VDO Furl level tank sender

356 Porsche-related discussions and questions.
W Mullis
356 Fan

VDO Furl level tank sender

#1 Post by W Mullis »

Fuel level sender repair. I have a 1958 A coupe that has a problem with the fuel sender. Upon examination I found that there were drop outs in continuity when the float arm is moved from full to empty. Which repair companies can repair this type of problem? It is the original sender to the car, I wish to retain this unit for the car as it is correctly dated. Thanks W Jeff Mullis

John Brooks
356 Fan

Re: VDO Furl level tank sender

#2 Post by John Brooks »

It's probably just corrosion on the wiper/ wire coil. Remove the cork gasket and soak it in pickling vinegar for a couple days. The vinegar will dissolve the corrosion on the brass and copper wire. Then soak it in baking soda for 10 min to neutralize the acid, then rinse with water and blow dry with a hair dryer on low. It should read 0-200 ohms as you move the float.

The vinegar won't hurt the cork if its stuck. I just did one. I used evaporust and it works fine now.
Attachments
AFTER;   ll the rust is gone, the pits remain but it works,  will cover this with POR when we seal the tank. You can see the wire resistor across the window, and the wiper to the right.
AFTER; ll the rust is gone, the pits remain but it works, will cover this with POR when we seal the tank. You can see the wire resistor across the window, and the wiper to the right.
BEFORE;   This was pull from a C a couple days ago. Metered open. And very ugly
BEFORE; This was pull from a C a couple days ago. Metered open. And very ugly
John Brooks

62 Roadster
66 912
84 Cab
getting pushed around in porsches since 1965

Joris Koning
356 Fan

#3 Post by Joris Koning »

I have been restoring senders for years for many of the shops out there. The A/B senders typically suffer from a worn out pivot hole leading to a bouncy needle. Broken resistor wires are also quite common and can be re-wound.

I have been pushed back on some existing restorations as my plater ran into some issues. Hope to finish these senders in the next weeks.
Attachments
IMG_1153.JPG
'56 Coupe
'57 Coupe
'59 Cab 
'60 Coupe

Mike Wilson
Classifieds Monitor

#4 Post by Mike Wilson »

There is a company, Specialty Cars Service Center that repairs VDO gauges.

Mike
Mike Wilson
Lomita, CA
'63 B coupe

Jim Clement
356 Fan
Tag: 1957 356 A Coupe

#5 Post by Jim Clement »

Joris
I have been looking diligently for that plastic isolator piece for the positive side connection.
would you share your supplier or give me a hint on where I could get one ?
The senders look amazing for sure
Attachments
sender isolation piece..PNG
sender isolation piece..PNG (350.4 KiB) Viewed 1064 times

Mervyn Hyde
356 Fan

#6 Post by Mervyn Hyde »

Very nice work Joris. My (Australian) BT6 has that isolator but it is black. Is that correct? The gauge was rather inaccurate and had erratic motion, but after some testing and cleaning of the resistor coil and associated parts (and fitting a capacitor over the terminals) it is solid and accurate now.
Merv
TYP356
1963 356B T6
1968 911 SWB

Jim Clement
356 Fan

#7 Post by Jim Clement »

Mervyn / Joris
how do you clean the sender ?
do you have to take it apart, or just as per above, dip in vinegar, as per above ??

John Brooks
356 Fan

#8 Post by John Brooks »

I have also used a pink eraser, rub lightly, in the Direction of the winding NOT ACROSS IT. This removes the corrosion and makes the wire bright again. But a chem dip is easier. It takes longer but no chance on breaking the wire on the coil. This is a pretty simple circuit. You can also carefully strighten the four tabs and disassemble it, unsolder the resistor and rebuild everything. It was assembled by a human, you can fix it.

I have done it both ways, but the chem dip is the easiest.

The ring terminal insulator is a DIN standard component.
John Brooks

62 Roadster
66 912
84 Cab
getting pushed around in porsches since 1965

Jim Clement
356 Fan

#9 Post by Jim Clement »

where would I get a DIN terminal insulator like that ??

Mervyn Hyde
356 Fan

#10 Post by Mervyn Hyde »

Jim,

Mine has the top sender and is not on the flat tank (BT6, non-US). It looks like this (mine was in much better condition). I was quite taken by the 'petals' on the ends of the float as a means to increase drag, I suspect, and dampen the action. I dismantled it before cleaning after an overnight soak in some vinegar.

Merv
TYP356
1963 356B T6
1968 911 SWB

Joris Koning
356 Fan

#11 Post by Joris Koning »

All those parts not currently available I have made myself or had made to ensure an as authentic as possible result. This includes the wire shield and the insulator as well as some of the hardware for which the DIN spec has changed.

For those looking for an appropriate dated sender for their car, I have quite a few cores with different dates
'56 Coupe
'57 Coupe
'59 Cab 
'60 Coupe