Oil Filter Strap

For those who obsess about exactly how their 356 left the factory!
Dennis Vogel
356 Fan

Oil Filter Strap

#1 Post by Dennis Vogel »

Can someone educate me on the correct oil filter strap for a 1960 T5 Super 90? Regrettably, someone choose to use what we used to call plumbers tape (galvanized metal hanging strap) to secure mine.

Porsche parts catalog identifies Oil Filter restraining strap as 54609301. When I look that up, it seems to get used interchangeably with distributor strap. Not sure if that's correct, or just convenient for the parts seller. Great article on the canister types and decals here, but stops short of ID for straps. Couldn't find mention in 356 Porsche: A Restorer's Guide to Authenticity: Brett Johnson.

I'm also unclear if the NORMA 103 marking is correct. Norma does not appear to be German. 103 is the diameter in MM?

Those for sale are mostly silver, but a few a more gold colored. Is this Zinc versus Cadmium plating? Which of these is correct?

P.S. Thanks for everyone's help with my numerous inquiries. Hopefully I am not wearing out my welcome with tedious questions. I do try to find the answer myself before posting here.
1960 356 S90 Sunroof Coupe
1970 914-6
2014 Carrera S

Mike Wilson
Classifieds Monitor

Re: Oil Filter Strap

#2 Post by Mike Wilson »

It's the same strap as used for the generator (not distributor), silver cad, a bright finish compared to clear cad. Yellow/gold cad is for 912's and early 911's.

And no, you are not wearing out your welcome. We're here to help.

Mike
Mike Wilson
Lomita, CA
'63 B coupe

Spencer Harris
356 Fan

#3 Post by Spencer Harris »

generator strap.JPG
I'm sure other vendors sell these too. VW parts houses may also have the piece. Not much more $ than a roll of plumbers' tape :o
Spencer Harris
San Joaquin Valley, CA.

Dennis Vogel
356 Fan

#4 Post by Dennis Vogel »

Mike Wilson wrote:It's the same strap as used for the generator (not distributor)
Ah. Good catch on distributor / generator mix-up. I can now find in the Porsche parts book that generator and oil filter straps share the same part number.

Is there a logic to the markings? "NORMA" May or may not be present when I search the 54609301 part number. I see some with "103", so that throws out the MM theory if they're 285mm size.
1970 914-6
2014 Carrera S

Mike Wilson
Classifieds Monitor

#5 Post by Mike Wilson »

Not sure about the numbers but Norma clamps were used on the engines. Addition clamp on the T-6 oil breather canister hose.

Mike
Mike Wilson
Lomita, CA
'63 B coupe

Spencer Harris
356 Fan

#6 Post by Spencer Harris »

Could just be a date code - maybe a question for Brad.
I have one with NORMA 113 stamped on it.
NORMA 113.jpg
Spencer Harris
San Joaquin Valley, CA.

Dennis Vogel
356 Fan

#7 Post by Dennis Vogel »

Spencer Harris wrote:Could just be a date code - maybe a question for Brad.
I have one with NORMA 113 stamped on it.
Hmm. That's interesting. So I've now seen ones marked 103, 113, and 285. Still others with no markings. All reportedly for the same thing. It remains a mystery.

The one off my generator has no markings for reference. I have seem some people selling this same style as early original small diameter generator straps, but I am skeptical. There is no nut or shoulder guide for the bolt as part of the bracket. Just a hole. This would be inconsistent with the Porsche Parts diagram, and listing for a bolt but no nut needed.
1970 914-6
2014 Carrera S

Mike Wilson
Classifieds Monitor

#8 Post by Mike Wilson »

I suspect the numbers are either length or part numbers. There are several styles and sizes of Norma clamps.

Mike
Mike Wilson
Lomita, CA
'63 B coupe

Brad Ripley
356 Fan

#9 Post by Brad Ripley »

Dennis, the strap you show is from a VW. The proper Porsche part is part number 546-09-301. Since that part number is a "normal" Porsche part number (not a 900 or a 999 for a DIN spec part), it indicates a special part made only for Porsche. Sorry, I do not know what the "103" marking indicates.

Mike Wilson
Classifieds Monitor

#10 Post by Mike Wilson »

I just measured a couple of Norma clamps in my stash. The number corresponds to the diameter of the clamp.

Mike
Mike Wilson
Lomita, CA
'63 B coupe

Dennis Vogel
356 Fan

#11 Post by Dennis Vogel »

Mike Wilson wrote:I just measured a couple of Norma clamps in my stash. The number corresponds to the diameter of the clamp.
Hi Mike. Thanks for taking time to measure those. I had been trying to correlate to circumference.

My generator is 285 mm circumference (91 diameter), and the oil filter 330 mm circumference (105 diameter). Since Porsche uses the same part number for both, they seem to have shot in the middle. The Norma 103 being the strap I've seen most frequently sold as the "generator strap". I guess the bolt length allows the extra space needed for the oil filter. Though I think it would allow too much slop to secure the generator.
1970 914-6
2014 Carrera S

Mike Wilson
Classifieds Monitor

#12 Post by Mike Wilson »

The strap is the same. Any slack is taken up by the thickness of the generator stand.

Mike
Mike Wilson
Lomita, CA
'63 B coupe