Hi I’m new here

356 Porsche-related discussions and questions.
Charles Robertson
356 Fan

Hi I’m new here

#1 Post by Charles Robertson »

I’ve been searching high and low for a 356 speedster of roadster D. Everything I’m finding is pretty much concourse condition. However I’m looking for a good driver car so that I can enjoy it. I’m not that interested in doing car shows etc so a driver fits the bill for me.
I’m not sure if I posted this in the correct section? Maybe I should have put it in the classifieds.

Anyways I’m looking forward to hanging out here and continuing my search.

Thanks
Chas :D
“Life should NOT be a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in an attractive and well preserved body, but rather to skid in sideways, beer in hand thoroughly worn out and screaming “HOLY ****" what a ride!”............Chas

Adam Wright
Classifieds Monitor
Tag: KTF

Re: Hi I’m new here

#2 Post by Adam Wright »

Welcome to the club!

My advice is get as involved as possible in anything Porsche related. The car you're describing is the kind of car that shows up at events, a car that is driven and enjoyed. For example, I went to a fun race one weekend a few years back, the Peekskill Grand Prix, there were a couple of other 356's there, one was a driver Convertible D, just like what you're asking about.
Another recent good event was our own East Coast Holiday that happened a few weeks ago in Ocean City, NJ.
Get involved, make friends, the best cars never hit the open market, they sell quietly amongst friends. I know of a Speedster that was sold new in Philly, it is on it's 5th owner, and has never left a 20 mile area.
Last piece of advice, if you're serious about buying, make sure you money is liquid. A good deal will not wait a week to cash out a money market account.
Attachments
1.JPG
2.jpg
9.JPG
www.unobtanium-inc.com
Check out my Barn Find column in the Registry magazine, always looking for good stories.

Charles Robertson
356 Fan

#3 Post by Charles Robertson »

Thanks Adam much appredicated advice.
Ill check the local chapter events.
“Life should NOT be a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in an attractive and well preserved body, but rather to skid in sideways, beer in hand thoroughly worn out and screaming “HOLY ****" what a ride!”............Chas

Adam Wright
Classifieds Monitor
Tag: KTF

#4 Post by Adam Wright »

Charles Robertson wrote:Thanks Adam much appredicated advice.
Ill check the local chapter events.
Touch base with the local club, Rich is a good friend of mine.

Ohio Tub Fanatics

Richard King 1500 Fairchild Avenue, Kent, OH 44240

330-678-6259
Attachments
king2.jpg
www.unobtanium-inc.com
Check out my Barn Find column in the Registry magazine, always looking for good stories.

Charles Robertson
356 Fan

#5 Post by Charles Robertson »

Im on it

David Jones
Classifieds Moderator
Tag: I wish I knew as much as I think I know.

#6 Post by David Jones »

Depending on where you are in Ohio there is a dedicated band of enthusiasts in the South headquartered in the Dayton/Cincy corridor.
https://dreistaatengruppe.com
If I had known I would live this long I would have pushed the envelope a little harder.
Cymru am byth
David Jones #9715

Charles Robertson
356 Fan

#7 Post by Charles Robertson »

Cheers David

Richard Shilling
356 Fan
Tag: Ex 356 Mechanic

#8 Post by Richard Shilling »

My advice to your question is: Cast Your Net Wide. Get an electronic subscription to Hemmings Motor News. Check eBay regularly. Go to as many 356 club websites as you can and see if they have a classified section. Check the classifieds in you local paper. In the Resources section send e-mails to shops that work on 356's and tell them what you're looking for. Be ready to spring, but always have the car checked out before buying.

Good luck.
Richard Shilling
1965 356C dolphingrey 

Jules Dielen
356 Fan

#9 Post by Jules Dielen »

https://www.ebay.com/itm/1960-Porsche-3 ... ctupt=true

Welcome to the Registry, Charles! Stay away from cars like this unless you are willing to go on a very expensive adventure :)

are you looking for a speedster/ convertible D or also a roadster? Roadster D is a bit confusing.
Jules

Water pumps are for windshield washers only.

George Hussey
356 Fan

#10 Post by George Hussey »

unfortunately even a driver quality roadster these days is over 100 thousand. In a previous thread there is a yellow one listed that would take over 100 grand to even begin to restore nicely, will be interesting to see for what it sells

Charles Robertson wrote:I’ve been searching high and low for a 356 speedster of roadster D. Everything I’m finding is pretty much concourse condition. However I’m looking for a good driver car so that I can enjoy it. I’m not that interested in doing car shows etc so a driver fits the bill for me.
I’m not sure if I posted this in the correct section? Maybe I should have put it in the classifieds.

Anyways I’m looking forward to hanging out here and continuing my search.

Thanks
Chas :D
George Hussey

David Jones
Classifieds Moderator
Tag: I wish I knew as much as I think I know.

#11 Post by David Jones »

Charles, I sent you a private E-mail regarding cars for sale. Knowing you are new to the registry you may not be expecting an e-mail and it could got to your junk mail. If you PM me from the e-mail button I can give you more details.
If I had known I would live this long I would have pushed the envelope a little harder.
Cymru am byth
David Jones #9715

Charles Robertson
356 Fan

#12 Post by Charles Robertson »

Jules Dielen wrote:https://www.ebay.com/itm/1960-Porsche-3 ... ctupt=true

Welcome to the Registry, Charles! Stay away from cars like this unless you are willing to go on a very expensive adventure :)

are you looking for a speedster/ convertible D or also a roadster? Roadster D is a bit confusing.
Yeah Jules absolutely LOL

Curt Dansby
356 Fan

#13 Post by Curt Dansby »

Hi Chas
Welcome to the club. I believe if you make contact with people in your area you will find folks willing to help you in your search and a wealth of knowledge at your disposal.

Do not be in a hurry the "right" car will come along.

Hope to see you at a future event.
Curt

Peter Boettcher
356 Fan

#14 Post by Peter Boettcher »

Hi Chas,

Sent you an email about the Drei Staaten Gruppe here in southern Ohio.
Would be happy to help with your search.
We have a couple of really good experts in the Gruppe that would be happy to help guide you.

356 Regards,

Peter OpaX2 Boettcher
Peter Boettcher

Doug McDonnell
356 Fan

#15 Post by Doug McDonnell »

And there is a new Roadster in classifieds today. Nearing completion of restoration so not a driver maybe. https://porsche356registry.org/classifieds/23507
1965 356C 2000 BMW 740i Sport 1967 Honda CL77 There is never enough time to do it right, but always enough time to do it over.