Why does my speedometer cable keep breaking ?

356 Porsche-related discussions and questions.
Wes Bender
356 Fan

Re: Why does my speedometer cable keep breaking ?

#16 Post by Wes Bender »

I have tools, jack and floor stands. Where in AZ will you be snow-birding? I'm in the Baja segment of the AZ Outlaws. If you're in the northern part I'm sure several of the guys up there have tools too.

When you get back out in January, use a small piece of square stock or maybe even a match stick and see if the speedometer disc spins freely (or nearly so). It turns counterclockwise, looking at the back. If it is stiff or difficult to turn, you've probably found your problem. If it's free, the problem is in the cable or its routing (and I'm still betting on the latter).

Pretty smart those shops. They install cables that can only fail when out of state.........
Some days it's just not worth chewing through the restraints.....

Richard Sjolund
356 Fan

#17 Post by Richard Sjolund »

Wes Bender wrote:I have tools, jack and floor stands. Where in AZ will you be snow-birding? I'm in the Baja segment of the AZ Outlaws. If you're in the northern part I'm sure several of the guys up there have tools too.

When you get back out in January, use a small piece of square stock or maybe even a match stick and see if the speedometer disc spins freely (or nearly so). It turns counterclockwise, looking at the back. If it is stiff or difficult to turn, you've probably found your problem. If it's free, the problem is in the cable or its routing (and I'm still betting on the latter).
Pretty smart those shops. They install cables that can only fail when out of state.........
Thanks Wes. We rent a house in Scottsdale - near Old town and fourtillfour Coffee and Porsches ... I'm looking forward to getting back there ...

Here is today's Iowa forecast:

10:00 PM
THU Snow Showers

Sleep well, Ruby ....
Richard Sjolund
Solon, (Iowa City), Iowa
"Ruby" 1964 (September, 1963) 356 C Karmann Coupe (Ruby Red, color:6402)
On the 356 Registry cover- November, 2005; July, 2018
Ford F150 4X4 (Winter Snow Plow)
2015 Audi A4 Quattro (Wife's car)

David Jones
Classifieds Moderator
Tag: I wish I knew as much as I think I know.

#18 Post by David Jones »

Richard/Wes, a square drive screwdriver bit fits the speedo and tach drive. Try any hardware store or Harbor freight for a cheap set.
If using a drill you can check the calibration of both instruments if you know the max rpm. Stock wheel size rotates at about 860 revs per mile rpm with a slight difference for different manufacturers.
If I had known I would live this long I would have pushed the envelope a little harder.
Cymru am byth
David Jones #9715

Wes Bender
356 Fan

#19 Post by Wes Bender »

We've got a cooling trend going so temps will be in the 70s and maybe high 60s for the next week. Did you think to rent a heated garage?

Thanks for tip David. I've got a short piece of cable left over from my Halda days but have used any number of things to spin the speedometer cup.
Some days it's just not worth chewing through the restraints.....

David Jones
Classifieds Moderator

#20 Post by David Jones »

Wes, with lows in the low 20's and highs around 38 on Saturday I will have to drive the Lexus to cars n coffee on Saturday morning because the boxster has summer tires on it so I would prefer you don't whine about low 70's high 60's. My 356's both have working heaters but getting high enough rpm for long enough to get warm takes at least as long as it takes to get to cars n coffee if I set off at 8 am at 30 degrees.
Thanks a lot.
If I had known I would live this long I would have pushed the envelope a little harder.
Cymru am byth
David Jones #9715

Dave Wildrick
356 Fan

#21 Post by Dave Wildrick »

David Jones wrote:My 356's both have working heaters.
Yeah, as effective as a cat breathing on your ankle.
Dave Wildrick
Houston, TX
64C coupe
65C coupe

Martin Benade
356 Fan

#22 Post by Martin Benade »

And cats are notoriously hard to train. As for the cable I am pretty sure with some reaching around the tire, it could be done on the ground pretty easily. Turn the wheels all the way to the right. The only disassembly is to remove the hubcap.
Cleveland Ohio
62 Cabriolet
56 VW
02 IS 300
04 Sienna

David Jones
Classifieds Moderator

#23 Post by David Jones »

Not that easy Martin. Hubcap, then rubber dust cover, then split pin and to make re-assembly easier remove the grease cap or you will never get the speedo cable end to locate in the grease cap. By the way to remove the grease cap easily take a 3/8" socket extension and lay it in the gap between grease cap and drum and hit it with a hammer. That will force the cap off without putting dings in it with a hammer hitting it directly.
Cymru am byth
David Jones #9715

Martin Benade
356 Fan

#24 Post by Martin Benade »

I have gotten the wheel end in place by twisting the speedo end, but better with 2 people. I can't remember if my T6 never had a rubber cap or if is missing. It is possibly one of those short cuts that is harder than the long way.
Cleveland Ohio
62 Cabriolet
56 VW
02 IS 300
04 Sienna

Doug McDonnell
356 Fan

#25 Post by Doug McDonnell »

Weather update: View from my window this morning towards the Creek. And don't forget to use the little grommet where cable goes into the wheel: https://www.stoddard.com/64474112100.html.html Also in your wheel well there should be a little strap that the cable goes through that helps it stay where it should be. See picture below.
Attachments
speedometer%20cable%20strap%20006.JPG
speedometer%20cable%20strap%20006.JPG (50.15 KiB) Viewed 492 times
IMG_1624.JPG
1965 356C 2000 BMW 740i Sport 1967 Honda CL77 There is never enough time to do it right, but always enough time to do it over.