Abarth Exhaust thread

356 Porsche-related discussions and questions.
James Davies
356Talk Moderator

Re: Abarth Exhaust thread

#91 Post by James Davies »

Jay, that's an early model, available at least as early as 1953. Nice find.

Jay Aldeguer
356 Fan

#92 Post by Jay Aldeguer »

Good to know, James. Thank you.
Check out some of my 356 and early Porsche photos @aircooledph on Instagram

Adam Wright
Classifieds Monitor
Tag: KTF

#93 Post by Adam Wright »

A little off topic, we got a 67S engine in awhile back, had this on the exhaust. I thought it was cool.
Attachments
abarth.JPG
www.unobtanium-inc.com
Check out my Barn Find column in the Registry magazine, always looking for good stories.

Brad Ripley
356 Fan

#94 Post by Brad Ripley »

Plate on this muffler
Attachments
Abarth911 muffler illus.jpg

Steve Harrison
356 Fan

#95 Post by Steve Harrison »

I'm surprised you missed it James,...it came from Essex, not far from you. :wink:
That's one nice find Jay. Looks like you made the right offer.
You'd probably be surprised how low tech the inside "baffling" is. Perforated inner tube suspended by attachment to the exhaust pipes. Simple, yet effective it seems, to make for a really sweet sound. I kinda copied the idea when I made my two pipe peashooter knockoff.
Again, nice find Jay,...it's amazing that some of this stuff is still floating around out there in good condition.

Jay Aldeguer
356 Fan

#96 Post by Jay Aldeguer »

Thanks Steve. It was just one of those rare lucky "finds".

Jay
Check out some of my 356 and early Porsche photos @aircooledph on Instagram

Pat OBryant
356 Fan
Tag: Florida Farmer

#97 Post by Pat OBryant »

I am considering purchasing this exhaust. Any info on the seller located in Holland.

This is the exact exhaust I had on my car in 1973. The sound then was great on my 64sc.
Attachments
image.jpg

Paul Kust
356 Fan

#98 Post by Paul Kust »

I was at a tech seminar put on by the late Bruce Anderson and he stated that those Ansa exhaust performed like a stock exhaust with a potato in the end. I had one on one of my Porsches and switched to a Bursch and it was like night and day. The Ansa only SOUNDS good, performance, not so much.
Paul Kust
'57 T-1 101611

Erik D. Cox
356 Fan

#99 Post by Erik D. Cox »

My 1956 came with a P-1000.
The rear underside of the car had 2 half moons cut out on with side for clearance to install the motor.
I have not seen any reference to anyone else needing to do this for installation.
Was this modification unnecessary over kill?

Dick Weiss
356 Fan

#100 Post by Dick Weiss »

The so-called 'Sport exhaust muffler' (w/20-pipes) has internal sleeves w/holes and are welded inside when adding the pipes to the muffler's body.
I tried to remove them w/out cutting off the pipes, but I didn't go that far. Presently, it's simpler to use an 'A' muffler and clamp a tube/extension to the nipples.
Original "Sport muffler" didn't have the "holey sleeves" to change the sound and slightly add a little back-pressure.

Jim Liberty
356 Registry Member
Tag: Jim

#101 Post by Jim Liberty »

Reinhold Plank reproduced these. They are beautiful, and I have bought several from him. I believe I have his last one, and I plan to put it on the '56 European I am restoring. The comment about the sound is right on. Nothing like it.

.…………………………………...Jim.
Jim Liberty

Steve Proctor
356 Fan

#102 Post by Steve Proctor »

I have a nicely restored original four pipe Abarth up in the garage (similar to the one in the picture) that I did not install on the 1883cc 912 engine because I am told it is too restrictive.

The sound of that thing was great and I would love to find a way to reduce backpressure and run it. John Wilberg showed me years ago how to open up a 356 muffler and drill baffles to reduce back pressure.

Also, I recall Steve Schmidt ran what he called a "hollow" 356 muffler on a car of his. Wondering if anyone has experience with opening up an Abarth for similar purpose?
Attachments
Abarth.JPG
Abarth.JPG (17.37 KiB) Viewed 1687 times
STP
Steve Proctor
Member Since 1977
VIN 84757

Mike Horton
356 Fan

#103 Post by Mike Horton »

I had one like Steve's on my '57 T1 Normal, back in ;64-'67, and sure liked the "music" it made.

I watched the Paul Newman movie "Harper" recently, on cable, and though I watch it every time I find it, this is the first time I noticed the "pea shooter" tips, as he drove off from the service station... '56 Speedster, in the article, in the latest magazine.

Howdy, Steve!
Mike

Al Zim
356 Fan

#104 Post by Al Zim »

I am probably one of the few if any who put these exhaust system on everyday drivers 1961 through 1964 as a technician. The Abarth always needed to have the flanges that attached to cylinder 2 and 4 heated so they would properly attach to the engine without exhaust leaks. In southern Ohio they rotted away as quickly as the factory mufflers. So far no one has mentioned scraping the bottom of the pipes as you go up an incline driveway. Especially the larger pipes. al zim
www.allzim.com 
356 Parts and Services
www.facebook.com/ZimsAuto/
www.instagram.com/zims_autotechnik/

Mike Horton
356 Fan

#105 Post by Mike Horton »

Yes, Al, mine had those "battle scars" on the pea shooter tips, … but back then, these cars, were just funny old "furrin'" cars, mine was my only car, a daily driver, in which I finished school, so Lyndon could send me to participate in the "Southeast Asian War Games". That old T1 Normal, got 33.5 mpg, at 80 mph, with its "C" 4th gear, but, only managed 20 mpg, in town, with a college aged driver.

If one could find a "gas war", regular leaded real gas, was a low of $19.9/gallon, with green stamps, or those old colored anodized aluminum tumblers. You & I may be among the few old enough to remember those days, or to admit it,
Mike