Emergency Brake Pivot Question 356C

356 Porsche-related discussions and questions.
Bill Waite
356 Fan

Emergency Brake Pivot Question 356C

#1 Post by Bill Waite »

I am installing the emergency brake handle, guide tube, pivot bar, etc in our 356C coupe.

Each end of the pivot bar requires a bushing (the Katalog calls it a "bush") to enable proper operation. In the Katalog diagram (copy below) the one of the left side is identified as #20 with part number 644-24-207. I no longer have these bushings (my own fault). Unless I am missing something, I have been unable to find a source for these. If that is the case, I'll have to figure out a suitable replacement, maybe using a correctly sized bronze bushing (?). However, I believe the original bushings were actually plastic, but I may be wrong.

I'd appreciate any guidance / suggestions on this subject.
Attachments
E BRAKE DIAGRAM.JPG
Bill Waite
Grand Rapids, MI

1965 356C Coupe "Reversible Outlaw"

Mike Wilson
Classifieds Monitor

Re: Emergency Brake Pivot Question 356C

#2 Post by Mike Wilson »

That part is NLA. People have made substitutes. Sorry I don't have the dimensions but likely sources for bushing material would be Metric MultiStandard, Belmetric and pssibly McMaster Carr.

Mikr
Mike Wilson
Lomita, CA
'63 B coupe

Hugo Karasawa
356 Fan

#3 Post by Hugo Karasawa »

Those are plastic bushings. It is possible to fabricate those with a lathe.
Take part 21 and 19 to a machine shop and they can machine you the bushing.

Mike Wilson
Classifieds Monitor

#4 Post by Mike Wilson »

If you do take the parts to a machine shop, have them make several so you can repair yours and sell some to recoup your costs.

Mike
Mike Wilson
Lomita, CA
'63 B coupe

Eric McKinley
356 Fan

#5 Post by Eric McKinley »

Bill,

Read this, I got a set produced in bronze to the dimensions I placed on the thread,

They fit perfectly.

viewtopic.php?f=1&t=42568

Bill Waite
356 Fan

#6 Post by Bill Waite »

My thanks to everyone who replied. Eric: before I posted this thread, I did a Forum search using the words "Emergency Brake Pivot" and unfortunately your posting re. the work you did on your system did not show up in the results. If it had... I wouldn't have had to ask the question. I will do a thorough web search to see if I can find anyone listing the proper size, which I am also posting here in the event someone looks at this thread for that info:

Per Eric McKinley, the proper size busing is as follows: The outside diameter: 17mm / inside diameter: 14mm / length: 16mm.

In any event, I will post the results and whatever I end up finding and/or doing.
Bill Waite
Grand Rapids, MI

Eric McKinley
356 Fan

#7 Post by Eric McKinley »

Glad it helped Bill,

Mike Smith
356 Fan
Tag: Its Only for Fun

#8 Post by Mike Smith »

`A` Bushings were steel - Later bushings were Nylon/Plastic

I have no idea when this change took place
Mike Smith (Essex - UK)

Bill Waite
356 Fan

#9 Post by Bill Waite »

My solution (at least for now) was the following:

After a lengthy online search I was pretty convinced that no one offered the ideal size bronze bushing (machine shop would be required). I converted Eric McKinley's ideal size in mm (OD = 17mm / ID =14mm / Length = 16mm) into inches: OD = .67", ID = .55" and length = .63".

I headed to my local ACE hardware and found white nylon bushings in the "nuts and bolts" aisle this size: OD = 5/8", ID = 1/2" and length = 5/8" or OD = .63", ID = .50" and length = .63". So, ideally the ID would have been a bit larger, as well as the OD.

The good news: nylon is inherently a bit "flexible". When I carefully (slowly) press fit them on the shafts (one in a vice and the other with a hard rubber hammer) they "expanded." I used a bit of white lithium grease on the shaft. If you look at the naked shafts you will see that they have a "taper" (smaller on the end than the inboard side). The nylon bushings more or less conformed to that taper. That is noticable in one of the photos below.

I don't know how these will stand the "test of time" but the fit was perfect. I applied a bit of white grease to bushings and the fit when mounted was snug but loose enough to move freely. Total cost = about $3.75. Photos below.
EBRAKE PIVOT SLEEVE.jpg
EBRAKE PIVOT SLEEVE 2.jpg
EBRAKE PIVOT SLEEVE 3.jpg
Bill Waite
Grand Rapids, MI

Doug McDonnell
356 Fan

#10 Post by Doug McDonnell »

Paul Hatfield has nothing on you Bill. Beautiful.
1965 356C 2000 BMW 740i Sport 1967 Honda CL77 There is never enough time to do it right, but always enough time to do it over.

Bill Waite
356 Fan

#11 Post by Bill Waite »

Thanks, Doug.. but, you know the only thing I share with Paul is our attention to detail. He is miles ahead of me when it comes to all things Porsche and his contributions to the 356 community. It is great to have his input and counsel as we work on our "twin" '65 Irish Green / Fawn coupes!
Bill Waite
Grand Rapids, MI

JERRY LANDES
356 Fan

#12 Post by JERRY LANDES »

Thanks so much Bill. I made the mistake of powder coating a number of the arms and they returned with the bushings burned out. So anyone reading this (NEVER POWDER COAT THIS PART!)

Bill Waite
356 Fan

#13 Post by Bill Waite »

Jerry... I did the same thing with the main pivot mechanism. It was powder coated and I forget to mention (above) that I wire wheeled away all of the powder coating on the shaft (getting down to bare metal). I also cleaned off the paint that was on the other "fixed" shaft attached to the front beam adjuster.

In retrospect, if anyone is doing a lot of powder coating they should use the high temp silicone plugs and caps to protect threaded holes or shafts like this, etc. Had I used a right sized cap, powder coating would have no impact on the shaft. These plugs and caps are also useful for media blasting in areas that should remain as is.

Kits of assorted plugs and caps are available from many sources, such as:

https://www.amazon.com/High-Temp-Silico ... s=silicone
Bill Waite
Grand Rapids, MI