Speedster Scam in classified?

356 Porsche-related discussions and questions.
Adam Wright
Classifieds Monitor
Tag: KTF

Re: Speedster Scam in classified?

#16 Post by Adam Wright »

Bruce Smith wrote:Scam cars galore. We really should do something about this.
If we made a rule that you had to have 10 posts before you could place a classified ad, this would solve it. I've had to do this on other forums, once for Gravely tractors of all things. These scammers aren't going to go to the trouble.
www.unobtanium-inc.com
Check out my Barn Find column in the Registry magazine, always looking for good stories.

Arthur Conner
356 Fan

#17 Post by Arthur Conner »

I've had a bit of correspondence with the "Seller" and he has given me an address in Boulder Co where it can be viewed. Anyone near there who would do a drive by or inspect it for me? Just wondering how this works? Is the car there and can be inspected? If so who owns the car?
Thanks, Arthur
Various rides, mostly old

Adam Wright
Classifieds Monitor

#18 Post by Adam Wright »

Arthur Conner wrote:I've had a bit of correspondence with the "Seller" and he has given me an address in Boulder Co where it can be viewed. Anyone near there who would do a drive by or inspect it for me? Just wondering how this works? Is the car there and can be inspected? If so who owns the car?
Thanks, Arthur
Have you talked to him on the phone, or just email?
www.unobtanium-inc.com
Check out my Barn Find column in the Registry magazine, always looking for good stories.

bob lerche
356 Fan

#19 Post by bob lerche »

Arthur Conner wrote:I've had a bit of correspondence with the "Seller" and he has given me an address in Boulder Co where it can be viewed. Anyone near there who would do a drive by or inspect it for me? Just wondering how this works? Is the car there and can be inspected? If so who owns the car?
Thanks, Arthur
Tom Conway at Carquip in Boulder physically has the car and is consigning it for the widow of a local owner. Call him at 303-443-1343.

ThibautBoey
356 Fan
Tag: Thibaut

#20 Post by ThibautBoey »

Adam Wright wrote:
Thanks, Arthur
He don't like to hive his phonenr, he is asking your phonenr.
When i asked him if he worked in the shop of carquip in Boulder, he didn't answer anymore. LOL
Thibaut,

Looking for engine #35176

Adam Wright
Classifieds Monitor

#21 Post by Adam Wright »

ThibautBoey wrote:
Adam Wright wrote:
Thanks, Arthur
He don't like to hive his phonenr, he is asking your phonenr.
When i asked him if he worked in the shop of carquip in Boulder, he didn't answer anymore. LOL
First way to weed out the scammers, ask for their phone number. If someone wants thousands of your dollars they can talk on the phone. If it's a scam, they probably will go away. Some guys are more determined and will talk on the phone but most will stop answering the minute you ask for the phone number. Just remember, normally, there is no car, so don't think you are letting one get away, THERE IS NO CAR!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
In this case there is a car, but it and the price has nothing to do with the picture the scammer is offering. If you want to buy a Speedster picture there are easier ways than this. But the guy running those ads for the half price Speedster HAS NO CAR!
www.unobtanium-inc.com

Bruce Smith
356 Fan

#22 Post by Bruce Smith »

...but Adam, he said there is a car and it's in Boulder Colorado so there must be a car. Someone needs to go to Boulder Colorado to see the car and prove Adam wrong about there not being car. Whoever goes to see the car should take picture of the car and post them. Adam must be wrong. I think there is a car.
Bruce Smith

Mary Skamser
Membership Manager

#23 Post by Mary Skamser »

Everyone,

Tom Conway does have a Speedster that he is selling for a friend. It is advertised at $239,000. None of the recent ads in question are for that car.

As always, use caution when pursuing an online purchase. If you think something is too good to be true, it probably is. Ask other members if they know of the car or the seller. Ask as many questions of the seller as you possibly can and DO NOT send money right away. Slow and steady.

You are your own best defense. If you have questions about safe ways to purchase any car, talk to Registry members. They are happy to help!

Adam Wright
Classifieds Monitor

#24 Post by Adam Wright »

Bruce Smith wrote:...but Adam, he said there is a car and it's in Boulder Colorado so there must be a car. Someone needs to go to Boulder Colorado to see the car and prove Adam wrong about there not being car. Whoever goes to see the car should take picture of the car and post them. Adam must be wrong. I think there is a car.
Ironically, I just overnighted a wheel to CO, for the price of that I should have bought a plane ticket and then I could call your bluff and see, or not see the "phantom car".
Seriously everybody, heed my words, I've bought hundred's if not thousand's of Porsches and while a few have arrived not looking anything like the pictures, I've yet to buy a phantom car but many people have, including people in my business. If you think it's your lucky day and you "found" a car and it's on the internet, you didn't find it, you and dozens more people did or didn't, if the car even exists. If you want to find a car, go to the swap meets, go to the car shows, drive your 356 around and pump gas, the cars will find you, and yes at good deals sometimes. But searching the Registry classifieds and thinking it's your lucky day and you found a half price Speedster is a fool's errand. The Registry group is bar none the most intelligent group when it comes to pricing and value, there are good deals here, and you are hopefully buying from a Registry brother so there is value there, but there are not any half priced Speedsters to be found here.
www.unobtanium-inc.com

Bruce Smith
356 Fan

#25 Post by Bruce Smith »

This is all fun, but honestly if the title of this post alone isn't enough of a warning then more words of advice aren't going to help. I think we're probably all wise enough to know better. An occasional reminder is good. But it's sure annoying to have the classified section polluted by such hocum.
Bruce Smith

Jim Clement
356 Fan
Tag: 1957 356 A Coupe

#26 Post by Jim Clement »

so why not revoke his membership ?
he obviously is still able to post the same 1/2 price car every day.. (until sold obviously)....

John Wurner
356 Fan

#27 Post by John Wurner »

Looks like three more (or the same) scams are posted today, including a Carrera2
on the Registry.
All of the claimed owners joined 1/4/19
John

marcsherriff
356 Fan

#28 Post by marcsherriff »

What a bargain, can I just post over a bag of money, and the seller can arrange transport? I'll be waiting at the docks.....
https://porsche356registry.org/classifieds/24328
Marc Sherriff
Marc and Cars
www.youtube.com/c/marcandcars

Perth.
Western Australia.

Vic Skirmants
Registry Hall of Fame

#29 Post by Vic Skirmants »

Two more; same cars; joined today. Hey trustees; time to implement the "no posts in the classifieds as soon as you join" rule!

Martin Benade
356 Fan

#30 Post by Martin Benade »

I doubt if they would get over the urge to scam after a two-week cooling-off period.
Cleveland Ohio
62 Cabriolet
56 VW
02 IS 300
04 Sienna