California coast road trip

For off-topic posts only (i.e. non 356 related content). No politics, religion or obscenity. Play nice!
Warren Bender
356 Fan

California coast road trip

#1 Post by Warren Bender »

Planning a road trip on the California Coast, San Francisco and north in June/July. Leave SF and drive up Rt. 1 as far as we can, then 101(?) and keep going to the Oregon border.Would like to take 3 days each way. Want to see as much of the coast as possible. Would like to stay at 3 star motels or better (Hampton Inn or equivalent). Love seafood (especially when we can SEE the sea). More concerned with ocean than wineries. Any suggestions as to places to goo, see, or eat from locals or trekkers?
Thanks,
Warren (Myrtle Beach SC)

Dan Macdonald
356 Fan

Re: California coast road trip

#2 Post by Dan Macdonald »

Head up from San Francisco to Tomales Bay. Get some oysters at Hog Island Oyster Company. Then keep going up Highway One to Bodega Bay. Drive out to Bodega Head and get the best Dungeness crab sandwich and clam chowder in NorCal at Spud Point Crab Company. There are at least two nice hotels in Bodega Bay.
A night in Mendocino would be nice. There a several hotels and bed & breakfasts in the area. If you want something really nice, stay at Heritage House.
Take a detour out to the Lost Coast before catching up to 101.
Dan Macdonald 
'59 A Coupe (105327) 
'57 Speedster (82954) 
Registry #1921 (1982) 
DMAIA@aol.com
My YouTube Channel: Tinmeister 356

Warren Bender
356 Fan

#3 Post by Warren Bender »

Thanks Dan!
Duly noted and recorded in my "things to do while in Calif." file
Warren

Bruce Hagopian
356 Fan

#4 Post by Bruce Hagopian »

If you start early enough, there are historic races at Sonoma Raceway May 31-June 2.
Bruce Hagopian

Steve Douglas
356 Fan

#5 Post by Steve Douglas »

I did a recent PCA club tour for some of the route so here are my notes.
You didn’t say when you are leaving, but be aware that the traffic on weekends heading north can be really bad. Crossing the Golden Gate Bridge before 8am would be best, since you need to keep going north skip the Highway #1 from Mill Valley to Pt Reyes, it can be stop and go traffic all the way, Mt Tamalpais has wonderful views but most summer mornings are fogged in.
Use Google maps along with the imagery function to see photos taken by others.
There are numerous small hotels and B&B, many are not listed in the travel websites. It will take you longer than you expect to get through through #1 from SF to Legget where you join into #101, 6 hours driving minimum, if you stop, two days.
Route suggetions.
Take Lucas Valley Rd off of #101, the Nicasio Valley Rd. to end left Pt Reyes-Petaluma Rd. Make a short detour into PT Reyes Station, Cowgirl Creamery, Bovine Bakery, and Toby’s Barn. Back on #1 north stop for Oysters, The Marshall Store or as Dan mentioned Hog Island. Then north on #1. At Valley Ford Rd, #1 goes left thru Valley Ford. Check Wild Flour Bread website to see if they are open, if so, detour onto Freestone Valley Ford Rd. the bakery is well worth the few mile detour, then head west on Bodega Hwy, thru Bodega. Bodega is the town where most of “The Birds” was filmed, the school house and homes are still there. Then on to Bodega Bay, Dan mentioned the good places.
North of Bodega Bay on #1, Jenner is first and there is the River’s End Hotel, nice, but I like the Timber Cove Inn a few miles further north, ocean views, a cove where Orcas hang out. Then on northward, Gualala , Pt Arena lighthouse, and Elk has the Greenwood Pair Inn which may have reopened. Albion has an expensive Inn and an amazing harbor entrance, take the road north side of bridge and go down to the harbor.
Then onto Mendocino. “Mendo” has a few nice upscale hotels and many tourist shops, art studios etc. North is Ft Bragg an old lumber town, on the north end of town the club has been staying at the The Beachcomber, right on the beach, nice motel and cheaper than touristy Mendo.
At Leggett you will join in #101, and into the Redwoods, travel will be about 50mph average, drive the Avenue of the Giants, a slow side road but well worth the extra hour. Eureka, Arcata , and Crescent City can be skipped over. Be careful leaving things in the car, when parked on the depressed towns on the north coast. Trinidad and Patrick’s Pt. has some amazing ocean views close and to highway.
Then Oregon.
Many places to stop along the coast, most tourist websites list them. Brookings Lincoln City Newport
Tillamook Cheese was building a new visitors center, and the Air Museum is pretty neat.
Inland is the winery areas of McMinville, and the Evergreen Air Museum. lots to see way too much for one week trip.

Warren Bender
356 Fan

#6 Post by Warren Bender »

Bruce and Steve,
Thanks for the replies- I have put them with my California "notes"
Happy motoring,
Warren

Steve Douglas
356 Fan

#7 Post by Steve Douglas »

Also if you are in SF on the 1st Saturday of the month there is the 356 Breakfast, in Newark, and the EASY gathering in Emeryville. There also may be a 356 tour in Marin and Sonoma Counties about that time, See 356CAR.org for info.