Speedster Scam in classified?

356 Porsche-related discussions and questions.
Vic Skirmants
Registry Hall of Fame

Re: Speedster Scam in classified?

#46 Post by Vic Skirmants »

My suggestion: no ad on the day you join. Post in Off Topic and introduce yourself. Post ad the next day. Is that so hard?

chris romney
356 Fan

#47 Post by chris romney »

I like Vic's suggestion. It has a nice balance. Someone who is really interested in joining the club and being part of the 356 community probably won't mind a minor inconvenience as the price of admission. A scammer on the other hand, hopefully won't bother. Good idea.

Chrid

George Walling
356 Fan

#48 Post by George Walling »

I think Vic's idea is a real solution to the problem.

George
George E Walling

Jerry Haussler
356 Fan

#49 Post by Jerry Haussler »

this site launched over 10 years ago and it wasn't that far back that a seemingly endless string of technical issues with the classifieds was sorted out. now there are scammers.
I have seen on other forums where users have been banned unable to return simply by finding a new IP address, where restrictions on on access are controlled by a simple code update, as Vic suggests above. (good idea used on many sites, but I'm guessing it can't happen here)
isn't it about time we dump the 20th century software that operates this site ?
also, can someone who knows the real reason explain to me why the classifieds need a seperate page (running under seperate code) ?
inquiring minds want to know.

Adam Wright
Classifieds Monitor
Tag: KTF

#50 Post by Adam Wright »

jerry haussler wrote: also, can someone who knows the real reason explain to me why the classifieds need a seperate page (running under seperate code) ?
inquiring minds want to know.
That one is easy, it's Baby Boomer Communism. Originally it was part of the main forum, and worked with it. That's how it is in most forums, there is a talk section and a for sale section. Ever since I've been a member of this club, over a decade now, there has been an anti-commercial vibe. Sometimes it was other members but many times it was the moderators and Trustee's. People were told they couldn't post pictures, because you "might" want to sell something, even if you said it wasn't for sale. So much so that posts were deleted and members suspended if they protested.
So at some point the decision was made to make the classifieds a separate forum so the people who didn't want to see the grubby people buying selling things didn't have to.
www.unobtanium-inc.com
Check out my Barn Find column in the Registry magazine, always looking for good stories.

Vic Skirmants
Registry Hall of Fame

#51 Post by Vic Skirmants »

"So at some point the decision was made to make the classifieds a separate forum so the people who didn't want to see the grubby people buying selling things didn't have to."
:D :) :P :wink:

Martin Benade
356 Fan

#52 Post by Martin Benade »

I am not buying and selling, but I am grubby. Therefore I resent that.
Cleveland Ohio
62 Cabriolet
56 VW
02 IS 300
04 Sienna

Adam Wright
Classifieds Monitor
Tag: KTF

#53 Post by Adam Wright »

Martin Benade wrote:I am not buying and selling, but I am grubby. Therefore I resent that.
No you resemble that...
www.unobtanium-inc.com
Check out my Barn Find column in the Registry magazine, always looking for good stories.

Martin Benade
356 Fan

#54 Post by Martin Benade »

I guess you got me there...
Cleveland Ohio
62 Cabriolet
56 VW
02 IS 300
04 Sienna

chris romney
356 Fan

#55 Post by chris romney »

Does that mean if you bathe you aren't allowed to sell things :?

Erik Thomas
356 Fan

#56 Post by Erik Thomas »

The roots of the sports car hobby in the United States are non commercial. Back in the old SCCA days when 356's were raced, no commercial messages were allowed on race cars. No professional drivers allowed. The club was peopled with gentleman ( and a few ladies ) It was mandatory to attend club dinners and meeting wearing a blue jacket and hopefully tie. While a lot of these folks worked on their own cars, they were of an educated, affluent background. A bit of that tradition still exists in this registry, and also with the VSCCA where I race.