Saved eBay ads

Share progress on your 356 related project or full restoration with others!
Robert A. Olmedo
356 Fan

Saved eBay ads

#1 Post by Robert A. Olmedo »

I purchased a White 1960 T5 Coupe from a Rick Steves in Portland OR. He had an ad in eBay that noted the car was original and that his father had started a project years ago. He noted he did not know much about cars but had receipt's for work on the car and that all the parts were present. I've received no additional parts since I purchased the car almost 10 weeks ago. He kept saying they were in another storage place and would send him. He is a pleasant person but in light of this I've had to purchase some expensive parts. Did anyone print to ad or speak to him about the parts. I've had to purchase 20k worth of parts just to complete the project and I hate to do it, but I may have to take legal action.
Attachments
60 6.jpg
60 4.jpg
60 1.jpg

Doug McDonnell
356 Fan

Re: Saved eBay ads

#2 Post by Doug McDonnell »

Do you have an itemized list of parts included in the sale? Or only word of mouth? If no itemized list of parts to be included in a contract you may not have many options. Caveat Emptor always applies.
1965 356C 2000 BMW 740i Sport 1967 Honda CL77 There is never enough time to do it right, but always enough time to do it over.

Robert A. Olmedo
356 Fan

#3 Post by Robert A. Olmedo »

No. I remember the ad said it was complete. That's why I'm asking if anyone had conversations of a copy of the ad. Consumable parts are one thing. This was missing the front glass, rear glass, quarter glass, complete interior except the passenger seat and bottoms of the rear seats, seat rails, etc.

Argh...

Martin Bruechle
356 Fan

#4 Post by Martin Bruechle »

Had to look it up. been years since I heard that.

ca·ve·at emp·tor
/ˌkavēˌät ˈem(p)ˌtôr/Submit
noun
the principle that the buyer alone is responsible for checking the quality and suitability of goods before a purchase is made.

Robert A. Olmedo
356 Fan

#5 Post by Robert A. Olmedo »

I was told all the parts were present and stored on site. I sent a person to ensure the car was real. He also noted there were stacks of parts around. When I arrived at the location with a truck and trailer there were parts all over but it was evident many were missing. The seller noted there was a storage building with parts but he needed permission to get them and he would ship them to me. Martin, I do not need your help reminding me of the definition. I tend to believe most people are usually trustworthy.

Sebastian Gaeta
356 Fan

#6 Post by Sebastian Gaeta »

Robert A. Olmedo wrote:I was told all the parts were present and stored on site. I sent a person to ensure the car was real. He also noted there were stacks of parts around. When I arrived at the location with a truck and trailer there were parts all over but it was evident many were missing. The seller noted there was a storage building with parts but he needed permission to get them and he would ship them to me. Martin, I do not need your help reminding me of the definition. I tend to believe most people are usually trustworthy.
Robert,

I believe that if you had originally included the above information in your initial post regarding having had a third party verify the car was real and the parts were present you would not have had the reaction you did about the ol' "buyer beware".

It sounds like you did enough to warrant a purchase with some confidence, while I don't have a copy of the ad and cannot be not be of any help, I think it was a little harsh to snap at Martin. He is a good guy and frankly I was thinking the same thing until more info about the situation was presented.

Good luck with this, it sounds like you certainly have a leg to stand on and I hope someone can come up with the ad in order to help you.
Sebastian Gaeta
www.arbormotion.com

Registry #8339

'65 C coupe
'64 C cab

-------
2014 Boxster 981
2005 997 C2 Cab
1967 Karmann Ghia Convertible
1966 VW Single Cab
1966 Ducati Cafe Racer
1964 Karmann Ghia Coupe
1963 Beetle

Martin Bruechle
356 Fan

#7 Post by Martin Bruechle »

Looked it up for myself, then copied if someone else didn't know the words.
No big deal.

Adam Wright
Classifieds Monitor
Tag: KTF

#8 Post by Adam Wright »

The good news is it looks like you have a pretty decent car. The bad news is the general rule I've learned, sometimes the hard way, is what you leave with is what you get. Once someone has your money, they rarely make good on a promise of more parts. My advice before you start buying up all the needed parts on the open market is hit all the swap meets this Spring and Summer, you would be surprised how many of the missing parts you can find and at prices way below retail. Also, put wanted ads before the swap, people will bring you the stuff and you can save on shipping.
But don't waste your time trying to get parts from the seller or searching for legal remedy, both of those avenues will leave you frustrated and still needing the parts.
Trust me on this, I've bought hundreds of 356's.
www.unobtanium-inc.com
Check out my Barn Find column in the Registry magazine, always looking for good stories.

Mark Sabbann
356 Fan

#9 Post by Mark Sabbann »

Looking at eBay auctions for 'Sold' 356s, the list goes back to August but the only '60 T-5 Coupes in the group were in Texas and Pennsylvania. Do you remember the seller's user ID?
Mark Sabbann
1964 SC Coupe 'Essy'
1965 C Coupe 'The Yellow Delicious'

Doug McDonnell
356 Fan

#10 Post by Doug McDonnell »

Adam is such a deleted eBay ad findable on internet archive wayback machine if correct dates are known?
1965 356C 2000 BMW 740i Sport 1967 Honda CL77 There is never enough time to do it right, but always enough time to do it over.

Robert A. Olmedo
356 Fan

#11 Post by Robert A. Olmedo »

Sebastian Gaeta wrote:
Robert A. Olmedo wrote:I was told all the parts were present and stored on site. I sent a person to ensure the car was real. He also noted there were stacks of parts around. When I arrived at the location with a truck and trailer there were parts all over but it was evident many were missing. The seller noted there was a storage building with parts but he needed permission to get them and he would ship them to me. Martin, I do not need your help reminding me of the definition. I tend to believe most people are usually trustworthy.
Robert,

I believe that if you had originally included the above information in your initial post regarding having had a third party verify the car was real and the parts were present you would not have had the reaction you did about the ol' "buyer beware".

It sounds like you did enough to warrant a purchase with some confidence, while I don't have a copy of the ad and cannot be not be of any help, I think it was a little harsh to snap at Martin. He is a good guy and frankly I was thinking the same thing until more info about the situation was presented.

Good luck with this, it sounds like you certainly have a leg to stand on and I hope someone can come up with the ad in order to help you.
It was not meant to be a snap and I'm sure all persons on this forum are all good guys. I was at first skeptical that the guy had a Texas phone then a New York phone number. I was surprised that he gave his address and the car was verified. Scammers are so rampant these days. The cars in the garage included a 190-SL that he said I would have first right of refusal and a 65 Ducati 250 Scrambler. He had parts for so many cars, unfortunately mine were not included. I guess I should have been more astute, but with the auction coming to an end time was limited. He ended the auction early so I think that is why I cannot find the ad now. I did try looking for days. I know this is a mute point, but I wanted to leverage a partial return of some of the monies that I paid based on this. He did seem open if I could prove this.

Sebastian Gaeta
356 Fan

#12 Post by Sebastian Gaeta »

Robert A. Olmedo wrote:He did seem open if I could prove this.
Then I would request that he send you a copy of the ad. It will still be in his sales history.
Sebastian Gaeta
www.arbormotion.com

Registry #8339

'65 C coupe
'64 C cab

-------
2014 Boxster 981
2005 997 C2 Cab
1966 VW Single Cab
1966 Ducati Cafe Racer
1964 Karmann Ghia Coupe
1963 Beetle

Wes Bender
356 Fan

#13 Post by Wes Bender »

Just a comment on phone numbers. With the increased usage of cell phones and the portability of numbers, an area code for a phone may not mean much.

I hope you are able to make contact with him and maybe get some of the missing parts. How long ago did the transaction take place? Might help us in finding the ad.
Some days it's just not worth chewing through the restraints.....

Robert A. Olmedo
356 Fan

#14 Post by Robert A. Olmedo »

I'm in contact with him weekly. And he lives in OR. The Car was purchased in Aug.

Sebastian Gaeta
356 Fan

#15 Post by Sebastian Gaeta »

Robert A. Olmedo wrote:I'm in contact with him weekly. And he lives in OR. The Car was purchased in Aug.

Then again, since he is willing to concede something if you can "prove it" ask him to send you a link to the ad. It is still in his eBay sales history; doesn't matter if he ended the auction early, it is in there and he has access to it.

That should settle everything for you once and for all.
Sebastian Gaeta
www.arbormotion.com

Registry #8339

'65 C coupe
'64 C cab

-------
2014 Boxster 981
2005 997 C2 Cab
1966 VW Single Cab
1966 Ducati Cafe Racer
1964 Karmann Ghia Coupe