Oil Temperature sender

356 Porsche-related discussions and questions.
Jules Dielen
356 Fan

Re: Oil Temperature sender

#16 Post by Jules Dielen »

Geoff Fleming wrote:I believe Jim has made the most logical post...the gauges are there to give general indications, not super-precise readings. Coupled with the age of these cars/ instruments, owners should not become panicked by readings that seem a bit off. It is wonderful that some of our vendors can provide great service and upgrades but we shouldn't become unduly upset by variations between cars, engines, etc.
Of course, you always want the red and green , (electric and oil pressure), lights to be working, as these indicate problems that require immediate correction...more so, the oil pressure indicator.
the red and green lights do not tell me when my engine is overheating. I prefer a 'general indication' over a light. If my green light comes on while driving, i had a problem a while ago.
Jules

Water pumps are for windshield washers only.

Wes Bender
356 Fan

#17 Post by Wes Bender »

Jules, that's why my clock resides way over to the right of the glove box. In the clock's original position is an oil pressure gauge. No, it's not concours by any means, but I'd rather know when the oil pressure is dropping, than to know the exact time that the green "you've just been screwed" light comes on.

I've always considered the oil temperature gauge to be an approximate thing. Whether we like it or not, the fuel gauge is about the same or maybe even a little worse.
Some days it's just not worth chewing through the restraints.....

Geoff Fleming
356 Fan

#18 Post by Geoff Fleming »

Jules,
If I read your post correctly, you are saying that if the red warning light comes on, it doesn't tell you to stop and check for a broken fan belt, ( result: overheating). If the green light blinks on while driving, you are being telegraphed of a problem that occurred a few moments ago, not long before, and the engine should not self-destruct if you shut down asap.
Over the decades, I have had broken fan belts and the only indication was the red warning light...sure, if I studiously watched the temp. gauge, it would have climbed into the danger zone; however the first warning is the red light. Likewise, other owners I know have saved their engines by pulling over when the green oil pressure lamp lit up...they didn't wait to watch the temp. gauge climb.
At any rate, a well maintained 356 engine should not be over-heating on any sort of regular basis, if it is, your problems are not with the gauges.

Wes Bender
356 Fan

#19 Post by Wes Bender »

I don't understand the logic of the colors that Porsche used. I would have used a yellow light instead of the red generator light and a red light instead of the green oil pressure light. Those would have made more sense to me. Maybe even put a flasher in the oil pressure light system. For safety reasons, I'm not in favor of a kill switch tied to the oi pressure light.
Some days it's just not worth chewing through the restraints.....

Dave Wildrick
356 Fan

#20 Post by Dave Wildrick »

Just pretend your 356 is a VW bug, and put a piece of tape over the temp gauge.

Worry when the oil light comes on and flickers.

Like the one on my 58 bug did as I was climbing up the Cascade mountains on my way back to Seattle from Wenatchee, WA in 1969. I stopped at a gas station and had the motor checked, but we saw nothing wrong and concluded the light or pressure switch was flaky.
Just after I crossed over the mountain crest, the motor seized up. A guy in another bug towed my car with a rope back to Seattle.
The pressure relief piston had seized and prevented oil from passing through the oil cooler.
Dave Wildrick
Houston, TX
64C coupe
65C coupe