Chrome platers

356 Porsche-related discussions and questions.
Michael Moss
356 Fan

Chrome platers

#1 Post by Michael Moss »

Any recommendations for chrome plating? I would prefer to do business in the S.F. Bay Area, but I'm willing to ship my parts if someone has had a good experience somewhere else. I need the window frames replated along with the quarter window frames, latches, and some small misc parts. Mike

Mike Wilson
Classifieds Monitor

Re: Chrome platers

#2 Post by Mike Wilson »

Two platers I use in the Los Angeles area: Luis at Supreme Plating in Inglewood and Jose at Christensen's Plating in Vernon. I just had Luis do a pair of quarter window frames and latches and he previously did my door frames. They came out great. I refer to Christensen's as the Tiffany's of chrome work. He does excellent work on parts that have have more definition that needs to be retained. He is more expensive but well worth it.

Mike
Mike Wilson
Lomita, CA
'63 B coupe

Jay Wiener
356 Fan

#3 Post by Jay Wiener »

Mike, Christensen's used to be the best. They are very expensive now and you need to check all of their work.

Alan Hall
356 Fan

#4 Post by Alan Hall »

Mike,
It has been a number of years now, but I was happy with the work done by Global Spec Plating. As I recall they were in either Hayward or Fremont. Seemed very professional and did a good job.

ralph bauer
356 Fan

#5 Post by ralph bauer »

Hi Mike,
Two platers I have used within the last five years:
1. ABC Plating in Sparks, Nevada. Good quality/prices. they do a lot of plating for custom cycles, and domestic hot rods.
2. Johnson Plating on Telegraph in Oakland. Small shop, I don't know how large of items they can handle. Fairly expensive.
Ralph

Steve Douglas
356 Fan

#6 Post by Steve Douglas »

Mike, I have used Johnson's in Oakland for years, and they have always been good. I guess now that Superior in San Jose is finally closed, and some of the guys moved to Valley Plating, but reports that they aren't good enough for 356 parts. Also I have used Walkers Chrome, in Lake Shasta, but that was years ago, back when Grandpa ran the shop in Vacaville, 3rd generation family business.
ABC has done some work for others and reported as good.
AAA, and Sherms in Sacramento both have been good, and do a lot of Hot Rod work and they are cheaper than those in the Bay Area.
Inventory the parts, make sure that the details of each piece are written down on the list, such as the ridge on Areo mirror bases are to be left, make a brace to hold the window channels from warping. and a any of the SWF and K numbers may be wanted.

Rick Albro
356 Fan

#7 Post by Rick Albro »

Jose at Christensen's plating is the only choice if you want your plating to be right! How expensive is the work if the part is destroyed? If the part has to look good and meet high tolerance like door handle parts where the replacements are hard to find and expensive you want the plating to be right with out question. If the part does not matter how it looks or performs than who you choose does not matter. I have had good plating at other shops but Jose's work is unmatched when the plating counts. Some parts are less critical than others so choose according to what your needs are.
Attachments
IMG_7592.JPG

Jim Alton
356 Fan

#8 Post by Jim Alton »

As long as we're debating Los Angeles area platers, I've always gone to:

Verne's Chrome Plating
1559 W El Segundo Blvd,
Gardena, CA 90249

(323) 754-4126

And, I will continue to take my work to Verne's

Jim Alton
Los Angeles County, CA
1958 Porsche 356A Cabriolet
1965 Porsche 911 Coupé
1966 Volkswagen Type 2
2003 Porsche 986 Boxster

Mike Wilson
Classifieds Monitor

#9 Post by Mike Wilson »

I used to use Verne's until, after specifically telling them not to buff off the SWF on my front tyrn signsls, they did anyway and just shrugged when I sounded them about it. A friend and I priced chroming T-6 door frames getting estimates from Supreme, Christensen's and Verne's. Verne's was the highest then said it would be even more if we wanted the "Willhoit level". We went with Christensen's and they came out great.

Mike
Mike Wilson
Lomita, CA
'63 B coupe

Greg Bryan
356 Fan

#10 Post by Greg Bryan »

I've used Christensen's and Verne's - I thought the Christensen's output was superior. The staff at Christenson's are very familiar with the 356 parts and, for example, showed me several areas that typically have cracks and, sure enough, mine were cracked. They repaired the parts before plating - the finished product was stunning - there's no other word. Verne's was good, but not at the same level, in my opinion.
Greg Bryan

Michael Moss
356 Fan

#11 Post by Michael Moss »

As a follow up on the chrome platers, I took my parts to Global Plating in Fremont. Price was reasonable compared to others, and the parts turned out great! When I walked in with my parts the guy identifided them as Porsche parts without me saying anything. They were careful with the polishing at the corners ( not to round the tips ) of the quarter windows. Took a little time but great results. Mike

Mike Wilson
Classifieds Monitor

#12 Post by Mike Wilson »

Congrats, Mike, on getting a satisfactory job. We can add them to our list of good platers.

Mike
Mike Wilson
Lomita, CA
'63 B coupe

Tom Wavrin
356 Fan

Chrome platers

#13 Post by Tom Wavrin »

Walker's Chrome in Shasta City, CA, closed shop at the end of 2017.
Tom, Reg # 10576, Oregon
'62 1600S Karmann HT

Ron LaDow
356 Fan

#14 Post by Ron LaDow »

Michael Moss wrote:As a follow up on the chrome platers, I took my parts to Global Plating in Fremont.
In which state? Your profile offers no clue.
Ron LaDow
www.precisionmatters.biz

Ron LaDow
356 Fan

#15 Post by Ron LaDow »

Tom Wavrin wrote:Walker's Chrome in Shasta City, CA, closed shop at the end of 2017.
Industrial Plating in San Carlos, CA did so about 6 months prior to that. One of the last shops in Nor Cal doing Cd plating. Yes, it's toxic, as are kidney beans, if you eat them improperly prepared:
"I was reading up on toxic foods when I saw them on the list: kidney beans."
https://www.statefoodsafety.com/Resourc ... oxic-beans
Hint: Don't eat Cd.
Ron LaDow
www.precisionmatters.biz