halsey »

Hmmm. I guess it depends on your point of view. My approach is always to fix what's wrong. Not to change something else. My cars are old, but the surfaces are flat and parallel because if they weren't I make them that way. Never had a leak. Brad is right in my opinion. (The quality issue is not new. I will never forget buying a Stebro exhaust back in the 1960's intending to put it on in an hour after work before supper. The flanges were out by more than 1/16". It took me until after midnight to file them into alignment.) There are tubing expanders, if there is too big a mismatch between muffler and header. I like a slip joint there. Reinforce the muffler clamps. Gooping things up with muffler paste is not my style. I am partial to 12mm copper nuts, which I think of as Mercedes exhaust nuts, but which I get from Global Metrics. The Carrera had brass nuts....

Dick Weiss
356 Fan

#15 Post by Dick Weiss »

I've never used Remflex gaskets and copper or brass 12mm nuts over many years of rebuilds or replacements of exhaust systems. Yes, I fought the Dansk mufflers several times, but Leistritz always fits like it should.
My Carrera uses the regular exhaust nuts during my 59 years of ownership; Not brass.
I do use Hi-temp anti-seize on all threads and slip-joints on all exhaust systems to prevent rust and ease of
R & R-ing when needed--some day.
BTW, years ago there were exhaust port gaskets that didn't have the wire-mesh reinforcement--they didn't
last long at all!